Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working in NZ

• 06-01-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi guys, bit of a newbie here. can anyone give me a heads up on new zealand.
    few of us thinking of goin out, all fully qualified joiners. not sure if a whv is the best option.
    have heard there is a lot of work in Chrischurch, can anyone confirm this?
    any info at all would be really appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

There is indeed a lot of work in Christchurch, that is definite.

Check out Trademe.co.nz for jobs, or seek.co.nz as these are both the major job sites used here (TradeMe also functions as eBay alternative)

A Working Holiday visa would be a good bet, you just cant get 'permanent' work on that visa but should be able to get temporary work just fine.

With the lack of laborers in Christchurch I think they may be extending the 'Essential Skills' categories for the Residence Visa also so you could try that line also if interested in a more long term stay here.

Any other questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shamrock02

Hi thanks for the reply!
    Would you reccomend NZ personally? Have been to australia but its hard getting back in, so thinking of nz. What would the cost of living etc be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Personally, in my opinion, NZ is much better to Ireland - just a pity its on the other damn side of the world :)

Cost of living is manageable, I enjoy a relatively good lifestyle for the wage we're on (as a couple) although Auckland is fairly expensive and the usual (food, clothing) is quite expensive oddly enough.

Give it a go man, when the sun shines and you have world-class beaches all around you, you'll be surprised how much better it can make everything seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

from what I have seen, anybody with any sort of trade qualification will pick up work in CHCH - I think, though myy info is 6 months old, that electricians & plumbers are the most sought after right now.

A lad I know who was a qualified carpenter arrived in CHCH with about 6 weeks left on his WHV, he applied for a job and told them the situation. They told him not to worry, they would sponsor him from the off.

I think tradespeople get rushed through the immigration process down there - what took me 6 weeks to get done he had done in 4-5 days and the company sponsoruing him paid for it :mad:

I cannot recommend NZ enough, loved it, so much to do.

Give it a bash, you can't go wrong. But just be forewarned, the weather there is not like Oz, that catches a lot of people out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Weather as in what way is it cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Wellington can be during winter, yep - and windy like you wouldn't believe. and wet.

But on a nice day, you really wouldn't want to be anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

has anyone any experience in NZ with a company called Potholepeople? Are they a good comapny to work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

Hey there, if anyone has any info on PHP contractors NZ, as in ..what they are like to work for, wages, conditions etc, could they please let me know? A friend of mine received a verbal offer, but they are very slow to come back wit a written one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Hootanany wrote: »
    Weather as in what way is it cold.

In Chch anyway, it'll generally get a damn site hotter and a damned site colder than it does back home. People get quite upset if they've to endure 4 rainy days in the same week during summer, most grass will scorch dry, you'll see numbers like 22 or 30 degrees celcius, which technically it is, but it's quite incomparable to anywhere around Europe I've ever been... hole in the ozone is just ahead, the intensity is just something else.

Winter scared me my first year, I was starting work real early in the morning, it'd be cold, frosty, southerlies blowing straight from the antarctic... could believe it when it'd hang around the late teens to early 20s by mid day and I was getting sunburnt. Have had 3 snowfalls in the 5 winters I've been here.

Advertisement