Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Underground on Dame Street

Options
  • 06-01-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've never posted here before but for some reason the Underground band venue that used to be on Dame Street came to mind. thought I'd come on and see if anyone remembers it.

For those of you under 35 or so it was across from the junction of Georges Street and Dame Street (not sure what is there now as I emigrated a long time ago).

Basically it was Irelands answer to CBGB's with bands ranging from absolutely hopeless to fairly proficient. Once you got to a certain level you moved on to the Baggot that had better sound but was not nearly as cool.

Spent many a day in the Underground knocking back pints and listening to the likes of A House, the Gorehounds, and the like. Good memories.

It was run by a guy called Jeff and I think his father owned it. as far as I remember when the Rock Garden came to Dublin they bought the Undergrounds license and that was the end.

Oh yeah, to get to the stink in jacks you had to get up on the stage.....

Wondering if there are any other dinosaurs who remember the place fondly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's a blast from the past! I spent many a Friday & Saturday evening in there & remember Jeff well. My mates' bands (Dance Barefoot, The Pink Hurts) played there a few times. if memory serves me correct I also remember seeing Therapy?, Whipping Boy, A House, Ash, The Pale & The Fat Lady Sings amongst many others.

Great days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 VirginPrune

Hi Hill Billy. I remember in the late eighties they introduced a "happy hour" from about 3-5 on Wednesdays. This was before the Celtic tiger so half the city was unemployed. Attracted a real motley crew of musos, cheapskates and full blown alcos. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

It is club lapello now, a lap dancing bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Played there loads of times, we did a Saturday afternoon session at one point that went really well. Great venue, if just a bit cramped onstage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yep, I remember it well. :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Had a box stage with the toilets at the back and the bar along the side in front. Saw TD Terrorist play live there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It was a great grotty gritty venue. Saw some good punk bands there back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Was La Meza Luna for a few years also.

This dinosaur remembers it as a smashing little venue along with the likes of Sides and Risks and the one down Clare Court which I can't recall the name of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I remember my brother saw The Slowest Clock there - I was so jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I played there a lot in the 80's. It was great always a good laugh. Jeff had a terrible habit of not get his orders in on time and the taps would sometimes run dry on a busy Saturday night.It was cramped on stage. I played bass and I would spend the evening lifting up the neck of the guitar, during the gig, to let people pass to get to the jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 dpw11104

played drums there a couple of times , anyone going to the jacks would have to squeeze past.

Advertisement