Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores Briarhill

Options
  • 06-01-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Anybody notice that the fruit n veg stock in Briarhill seems to be very low. Very hard to get tomatoes, also they have bad selection of bread at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you speak to anyone in charge? Maybe they didn't get enough stock this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

Yep, its shocking lately. Very badly stocked. On friday fruit and veg almost empty and meat nearly all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Noticed same problem in Dunnes Eyre Square, started just this week.

Maybe there are more shoppers around than they expected, or their ordering systems are a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tiramisu

Totally agree.

I usually use Tesco in Oranmore but went into Dunnes Briarhill this evening.

Most of the fruit and veg shelves were empty, as was the meat section. Very limited supply of yogurts also.

Won't be going there again for a while. Only did half a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is there any place on the east side of the city to get good F&Veg? Probably the best is Terryland F&V but it's a nightmare getting there in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I was there this evening and the stocks of fruit and veg was shocking, about 80-90% of the shelves/displays empty! Hardly any fresh meat either, have never seen it like this. It will definitely deter me from shopping there again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

i always find that the fruit and veg i buy in lidl or aldi lasts way longer than those from the irish/british multiples, and its way cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

dunnes in terryland was shocking yesterday. little to no veg ie peppers onions.
    very low on meat and a loaf or two of bread. milk was also gone so was most of the frozen foods, pizza, fish.
    only thing that looked topped up was fizzy drinks sweets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Could be letting the stock run low for a stocktake. Dunnes normally do one around now if I'm not mistaken. And I don't know if LIDL or aldis long life fruit and Veg is such a good thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Same thing in dunnes westside, 95% empty Fruit n veg aisles, looked like a Russian store..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

LIDL in doughiska was pretty much starved of veg yesterday also. I thought they were spring cleaning! Wonder is there something more widespread going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Aldi on headford had hardly any veg left either.

Was there yesterday eve. Have to go get my veg today somewhere else today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Aldi and Dunnes in Westside were nearly completely out of milk and veg on Thursday and Friday. We asked staff in each about it, and in both shops they said it had been like Christmas week; it was mad busy and they just didn't have the stock to cope with the demand. They said they had never experienced anything like it before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

GalwayFirst headline: We're running out of fresh food!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To me, the city centre still feels busy - not like the usual January slump.

That said, all supermarkets running out of fresh stuff is odd: the Germans are pretty clued up re sales each day, and good at making stock levels meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Tiramisu wrote: »
    Totally agree.

I usually use Tesco in Oranmore but went into Dunnes Briarhill this evening.

Most of the fruit and veg shelves were empty, as was the meat section. Very limited supply of yogurts also.

Won't be going there again for a while. Only did half a shop.

you would have been no better off had you of shopping in Tesco Oranmore! dont usually shop there but did last night and my god the fruit and veg were bare! got last 3 bananas left. only tomatoes could get were cherry tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

they are stocktaking in all the big named shops. dont panic people,,remember xmas was only two weeks ago and delivery,s are not back to normal yet..ye are not going to starve.

cats.life wrote: »
    they are stocktaking in all the big named shops. dont panic people,,remember xmas was only two weeks ago and delivery,s are not back to normal yet..ye are not going to starve.

If you saw the empty shelves i saw yesterday you would wonder! .. have to find a greengrocer i guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Last Thursday Lidl in Tuam had whole swathes of shelves, fridges etc completely empty. It looked as if the business was closing down. It didn't inspire consumer confidence.
    On Saturday it had improved but only slightly. I accept shops must stock take but what are their customers to do? Just take it or lump it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

cats.life wrote: »

Noones panicking. Just strange is all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Did shopping in Dunnes Briarhill on Friday night, only got half a shop, no milk, bread, no chicken. Complained on check out and the girl said that Friday was like christmas eve in there it was mad busy she said. Put it down to vouchers coming out in the post.
    Went back in Sat. to finish it around 12 and all the Dunnes milk was already gone, it must be people have'nt really done a proper shop since christmas and with the children's allowence, and back to school Monday everyone is just getting back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Did shopping in Dunnes Briarhill on Friday night, only got half a shop, no milk, bread, no chicken. Complained on check out and the girl said that Friday was like christmas eve in there it was mad busy she said.

I was in Briarhill a few times over christmas - you'd swear they were closing down for good.

I've often seen empty shelves on supermarkets (not just dunnes) on Mondays, so I'd hazard a guess that delivery schedules were disrupted over christmas (nothing unusual about that), and there's only so much room for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

i always find that the fruit and veg i buy in lidl or aldi lasts way longer than those from the irish/british multiples, and its way cheaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Who does stocktakes on perishables? It makes no sense unless you do it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Who does stocktakes on perishables? It makes no sense unless you do it every day.

Which is why they were running them down - less things on the shelves & in storage makes it easier to count.

There was nothing on the shelves at all, in F&Veg section - no stocktake needed,- just a delivery- in Westside dunnes sunday! :D

back to kumarket for me i reckon....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

It's nothing to do with a stocktake anyways as stocktakes are done every night in Dunnes on F&V.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This seems pretty odd to me. People buy more milk at Christmas because they expect visitors but for the rest of the year I'd say demand must be pretty steady and predictable.Same with fruit and veg and meat. They aren't things you can stock up on for long or that people suddenly eat very large volumes of.
    It's sounds more like they're having trouble with distributors to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

whineflu wrote: »

That article says that the only foods that have been cleared for irradiation in the EU are spices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement