Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Glen of the Downs warning

• 28-12-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭

Seen a lot of crashes there over the last few months, both Southbound and Northbound. The place has its own micro climate and the road surface can be very slippery, especially on entry going South.

Slow down people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Yep and there was only another one yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

And be careful if pulling a boat on a trailer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

There must be an oil spill there as I have seen one crashed car and 2 lose control but gather the car and not crash. The two cars I seen where well within the speed limit too.

The barrier on the left is destroyed and the grass verge on the right has had a good few cars go through it side ways.

Has anyone reported it to Wiclow Co Co?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Gardai are advising motorists travelling on the N11 Dublin/Wexford Road to drive with extreme care at the Glen of the Downs over the new year as there have been a number of collisions along the route over the weekend.

The weather forecast gives sharp ground frost for tonight which will develop during clear spells with the risk of icy patches. Lowest temperatures will range 1 to 4 degrees.

http://www.wicklownews.net/Post/2012/12/3674/gardai-advise-motorists-to-drive-with-care-following-collisions-on-n11-

Heard it being said on east coast too!!

Drive safe this New Year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Hi there,

Some of you may have seen the 'warning bends ahead' mobile warning sign travelling north about 200m before the bend outside Glenview hotel, well it's there cause of a number of accidents recently.

I have seen first hand a car lose control, dart left and then right before completing a 360 right in front of us. This was on Xmas morn, family driving with 2 kids, no speeding and no cars around. Thankfully we had room to stop and everyone got away fine, however a number have ended up in the ditch on the left going by the wrecked barriers and the grass verge on the right has numerous tyre marks going through them. Having driven the route today looking out or the marks, we couldn't believe how many there were.

There is a link here mentioning about it also, it was in the Wicklow forum.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056840751?page=1#post_82449771

So, beware if you're driving the road!

NC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

There is an accident there most weeks, when they were building that section of road they were more concerned about the eco warriors in the trees than getting the road built at the proper angle /camber.

Camber can mean the angle and curvature of the road surface. Often, on an oval circuit, the corners of the track have a steep angle so that the outside edge is higher than the inside edge. This is the camber of the road. The faster a car goes into a corner, the chances are that the angle from the inside edge to the outside edge needs to become steeper so that the vehicle will maintain grip, and not slide and miss the turn. This is all caused by the physical laws of motion in a curved line (centrifugal/centripetal motion) like some of us had to deal with in high school physics. Many roading engineers incorporate camber in public road designs, and getting the correct camber for the likely road speed is an important part of road safety design.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

bido wrote: »
    There is an accident there most weeks, when they were building that section of road they were more concerned about the eco warriors in the trees than getting the road built at the proper angle /camber.

Camber can mean the angle and curvature of the road surface. Often, on an oval circuit, the corners of the track have a steep angle so that the outside edge is higher than the inside edge. This is the camber of the road. The faster a car goes into a corner, the chances are that the angle from the inside edge to the outside edge needs to become steeper so that the vehicle will maintain grip, and not slide and miss the turn. This is all caused by the physical laws of motion in a curved line (centrifugal/centripetal motion) like some of us had to deal with in high school physics. Many roading engineers incorporate camber in public road designs, and getting the correct camber for the likely road speed is an important part of road safety design.:mad::mad:

Camber is a feature of many roads, even straight ones. It is the difference in height between the edge of the road and the centre of the road to enable rain water to drain off. Well on well made roads anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

homer911 wrote: »
    Camber is a feature of many roads, even straight ones. It is the difference in height between the edge of the road and the centre of the road to enable rain water to drain off.

and for the most part roads are cambered from the inside towards the outside, apart from higher speed corner sections of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I see there's a temporary road sign in place warning of bends in the road. A few weeks ago I saw a car up in the trees after going through the wooden fence, just before the hotel, I've never gotten the image out of my head and it sure convinced me to take it easy going through Glen of the Downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

The speed limit is pretty slow there isn't it? Or is the place you mean just before the 60, or is it 50 zone? Don't know if it's the same crash, but I heard of A 'car in trees' crash recently around there, and apparently the guy just hurt ribs and a had a surface wound where a pointed branch 'pierced his ear'.

I have noticed that at night driving there are places on the road where the temperature can drop suddenly by a few degrees, around the Glen is one, and around Jack White's is another one. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

The speed limit is 80 in the bends, most people do not drop down from 100 as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Northbound it's 100, the 80 is only southbound. It used to be 80 in both directions I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I often wonder ho people screw up on that section of the road - I simply have never, ever, found it to be anything other than completely straightforward to drive. I just can't work out what way people are handling their car if they have an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

The mobile phone signal coincidentally drops out there. I've considered this to be a factor. People farting around on the keys whilst driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

wouldn't be surprised if its down to mobile phone use, no call could be that urgent that you risk an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

There was a random "slow down" illuminated sign approaching there northbound this morning.

Heading north, its a perfectly normal stretch of road.
    Southbound, more caution is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi it's a very dangerous bend and all that needs to be done is to lay the anti skid tarmac surface.

I have came very close to going straight through a 3 series when it was raining heavy.
    I was well back from the car in front and I was driving a very big vehicle and the bmw spun out while overtaking then hit the center concrete barrier and then across into a van with a trailer and all in front of me.

The bends are to bad a angle and very bad planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hi it's a very dangerous bend and all that needs to be done is to lay the anti skid tarmac surface.

I have came very close to going straight through a 3 series when it was raining heavy.
    I was well back from the car in front and I was driving a very big vehicle and the bmw spun out while overtaking then hit the center concrete barrier and then across into a van with a trailer and all in front of me.

That was a bad driver driving without due care for the prevailing conditions.
    The road curvature was not the problem there.

As I said, the road is fine if people are aware of the conditions, have a competent set of tyres on and are focused on the road.

If the above are not the case, incidents will occur on the straightest of roads.

I dont want to see another reduced speed zone northbound, already making a pain in the ass stretch of road un-bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

The water was flowing across the road and the car aquaplaned.

Yes you are right about driver error and tyres are very important but the bends are way too sharp.

As I said all the road needs is the anti skid surface put down.

The northbound section is fine the problem is the southbound section which wasn't built properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

The water was flowing across the road and the car aquaplaned.

Yes you are right about driver error and tyres are very important but the bends are way too sharp.

As I said all the road needs is the anti skid surface put down.

Some surface water warning signs needed and a variable speed limit during heavy rain conditions.

I've aquaplaned in a car...when I was 19 and stupid. I was driving an old car and hit standing water on the M3 motorway in the UK. Next second the steering wheel was turning like it was no longer connected to the wheels.

I luckily managed to slow down, regain control and have never ever done it again. In poor conditions I moderate my speed. I'm not a boring old fart, I've ridden supersport motorcycles, have driven large vans and fast cars.

Driver education is what's lacking. You cannot expect to do 100-120 km/h even in a modern car over standing water and expect to get away with it time and time again.

So in my opinion, people do drive too fast for the prevailing conditions, because I certainly used to, but was lucky and learnt a lesson fast at a young age.

Skid pan driving for all learners would be great. I'd have loved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no it's not, not at all. In the wet it may be slightly slippy but you should be driving to the conditions and account for that. I've never had or seen a problem with it while driving it ever, wet, dry, snow or otherwise.
    In the dry you can take it n probs at 100 (or 130 for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

I noticed theirs a red transit speed camera type van there alot these days. Just before the Glenview on the left where the red road cones are positioned. With all the accidents there lately it's maybe not a bad idea....

The speed limit on that side is 80km so if you were driving at 130km as you seem to suggest you were driving at 50km over the limit which was put there for a reason, so you may have been the cause of one of the accidents when you were doing that speed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Over the years I've seen a number of cars turned over or facing the wrong way from spinning there (both sides north and southbound). In every case the cars I saw were rear wheel drive. I'm not saying this is the real problem and it doesn't affect front wheel drive cars - obviously speed, road conditions, camber etc are other factors. Perhaps rear wheel drive adds an additonal element?! Just curious OP, what type of car was it that you saw?

Just on the camber issue, the roundabout at Bray South exit at Kilcroney furniture is so dodgy because of excessive camber I've had to correct the car a couple of times at a very low speed during wet conditions. Beware of that one too.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

The speed limit on that side is 80km so if you were driving at 130km as you seem to suggest you were driving at 50km over the limit which was put there for a reason, so you may have been the cause of one of the accidents when you were doing that speed.:rolleyes:
    Are you sure re the speed limit heading north? Coming south it definitely drops to 80 but heading north I didn't see a 80 sign. I double checked this as I saw the speed camera van on the north bound side, cones around it. I checked the next morning when I was heading north again and there were no 80 signs on that side. This was pre Christmas.

The 80 signs are only on the south bound side. the red speed van was parked on the north bound side one day around Xmas. a car drove straight into the grass bank on the left hand side of the road. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Then you can add to the mix the possibility of a few too many drinks and other substances best left in Columbia.

Sadly Ireland (according to the RSA - and who am I to disagree) has a higher death rate per million on the roads than the UK. The UK as we know has one of Europe's busiest motorways in the M25.

Ireland has a problem with driving standards, the facts all too often, stand out. Now I don't know if it is a lack of law enforcement, the issue of "free" full licences many years back or what?

The mainly rural nature of the island probably doesn't help matters and the predominately wet / damp road conditions.~

Do learners in colder climates get compulsory training on ice/snow surfaces? Perhaps we need additional wet weather training during learner lessons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The northbound section is fine the problem is the southbound section which wasn't built properly.

Very rare to see an accident on the southbound side were there have been many on the northbound side.

The limit on the northbound side is 100km/h from way back to Wicklow right up to Kilmac. It was 80km/h once upon a time but it was all revised a few years back. I'd say it will probably be reduced back if the accidents continue though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

DD9090 wrote: »
    Very rare to see an accident on the southbound side were there have been many on the northbound side.
    Agreed

Advertisement