Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Glen of the Downs warning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Let's be real here people make mistakes and with that road design there is no room for any error whatsoever.

If for any reason the car goes a tiny bit off course you are on top of the concrete barriers before you know it.

There are some very long skid marks on the concrete but some are off the one vehicle as it slid along it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Let's be real here people make mistakes and with that road design there is no room for any error whatsoever.

If for any reason the car goes a tiny bit off course you are on top of the concrete barriers before you know it.

There are some very long skid marks on the concrete but some are off the one vehicle as it slid along it.

As you say skid marks on the concrete, several marks infact on the southbound carriageway. A check with the local Garda will confirm that most of the accidents are on the south bound side. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just on the camber issue, the roundabout at Bray South exit at Kilcroney furniture is so dodgy because of excessive camber I've had to correct the car a couple of times at a very low speed during wet conditions. Beware of that one too.

Funny, I always put that down to oil spillage from tankers leaving the garage. That is some roundabout to try and negotiate on a bike-even in the dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Funny, I always put that down to oil spillage from tankers leaving the garage. That is some roundabout to try and negotiate on a bike-even in the dry

Lethal I would imagine. My understanding is that on any corner, which the roundabout is, the tarmac gets polished by the constant scrubbing of vehicle tyres.

As this is a very heavy use roundabout with tight turns I think the surface has become polished/worn.

I used to work at Heathrow Airport and the roundabouts there were deadly in the wet, due to the excessive number of kerosene tankers and diesel delivery vans / lorries. So yes I think a combination of polished worn surface and spilt diesel over the course of time.

Even at 20mph in a modern car with excellent tyres I slip around that roundabout in the wet.

OK when you use regularly in a car, absolutely dangerous when it's your first time on a motorcycle. Pity the poor out of town visitor on a wet morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Even at 20mph in a modern car with excellent tyres I slip around that roundabout in the wet.
    Really? I use that roundabout regularly in all weathers and have never had a single problem.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Really? I use that roundabout regularly in all weathers and have never had a single problem.

You're kidding right?? If you come from Southern Cross and want to go N11 North, the minute you pass the N11 exit slip road and start to turn around the roundabout you can feel the front tyres struggling for grip in the wet.

This is at sensible speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No I'm not kidding, otherwise I wouldn't have said it would I?

Alun wrote: »
    No I'm not kidding, otherwise I wouldn't have said it would I?

It was more an exasperation and not a question...anyway..moving on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Originally Posted by DD9090
    Very rare to see an accident on the southbound side were there have been many on the northbound side.
    Agreed

This is rubbish. I came across 2 fatal accidents there, commuting home late in the evening, after 8 and 10 pm wet, winter's evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cathyht wrote: »
    Originally Posted by DD9090
    Very rare to see an accident on the southbound side were there have been many on the northbound side.
    Agreed

This is rubbish. I came across 2 fatal accidents there, commuting home late in the evening, after 8 and 10 pm wet, winter's evenings.

.... and where did I say there have been no accidents?

"rare" is the word I used. :)

• Advertisement

DD9090 wrote: »
    .... and where did I say there have been no accidents?

"rare" is the word I used. :)

I suppose they aren't daily. But when you use that road every evening during weekdays, it is pretty frequent.

Watch how often glass from lights, skids from minor skirmishes are on the road there. It's a dangerous stretch. Let no-one say otherwise. Jack White's is dangerous stretch too, for different reasons.

And there's a roundabout going out of Arklow, before Servier that is often like glass, 2 days ago I felt the car going from under me on it, and it's at a 50km zone, which I'm mindful of being waaaay under because the Gatso van is often there. These ARE dangerous roundabouts.

Cathyht wrote: »
    I suppose they aren't daily. But when you use that road every evening during weekdays, it is pretty frequent.

Watch how often glass from lights, skids from minor skirmishes are on the road there. It's a dangerous stretch. Let no-one say otherwise. Jack White's is dangerous stretch too, for different reasons.

And there's a roundabout going out of Arklow, before Servier that is often like glass, 2 days ago I felt the car going from under me on it, and it's at a 50km zone, which I'm mindful of being waaaay under because the Gatso van is often there. These ARE dangerous roundabouts.

I'm not a highways engineer, but I know that road surfaces, especially bends (and roundabouts are sharp bends) have a limited life span. Due as I mentioned to the continuous scrubbing from tyres as vehicles continuously turn.

I suspect with the economic climate as it is, road maintenance funding is way down on the list these days. So poor surfaces are not going to improve much.

I know in the UK (Ireland should be the same) there is a standard coefficient of friction used for all new road surfaces. I.e. the amount of grip offered. All roads must meet certain standards.

I would imagine if a fatality occurred on a roundabout with a worn out surface a case could be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Skid pan driving for all learners would be great.

Not much use to you when a concrete barrier is only inches away.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Accidents southbound are common. If anything more common than northnound as the concrete barrier is right on the outside of the bend hence no room for error if you are in the fast lane. Which is why the 80 limit is only applied heading south.

What lifebegins.. mentions re the kilcroney furniture roundabout is spot on. It is lethal.

Not much use to you when a concrete barrier is only inches away.

Depends on what direction the skid is taking you. Think about it.

Depends on what direction the skid is taking you. Think about it.

Southbound at the entry to GOD the skid is taking you into the concrete barrier, understeer, oversteer, either way.

Southbound at the entry to GOD the skid is taking you into the concrete barrier, understeer, oversteer, either way.

Exactly...so any additional training drivers can receive will make Ireland's roads a safer place to drive. People that say "skid training wont help me" are sooner or later going to skid into something and wish they did receive it.

There is a reason the RSA figures for deaths per million are higher in Ireland than other EU states. That reason is down to the quality of instruction and the enforcement of the rules.

We have one of the highest accident rates in the EU. Not surprising really with almost non-existent law enforcement and an estimated 100,000 drivers on the road who have NEVER passed a driving test. Not to mention learner drivers STILL going out unaccompanied.

We cant keep our heads in the sand and blame the road camber all the time you know!

I agree 100%, my point is that skid pan training won't help you in that situation, once the car looses traction there only luck will keep you out of the barrier.

I agree 100%, my point is that skid pan training won't help you in that situation, once the car looses traction there only luck will keep you out of the barrier.

Most of the M25 motorway in the UK has solid concrete central reservation. Supposed to be a lot safer in stopping vehicles crossing into the opposite carriageway than Armco.

Avoiding a skid is the secret, whether by moderating your speed or keeping a safer distance from the car in front.

The Gatso van there Sat night/Sun morn 1am southbound a mile or so after that roundabout.

• Advertisement

I see a small sign on the Kilcroney roundabout warning of a slippery surface.

That's that fixed then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

absolutely hate driving northbound on this road, you can be tipping along when traffic tries to merge onto the road to your left and theres very short merging lanes, when cars are steaming up the fast lane you have very little margin for error, not being able to move over

3 potholes, fairly substantial just before the Brennanstown riding school sign going north, after speed limit goes up again. Fairly dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

An alert from Wicklow Weather on facebook an hour ago

ALERT: The N11 Dublin/Wexford southbound is down to one lane at Glen of the Downs due to snow and ice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

An alert from Wicklow Weather on facebook an hour ago

ALERT: The N11 Dublin/Wexford southbound is down to one lane at Glen of the Downs due to snow and ice.

Not due to Snow and Ice, due to idiots who have no idea how to safely drive in these conditions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I probably travel road less then once a week but saw accident today. North bound about 2pm. 2 cars in central concrete barrier and lorries stopped as well tough may not have been involved. At least 3 ambulances and fire brigade in attendance.

I don't notice any issue with camber, road surface etc.
    I don't like the exit out of Glen of downs carpark which is the reason why I though southbound is 80kn/hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

the merging lanes onto the N11 are pretty crazy, you can be tipping along when all of a sudden you have a car with very little merging lane looking to cross onto the road, usually someone is shooting up the fast lane too so its hard to move across

I hate this part of the road, needs widening or longer lanes for merging cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Yet another accident today (10am), northbound at Glenview Hotel end. (At the bend)

Hope injuries weren't too serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

axe2grind wrote: »
    Yet another accident today (10am), northbound at Glenview Hotel end. (At the bend)

Hope injuries weren't too serious
    8 Garda cars were there, must have been serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Boaty wrote: »
    8 Garda cars were there, must have been serious.
    Only 2 there when I passed and a 3rd en route when I got to Kilmac.
    Ambulance arrived when I passed and both lanes were still open.

I find it difficult to fathom why there should be accidents there so frequently.

Advertisement