Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie needs advice on renting tenants.

Options
  • 06-01-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey, just wondering can anyone advise me, I am a property owner, acquired recently, looking to rent out accommodation to 3 people. What relevant info do I need to start renting?

Any fees or registration of the property needed for renting? One future tenant is on Jobseekers Allowance but not looking for rent allowance, will that effect anything with the Social Welfare etc?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

http://www.irishlandlord.com should give you a good start. Do not sign a lease with these people until you know what you are doing and what your obligations and their rights (and yours) are.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

howya ,

if you get yourself over to the irishlandlord and with more deatils

but importantly

you cant let a room only anymore under the 2013 standards a "self contained unit" is what is needed so the whole house would need to be rented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

discodavie wrote: »
    howya ,

if you get yourself over to the irishlandlord and with more deatils

but importantly

you cant let a room only anymore under the 2013 standards a "self contained unit" is what is needed so the whole house would need to be rented
    I dont think thats true. That would be an over interpretation of the legislation. The spirit of the legislation is to outlaw old style bedsits with shared sanitary facilities, not houseshares, student lets or rent a rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dont think thats true. That would be an over interpretation of the legislation. The spirit of the legislation is to outlaw old style bedsits with shared sanitary facilities, not houseshares, student lets or rent a rooms.

Exactly. complete misreading of the legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

You need to;
    1. read the 2004 Residential Tenancies act
    2. Don't advertise the house for rent until you have a BER (Building Energy Rating) and then display it in the ad, from the start of this year it's illegal not to display this info.
    3. Be prepared to pay the Non Principal Private Residences Tax payment of €200
    4. Be prepared to submit your tenancy details to the Private Residential Tenancies Board payment of €90 or €180 if your late registering - these are linked to the revenue so declare your income. They are also the first mediation process BEFORE the courts if you and the tenant have a disagreement that you can't solve
    5. Get a proper lease made out - Irish Landlord.com have sample copies and are a very good source of information
    6. Think about using an accountant for the first few years to submit your tax returns - they know what is an allowable expense
    7. Never give anyone keys until you have checked their references, made sure you have their deposit and that the PRTB form is filled in

There is a LOT more than this, search this forum on other threads and then add all the info together

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

You do not need to pay a accountant to do a tax return, phone revenue and they will send you out the correct form to fill out it takes about 10 minutes and you return it to them. Keep any receipts that you get for work or things you need to buy for the house for maintenance. A good estate agent would help you rent the house out and they can sort out the lease for you. This will cost you a months rent but the benefit is that you are getting a experienced person to help you vet tenants. I do stress that you would need to get a good estate agent as there are a lot of cowboys out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

theredguy wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering can anyone advise me, I am a property owner, acquired recently, looking to rent out accommodation to 3 people. What relevant info do I need to start renting?

Any fees or registration of the property needed for renting? One future tenant is on Jobseekers Allowance but not looking for rent allowance, will that effect anything with the Social Welfare etc?

Any help appreciated.

Will you be living there also?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Firstly the rent a room scheme doesn't fall under the 2004 act

The spirit of the act with regards to minimum standards is to improve the old minimum etc but the op was making references to 3 people and I'm taking that to mean 3 leases which you cannot do.

If you are going to rent to a group it needs to be a single lease with three people on it jointly and severely liable

As for doing the first time let quietsailor was bang on the money there

Advertisement