Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What O/S do you use to surf the net?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Smartphone Apple
    200motels wrote: »
    Well just because it's common doesn't make it a bad O/S, it's way better than anyone else has to offer and that's why it's common.

Nor does it being common make it a good OS (as you imply in the second half there :)). I think windows is a fine OS since about windows 2000 era. XP SP2 is very decent. Linux, for me, is just streets ahead on the productivity front and really that's all I want from my OS (once you assume basics like stability, security etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Smartphone Apple
    Khannie wrote: »
    Nor does it being common make it a good OS (as you imply in the second half there :)). I think windows is a fine OS since about windows 2000 era. XP SP2 is very decent. Linux, for me, is just streets ahead on the productivity front and really that's all I want from my OS (once you assume basics like stability, security etc.).
    I've never used Linux for any period of time, could you recommend a site where I could get the iso file and I'll give it a go, I could run it in a virtual machine to see what it's like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Smartphone Apple
    I've never used Linux for any period of time, could you recommend a site where I could get the iso file and I'll give it a go, I could run it in a virtual machine to see what it's like.

DistroWatch is excellent, worth trying is Lubuntu and Ubuntu for starters.

Nick

Tablet Android
    Chakra GNU/Linux with swiron as my browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Smartphone Apple

Distrowatch, as pointed out earlier is great. Linux Mint (the Irish'ish distro) is worth a whirl. I stuck it on a laptop for my parents a few years ago and they are happy out with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Smartphone Apple
    U_Fig wrote: »
    I like the rawness of Linux and backtrack 3 I find runs the best on my laptop that I have running Linux.

I love the satisfaction you gey after making everything work

I used Backtrack for years at work and while it is great you need to be careful of using it as your main distro due to the amount of vulnerable software on it.

Tablet Android
    harney wrote: »
    Distrowatch, as pointed out earlier is great. Linux Mint (the Irish'ish distro) is worth a whirl. I stuck it on a laptop for my parents a few years ago and they are happy out with it.

Another Irish distro which is popular is Zorin-OS, I have installed it on both my Aunt and Uncles computers last year and there still using it, it's created for the transition of windows users to linux.

"Zorin OS is a multi-functional operating system designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux. It is based on Ubuntu which is the most popular Linux operating system in the world". (from website).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Or anything else
    harney wrote: »

I used Backtrack for years at work and while it is great you need to be careful of using it as your main distro due to the amount of vulnerable software on it.

Ye I've done done offensive security courses n have a fair knowledge of a lot of the stuff on it.. I've tweaked it a good bit too

I may change soon..prob keep to a slax based distro tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darksharkster

Still using Solaris, from a desktop or sunray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Tablet Android
    NoDrama wrote: »
    Another Irish distro which is popular is Zorin-OS, I have installed it on both my Aunt and Uncles computers last year and there still using it, it's created for the transition of windows users to linux.

"Zorin OS is a multi-functional operating system designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux. It is based on Ubuntu which is the most popular Linux operating system in the world". (from website).

Thanks for that. Gonna give it a try and see what its like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Smartphone Apple
    At home: Windows 8 using Google Chrome 24.
    At work: Linux Mint 14 using Google Chrome 24.
    On the go: Cyanogenmod 9 using Dolphin (Latest version, forgot the number)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Smartphone Apple
    At home: Windows 8 using Google Chrome 24.
    At work: Linux Mint 14 using Google Chrome 24.
    On the go: Cyanogenmod 9 using Dolphin (Latest version, forgot the number)

You're using linux at work and windows at home?? I hope some beautiful day I'll be able to use linux at work...

Smartphone Apple
    PrzemoF wrote: »
    You're using linux at work and windows at home?? I hope some beautiful day I'll be able to use linux at work...

Yeah, I mainly surf the net or type a simple word document and I don't have the best laptop in the world so Linux is perfect for me.

As for home, I play a lot of games so I use Windows all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Smartphone Apple
    Feelgood wrote: »
    Mac is not an OS and you spelled Linux wrong....bloody windows users :p

I like most other people probably did not even notice OS was missing for the Apple Mac OS entry - Mac and Mac OS are synonymous, no need to nitpick.

That said, apologies OP, I did find myself sneering at the spelling of Linux :)
    I was told Mac is not an O/S but what would I know I've being using Windows since 95, it's only a bit of fun and gives a general idea to what people are using to surf the net on the Boards.

Exactly, and besides Mac in this context obviously refers to the operating system. The complaint is similar to someone pointing out if Windows is mentioned instead of Microsoft Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I envy you .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Smartphone Apple
    Me too, Windows 7 with Office does not run to my satisfaction on my single core Celeron work laptop, but I bet Mint would be fine.
    That's it, I'm asking for a Core i5 on my next work review! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Smartphone Apple
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    Me too, Windows 7 with Office does not run to my satisfaction on my single core Celeron work laptop, but I bet Mint would be fine.
    That's it, I'm asking for a Core i5 on my next work review! :p

Tell them you need a new i5 PC because someone stole your megahurtz! :D

943168267d1240932889-very-low-fps-since-yesterday-haxorpctx1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Smartphone Apple
    mach1982 wrote: »
    I envy you .

I'm getting Linux at work next month, will run XP virtually for few apps that require it :)

it's coming everywhere bro..

Me uses Android phone on the move and HDMI stick at home for surfing teh internet

Smartphone Apple
    I envy you .

There is no need!! You can use linux as well!! It's open & free!! :pac:

Can a mod please correct Lynux to Linux it is very annoying .

• Advertisement

There is no need!! You can use linux as well!! It's open & free!! :pac:

I know I use Ubuntu at home all the time , I mean I envy you that get use it at work .

Smartphone Apple

Polls cannot be edited, I think editing polls in vbulletin requires db modification so what's done is done for the most part, sorry if it causes annoyance :D:pac::o

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Mac OS
    Windows 98 Koth?:confused:

really?
    Yes i noticed that,im running Win98 also.. (Win98se)

A wonderful/beautiful OS icon7.gif

Smartphone Apple
    I know I use Ubuntu at home all the time , I mean I envy you that get use it at work .
    I can't (except virtualbox running fedora) - it's VampiricPadraig

Smartphone Apple
    I can't edit to correct my spelling mistake,don't look at it then, I can't believe this post a spelling mistake annoying, next you'll be telling us that the air we breath is not to your liking. People have so little to worry about.

Smartphone Apple
    I can't edit to correct my spelling mistake,don't look at it then, I can't believe this post a spelling mistake annoying, next you'll be telling us that the air we breath is not to your liking. People have so little to worry about.

And lets leave the spelling discussion at that. The "official" word is, it can't be easily changed. :)

Smartphone Apple
    For what I do. I could do it on my phone. I mainly use the web and a notepad. I don't need anything fancy to get my work done, so yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Mac OS
    Who cares about the OS anyway? Since one is surfing the web with a browser and all the main contenders are available for pretty much any OS, what difference does it make?

Smartphone Apple
    Torqay wrote: »
    Who cares about the OS anyway? Since one is surfing the web with a browser and all the main contenders are available for pretty much any OS, what difference does it make?
    You might have a point there, but I know it's the browser that you surf the net with but you still need an operating system to use your browser, but it's still a fair point. It's interesting none the less what people are using, maybe I should have put a browser option in, I use Mozilla Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Windows Vista
    Windows 7, it does the trick.

Advertisement