Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What O/S do you use to surf the net?

Options
  • 06-01-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

As the title says what do you use to surf the net? I use Windows 7 and XP and a android smartphone. I'm just interested as to what people are using in this modern day and age.

What Operating System or Device Do You Surf The Net With? 485 votes

Windows 8
    0%
    Windows 7
    8%
    ZascarkaimeralivEwirEunkeljustsomeblokejabberwock[Deleted User]PhibsboroDiddy Kongbtkm8unsl0w5r4tadghSir OxmankirvingMezcitasinkkippyyoyoBlowfishAlmightyCushionOverheal 42 votes
    Windows Vista
    27%
    ChRoMeSickBoydahamstaLex_DiamondsZascarbyteTippexPaulwrtronlivEwirElynchiebucks73RambogenieoisinjustsomeblokejabberwockFastFullBackSleepyAgent Smith 132 votes
    Windows XP
    3%
    kaimerartrongenieDoesNotComputesqurmcurraghyidDeliriumaidankiPirateShampoopaulbokCreasy_bearcharlemontforfcksakeGarIT2packSwords4 16 votes
    Other Windows ie ME, 98, ETC ETC
    7%
    bytelivEwirEjustsomeblokeSkerriesBasqCollibosherDoesNotComputetadghDravokivichsqurmbikokippyKAGYsegasegaDey were SootedWetbench4runswithascriptgman127mookishboyDelirium 37 votes
    Mac OS
    0%
    DeliriumDude111Torqay 3 votes
    Linux Based
    7%
    Lex_DiamondsPaulwCabaalrtronsunbeamlee_baby_simmsZENERefbPhibsboroBasqRoyalMarineSolairKnasherRiesen_MealchallengemasterMenaGonzovisionFeelgoodspongerobinsonBoskowski 34 votes
    Tablet Android
    7%
    SnowbatharneysunbeamKhannieTar.AldarionBopNibletsKnasherPolar IceKAGYBlowfishPogMoThoinSpiceWeaselrunswithascriptTPDnelly17L1m1tless[Deleted User]Deliriummaggy_thatcherVampiricPadraig 37 votes
    Tablet Apple
    10%
    dahamstaTippexPaulwkaimeralynchieoisinjustsomeblokeharneyFastFullBackPhibsboroBasqGurgleSir OxmanDravokivichTar.AldarionCorkfeenKAGYRedisleBlowfishAlmightyCushion 53 votes
    Smartphone Android
    3%
    Rambojustsomeblokelee_baby_simmsZENERBasqtadghsinkMenaGran HermanogebbelGonzovisionwhiteandlightReoil1qTourNorderburseElbowNwm2Eaglebridie 32gnfnrhead 19 votes
    Smartphone Apple
    16%
    dahamstabytePaulwkaimeraCabaaloisinjustsomeblokeharneysunbeamjabberwockZENERGurgleKhannieSir OxmanAdamDravokivichTar.AldarionsqurmMezcitaBopNiblets 80 votes
    Or anything else
    6%
    Lex_DiamondsTippexlynchiebucks73Rambolee_baby_simms[Deleted User]PhibsboroDoesNotComputematt-dublinsinkchallengemasterbaby and crumbleOverhealMenaSabre ManAmiraniwhiteandlightcurraghyidReoil 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Smartphone Apple
    I currently use Firefox 17 with Voyager Linux 12.04 on my laptop and Lubuntu 12.04 on my netbook. Firefox 16 on my 2007 Macbook ( need to upgrade to Snow Leopard for 17 to work). Opera Mini on my Vodafone Smart 858 (Android) and Nokia E7 (Symbian).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Smartphone Apple
    Lynux -> Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ubuntu for phones is rolling out, that needs to be an option :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Linux Based
    Mac is not an OS and you spelled Linux wrong....bloody windows users :p

I use OS X.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Windows Vista
    @Home: Windows 8 with Firefox Nightly build or Windows Phone
    @Work: Windows 7 with Firefox 17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Smartphone Apple
    Feelgood wrote: »
    Mac is not an OS and you spelled Linux wrong....bloody windows users :p

I use OS X.
    Okay I don't know anything about Mac or Linux, Windows is good.

Smartphone Apple
    ED E wrote: »
    Ubuntu for phones is rolling out, that needs to be an option :p
    If I could put it in I would, but I can't edit the Poll, maybe one of the mods could put it in and correct the spelling on Linux and I was told Mac is not an O/S but what would I know I've being using Windows since 95, it's only a bit of fun and gives a general idea to what people are using to surf the net on the Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

Other Windows ie ME, 98, ETC ETC
    i have been using windows xp for many years in one form or another, xp, xp pro, mini xp.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Smartphone Apple
    200motels wrote: »
    If I could put it in I would, but I can't edit the Poll, maybe one of the mods could put it in and correct the spelling on Linux and I was told Mac is not an O/S but what would I know I've being using Windows since 95, it's only a bit of fun and gives a general idea to what people are using to surf the net on the Boards.

Can't edit the poll either :pac: . Think with Vbulletin to edit a poll requires DB editing, so in most cases isn't really feasible.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Smartphone Apple
    Windows 7, Linux Mint 14, Android 4.1.2

Internets! \:pac:/

• Advertisement

Smartphone Apple
    Interesting so far with Windows 7 out in front but not as far as I thought, it goes to show how Tablets and Smart-phones are becoming the main way to access the net, for what it's worth I don't like tablets and I'm no fan of smart-phones even tho I have one, I much prefer a desktop with a keyboard and mouse as you can do a lot more in my opinion with them, of course you can't carry around a desktop, so it's probably the convenience of tablets and smart phones that explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Smartphone Apple
    Linux, webOS and Android. If you have been using computers since '95 maybe it's time to spread your wings a little bit. You might learn new things, like how to spell Linux correctly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Smartphone Apple
    Linux all the way for me on the desktop:
    Work is CentOs
    Home is Ubuntu 12.04 and 8.04 (very old laptop)

Android smartphone. Hoping to move that to the new Ubuntu OS when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Tablet Android
    On this old laptop i use Lubuntu 12.04, its absolutely perfect for browsing and general use.

Home laptop - WIndows 7 with Ubuntu dual boot option.
    Home PC - Windows 7. Shortly upgrading to 8.

Smartphone Apple
    Khannie wrote: »
    Linux all the way for me on the desktop:
    Work is CentOs
    Home is Ubuntu 12.04 and 8.04 (very old laptop)

Android smartphone. Hoping to move that to the new Ubuntu OS when it comes out.

Check out Lubuntu for the old laptop, have it running on a old machine here and it's perfect, very fast and stable. :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Tablet Android
    yoyo wrote: »
    Check out Lubuntu for the old laptop, have it running on a old machine here and it's perfect, very fast and stable. :)

Nick

Lubuntu is great, I even prefer it to the Ubuntu release as it runs much faster but has the software centre available so you can add whatever you like to it. Just put it onto an old Dell laptop (about 8 years old) and its running like a dream. Definitely recommend it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Smartphone Apple
    yoyo wrote: »

Nick

I'm a big lubuntu fan alright, but the graphics card in this box is just too old (10 year old lappy) to run on newer ubuntu's (they don't support the necessary driver set). I had lubuntu 10.04 installed and had some issues with that. 8.04 is actually working a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Windows Vista
    Windows 98 Koth?:confused:

really?

Smartphone Apple
    harney wrote: »
    Linux, webOS and Android. If you have been using computers since '95 maybe it's time to spread your wings a little bit. You might learn new things, like how to spell Linux correctly ;)
    There's no need to be pedantic, I know I spelled Linux wrong, why spread my wings when I'm using two of the best operating systems out there, anything else would be second best.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Or anything else
    I'm using a nexus 7 to type this have an old laptop running back track and a laptop and hptc using win 7 and an iphone and a raspberry pi

Like having choice

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Tablet Apple
    200motels wrote: »
    .... Windows is good.
    :eek: OMG!!! Since when? Used by a lot of people just makes it rather common, not necessarily "good". One must avoid being "common" at all costs.

Howja do your sums? I counted 186 votes; even using Windows 8 I don't think 46 is 60.53% of 186. 46 is 60.53% of 76 but I can't seem to make 76 out of the responses posted. Howja do your sums, huh, huh?

Smartphone Apple
    mathepac wrote: »
    :eek: OMG!!! Since when? Used by a lot of people just makes it rather common, not necessarily "good". One must avoid being "common" at all costs.

Howja do your sums? I counted 186 votes; even using Windows 8 I don't think 46 is 60.53% of 186. 46 is 60.53% of 76 but I can't seem to make 76 out of the responses posted. Howja do your sums, huh, huh?
    Well just because it's common doesn't make it a bad O/S, it's way better than anyone else has to offer and that's why it's common.

Windows Vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Or anything else
    Windows 7 Pro with Firefox 18.0 beta
    iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken Safari, Firefox.

Windows Vista
    Windows 7 Pro with Firefox 18.0 beta
    iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken Safari, Firefox.
    18 was released proper yesterday.

Or anything else
    Windows 8 desktop, Windows 7 laptop (both with Firefox 18), iPhone 4 on iOS 6.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭apachedropout

Windows 7
    Windows 8 laptop with Chrome and Windows Phone 7.8 with IE.

Windows 8 runs like a dream on my almost 5 years old laptop. I've been using it since the Developer Preview and can safely say now it's my favourite version of Windows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Tablet Apple
    OS X (Snow Leopard on lap-top, Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard on desk-tops), Android ICS on Tablet, Symbian on Phone.

All good.

Smartphone Apple
    mathepac wrote: »

What would you call a good OS then? I cannot stand OSX tbh, don't understand how it is meant to be more "usable" either. Suppose everyone has their own opinions when it comes to which systems they prefare. Lubuntu is great though, Ubuntu has got a bit bloated as of late and I cannot stand that Unity thing. Have Lubuntu on the spare machine I use quite a bit, also it's better better at data recovery from dodgy hard disks than Windows, unless you go the 3rd party software route

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Or anything else
    I like the rawness of Linux and backtrack 3 I find runs the best on my laptop that I have running Linux.

I love the satisfaction you gey after making everything work

Advertisement