Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

notice period - Help please

• 06-01-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

Hi All,

too cut a long story short work past 12 months has me demented workload increased 3 fold getting nothing done only recently they have addressed issue by taking stuff off me however i have made quite a few errors and am trying to fix them up.

I have spent the whole day upset at the taught of going in tomorrow, i was out 2 days sick in august and also a further 2days in october due to stress etc. in 16yrs of work was never out sick until this job

my contract expired last november, normally they have been extending two months per contract for the last 2yrs. however got no notification from them re my contact having been extended presume it is until end of jan

would it be unreasonable of me to go in tomorrow and give two weeks notice finish friday week, My health is suffering now and am very concerned as this past twelve months i do nothing but think of work my quality of life ie mental health has deteriorated and i can find myself constantly worrying about work, i worried about work all throughout xmas.

I know i should be grateful for having a job but my whole life has been taken over by this job, i perhaps should have spoke up sooner however due to being on contract i did not want to talk myself out of job by constantly moaning so i took all the work that was thrown at me

am sitting here now and my head is pounding worried about tomorrow am very sad over the situation i have found myself in.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Need to check your contract if it has any notice but if not why not hand it in and see what HR says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP if you are working on fixed term contract until the end of January, you do not need to give notice, you can just inform them that you will not be renewing your contract when this one ends. However, I would give notice if I were you, it is courtesy and you may wish to get a reference from your employer, also future employers may contact them regarding your reference and it is always beneficial to leave on good terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

if your contract expired without any notice and you have continued to work, then you have become defacto permanent. In that case I would give at least one month's notice. If work is really getting to you and you don't think you can face another month, perhaps see if you can use any untaken leave against your notice period. You could always go out sick (if you are genuinely sick) but bear in mind that this will do you no favours later when you look for a reference.

OP, rather than leave, is there any way you can perhaps ask for assistance? They have now spread out the workload, so they are aware there was a need for that to be done. Is there a sympathetic manager you can talk to? If so, have a chat with them. Explain your worries and fears. Explain how you feel. You never know, this might be able to be resolved without you having to leave, or at the very least, you might be able to arrange a fair exit strategy that means the company won't be landed in it when you leave (and you are more likely to get a decent reference) and which also means you can finish your leave period without the kind of stress you are experiencing.

(on an aside, this, to me is a perfect example of why BTWI are useful - had a decent BTWI been carried out when OP had two episodes of illness, then they might not be at the stage of feeling so stressed that it makes them sick to think about going to work.)

Best of luck OP - not a nice situation to be in when you dread work that much. You need to put your health first, so if you do feel that leaving is the only option, make sure you do what is right for you.

Advertisement