Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty electronic item, am I entitled to a refund?

Options
  • 06-01-2013 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I bought a Macbook Pro a few months ago and it's already falling apart on me. It has 3 dead pixels on the screen, the space bar keeps getting stuck, it overheats like nothing else, sometimes too hot to touch and now the latest thing is the charger will randomly decide to stop working for a while.

I know if I bring it into the shop they will try to send it off to be fixed, but at this stage I don't want it fixed. I'm not happy with the quality of the item I purchased. Spending €2,500 on a laptop you don't expect it to break down so quickly. If it was only the one issue I would be satisfied in beliving that it might be just an anomaly and I'd let them fix it but so many things going wrong has got to say something about the device model itself.

Anybody know if I am entitled to ask for a refund on this? It was purchased in August 2012 just incase time since purchase plays a big factor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

That's a shame. Hopefully they will issue a refund out of good will, I don't have my hopes up tho.

I paid the extra for quality and didn't receive it so that surely breeches the contract, I would likely have to take it to the small claims court to get a refund if that is the case tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Forget about the refund and pursuing it - you won't get it! Apple will replace in-warranty faulty units with new or as new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You paid extra for a brand name; not for quality (there is no unique Apple manufacturer or parts used with extra quality control).

Nody wrote: »
    You paid extra for a brand name; not for quality (there is no unique Apple manufacturer or parts used with extra quality control).

I develop for iOS. I need to use a Mac. I could have purchased the minimum spec device which would have cost over a grand less, instead I opted to go for the retina one which was sited to have the most amazing screen ever made only to find it had dead pixels, a faulty keyboard and now the charger or the charger connection are dying.

The macbook I had prior to this worked flawlessly. It got a bit slow after a few years tho so that's to be expected and why I had to upgrade.

I didn't buy it because I'm naive enough to think that just because it has an Apple on the box makes it better than any other manufacturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Apple are not going to replace your unit if its the first time you've needed a repair. The machine was bought nearly 6 months ago so you'll need to send it for repair. The repairs are done very rapidly and you will have your machine back in no time.

If you are still unhappy after that then you should see if the machine can be replaced. You can also put a case forward for a refund if the repair is not to full satisfaction but they might insist on a 2nd repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

swingking wrote: »
    Apple are not going to replace your unit if its the first time you've needed a repair. The machine was bought nearly 6 months ago so you'll need to send it for repair. The repairs are done very rapidly and you will have your machine back in no time.

If you are still unhappy after that then you should see if the machine can be replaced. You can also put a case forward for a refund if the repair is not to full satisfaction but they might insist on a 2nd repair.

If it's a repair then under the law it must be permanent. If it's not permanent and the device is still faulty they (Apple/Retailer) can choose a replacement or refund. If they deny these options and insist on a repair then you can go to the small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If they only offer a repair, and you reject it and go to the Small Claims Court, it could be argued that you weren't being reasonable, weakening your case considerably.

If they repair and then it still has the faults (repairs have to be permanent, of course), then you're in a very strong position to demand a refund or go to the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Who did you buy it from, the retailer is you only hope of a refund.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Who did you buy it from, the retailer is you only hope of a refund.

A reseller in Dublin. I don't have much hope for a refund, I'll ask anyway but from the sounds of it I'm unlikely to get it. My biggest fear tho is being without a laptop for several weeks. At least if I got a refund I could buy a different model, but if I have to send it off I won't be able to work till I get it back.

Anyway cheers for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Spending €2,500 on a laptop you don't expect it to break down so quickly.
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    If they deny these options and insist on a repair then you can go to the small claims court.

Small claims can't help for €2,500 I'm afraid...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

A reseller in Dublin. I don't have much hope for a refund, I'll ask anyway but from the sounds of it I'm unlikely to get it. My biggest fear tho is being without a laptop for several weeks. At least if I got a refund I could buy a different model, but if I have to send it off I won't be able to work till I get it back.

Anyway cheers for all the advice.

Just do what others have said and go through Apples repair service. You will have it back within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Contact consumer affairs. I was told by them when a tv i bought went wrong tnat i should have taken it back to who i got it from and said it was not of merchantable quality. Ask them for advice, not boadsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Firstly my rant. Macs are as good a quality as a PC at a third of the price. They are appalling value for money - the OS is the only thing going for them and that isn't even that great when compared to the alternatives. Why people buy them is beyond me - anyway my hated for all things apple (apart from the iphone - they are actually competitive in the smart phone arena) you didn't come here for a mac rant.

SI 11 of 2003 states that the product must be repaired without significant inconvenience to the consumer. I've no data on what reasonable is so I have to guess given two days there two days back and two days to look at the thing rounded up to ten working days. Beyond that I'd reject the good and look for a replacement/refund and take it to SmCC if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Forgot that, but that's such a ridiculous low level that it should be increased (for another thread though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

OP as has been said SCC can't help you because the purchase was for more than €2000 and even if you had the choice the use them they would not entertain you as you have not given the shop a chance to use one of the 3 R's which are usually done in this order - Repair, Replace and Refund.

Seems to me you are just having a little bit of buyers remorse with your purchase but that cannot be helped now.

You didn't pay more for quality, you paid more for the brand.

Firstly my rant. Macs are as good a quality as a PC at a third of the price. They are appalling value for money - the OS is the only thing going for them and that isn't even that great when compared to the alternatives. Why people buy them is beyond me - anyway my hated for all things apple (apart from the iphone - they are actually competitive in the smart phone arena) you didn't come here for a mac rant.
    Limericks wrote: »
    Seems to me you are just having a little bit of buyers remorse with your purchase but that cannot be helped now.

You didn't pay more for quality, you paid more for the brand.

FFS, this I hate Mac attitude is incredibly tedious. I already stated in this thread why I bought a Mac. I can only work from a Mac. XCode and the iOS SDK do not work on any other operating system. My opinions on the brand are completely irrelevant.

I am having buyers remorse because the item I purchased isn't what it was advertised to be.

I have gotten the advice I need from this thread. If a mod could kindly close it I would be grateful. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

FFS, this I hate Mac attitude is incredibly tedious.

Most of us just hate seeing people ripped off. Apple must be the only company in the world that get people not only thanking them but defending them when they do! I do have to admit this is another one for my rant. They're so expensive you have to go to the district court when things go wrong. That's a classic.

Also OP - you might want to show a bit of gratitude when people help you out rather than quoting half a post and throwing your (presumably very expensive) toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Also OP - you might want to show a bit of gratitude when people help you out rather than quoting half a post and throwing your (presumably very expensive) toys out of the pram.

Please leave the moderating to the mods.

Thread closed following OP's request

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement