Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

rambo9 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice from frequent cruise goers. I'm on the Harmony and they have some great deals on Citizen watches and I have my eye on one of them. They are currently offering 35% off and I am just wondering if I wait, will the discount increase later on in the cruise? I have been told to wait until the final day to buy anything as they offer better deals but I'm not sure if this will apply to watches. Any help is kindly welcomed. Thanks.

Sometimes they do watch sales on certain evenings or on certain brands, you might get a better deal if you hold off until that happens. I picked up a lovely citizen blue angels radio controlled watch on the Oasis 2 years ago and I'm still happy out with it. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rambo9

Yeah, they are doing the 35% off on the Citizen watches today. So that won't run all week, only for today you reckon? I should buy now or I will miss out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Seeing as you have internet, double check the price that you'd get it elsewhere (or post the model here and we can google for you if that's less painful).

Generally the 35% off on named brands is one day only, though _sometimes_ they might run it a second day. If they haven't already done it they'll also have a stall of $10 watches at some stage as well, but they're just tat. I've never seen great prices on their watches/jewelry I must say, though alcohol and cigarettes can have good savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Thoie wrote: »
    I've never seen great prices on their watches...

Me neither, they have the $10 tat, then they have "Invicta" which is slightly better tat.

Anything decent will usually be available on Amazon sooner or later for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Me neither, they have the $10 tat, then they have "Invicta" which is slightly better tat.

Anything decent will usually be available on Amazon sooner or later for less.

But no sales tax surely (in international waters) so possibly cheaper than Amazon?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    But no sales tax surely (in international waters) so possibly cheaper than Amazon?

Yes, but sometimes the base price is higher to start with. Like, I can sell you this watch in Ireland for €100 including 23% VAT. There's nothing to stop me offering you the same watch in international waters for €99 duty free! Or €101 duty free! That's why knowing the "land" price of things is good.

I don't know whether makeup is dearer in the US than in Ireland, but I've found that there are certain brands I can buy cheaper in Ireland, inclusive of VAT, than on the ship, duty free, so it makes no sense for me to buy it on a cruise and have to pack it up to bring home, unless I desperately want it to use while on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

https://www.royalcaribbean.ie/cruise-deals/terms-and-conditions/#february-2017-wow–up-to-$300-onboard-spend
    Buy one, second 1/2 price and free drinks promotion on royal Caribbean cruises. Myself and Fiancee (30/35) are thinking of a cruise in September this year. Any recommendations? Probably stay in Europe to keep costs manageable.
    Is it a genuine 'offer' or overall just hype? I did one Royal cruise in 2009 and felt very young on it but 8 years older now and newer sis look great and far more activities onboard.

Jesper wrote: »
    https://www.royalcaribbean.ie/cruise-deals/terms-and-conditions/#february-2017-wow–up-to-$300-onboard-spend
    Buy one, second 1/2 price and free drinks promotion on royal Caribbean cruises. Myself and Fiancee (30/35) are thinking of a cruise in September this year. Any recommendations? Probably stay in Europe to keep costs manageable.
    Is it a genuine 'offer' or overall just hype? I did one Royal cruise in 2009 and felt very young on it but 8 years older now and newer sis look great and far more activities onboard.

Hard to tell with some of their offers unless you've been tracking the price of a particular cruise. Cruisefish tracks historical prices I think, but not sure if it's still working. $100 OBC is better than nothing, but it doesn't go far - automatic gratuities for 2 people would come to $189 for a week. The drinks package offer is usually pretty good (that's around $60-70 per person per day, no sharing), but depends on both of you being drinkers to see if it's worthwhile.

Personally I prefer the Eastern Mediterranean routes, but that's because I'm less familiar with that side of the sea - I'm already fairly familiar with a lot of places on the western side. Barcelona is usually much handier to get to - the airport and port are relatively close. Rome (Civitavecchia) is a bit of a PITA - the port is about a 90 minute drive from the airport. Apparently there are trains and things you can take, but I haven't done it. Not sure what Venice airports to port is like. Last time I looked at going out of Venice there were no direct flights, but it seems that Ryanair and Aer Lingus both have flights to the Venice area these days - they look pricier than the Barcelona flights though.

The Rhapsody sailing on September 16th looks generally like a good price on Seascanner (€715 pps cheapest inside cabin at the moment), so you could see how that compares with the Royal Caribbean price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Getting from Venice airport to the ship is very straightforward, we went with MSC and they had coaches to take you from the airport direct to the ship and cost €16 each way. We hadn't booked it but got it as it was pissing out of the heavens.

If you don't want to get the cruise line's coach you can get the airport bus to the bus terminal, walk a very short distance to the people mover, think it costs €1.50 each then you can walk a short distance to the port's free shuttle bus that takes you to the ship.

Jesper wrote: »

Hard to tell with some of their offers unless you've been tracking the price of a particular cruise.  Cruisefish tracks historical prices I think, but not sure if it's still working.  $100 OBC is better than nothing, but it doesn't go far - automatic gratuities for 2 people would come to $189 for a week.  The drinks package offer is usually pretty good (that's around $60-70 per person per day, no sharing), but depends on both of you being drinkers to see if it's worthwhile.

Personally I prefer the Eastern Mediterranean routes, but that's because I'm less familiar with that side of the sea - I'm already fairly familiar with a lot of places on the western side.  Barcelona is usually much handier to get to - the airport and port are relatively close.  Rome (Civitavecchia) is a bit of a PITA  - the port is about a 90 minute drive from the airport.  Apparently there are trains and things you can take, but I haven't done it.  Not sure what Venice airports to port is like.  Last time I looked at going out of Venice there were no direct flights, but it seems that Ryanair and Aer Lingus both have flights to the Venice area these days - they look pricier than the Barcelona flights though.

The Rhapsody sailing on September 16th looks generally like a good price on Seascanner (€715 pps cheapest inside cabin at the moment), so you could see how that compares with the Royal Caribbean price.
    Hi Thoei,
    Part of the plan is to look at convenience and prick the right ship so we are now looking at West Med. The 'Freedom of the Seas' seems like a big active ship tha might suit us. Seems a bit more expensive than East Med but getting to Barcarola should be easy and quiet cheap. 
    Very surprised by the date/price changes and the difference between window/balchony form one week to another. One week it's +140 for window and the next it's +600? 
    Is Cruise Fish the best site to monitor this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Imp Lannister

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice here. My wife has spent the last few weeks trying to organise a cruise for her parents this summer. After lots of research, her parents decided they wanted a specific cruise with MSC in the Baltic. Although the price was slightly higher, her parents wanted to book with a local travel agent. Finer details were sorted out over the phone, deposit taken etc. However, this morning the itinerary arrived in the post. This was the first written or electronic correspondence. Completely wrong cruise, not visiting the ports that were chosen. Obviously my wife called them and pointed out the error, but the travel agent is insisting that was the cruise chosen, which it most certainly wasn't. They are now insisting that she can either lose her parents' deposit and go elsewhere, or pay an extra 1100 to go on the desired cruise. Very rude over the phone and customer service whatsoever.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was wondering if someone who is more versed in booking and going on cruises could help me out by providing tips of what I should be researching.

I am finding it very hard to find good resources on what are good cruises, good cruises companies and what to avoid. I am also struggling to figure out what's included in the prices I am getting and whether you must tip on all cruises or if that's just on some cruises.

I am looking for a relaxing cruise with the standard of food and service and the ship itself being the most important bit with some interesting docked excursions

I am hoping to treat my mother to the cruise and would like it to be all inclusive so she doesn't have to spend any money on the ship at all.

I would like it to somewhat cater for us too, late twenties, early thirties.

I would like to avoid going into a travel agent if possible as I like to book things myself but maybe since I'm struggling to find information this is the type of holiday you need to go to a travel agent for?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

Have a look at cruisecritic.com - lots and lots of info there. I've found Trailfinders good in the past for booking - very knowledgable and reasonably priced. From a cruise line point of view, found Celebrity really good, princess really good, azamara really good (but older crowd) and Norwegian pretty good. Gratuities always Pre paid in my experience (not included in price), except there's a gratuity applied to every drink purchase on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Best critic is those you know who previously cruised, especially those that continually cruise, they'll have the loyalty account setup, like frequent flyer miles avios etc. More benefits the more you cruise.
    First look at the itinerary, where you want to go, when you want to go.
    Then look at what extras you would like, drinks packages, tours, dining experiences, entertainments etc.
    THEN type of room, balcony or inboard and / or type / size of ship.
    Most tour ops arrange flights transfers overnights in hotel prior / post cruise etc. So if you're building your own cruise arranging transport etc factor that into your budget, as many forget, and you'll see the packages still work out slightly cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Were any documents signed when payment was made and if so what was on those documents? Did they visit the travel agent at all? How much of a deposit has been paid?

Did she pay by cash or card, might be possible to do a chargeback if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Imp Lannister

no documents signed whatsoever and all conducted over the phone. The first documents that were seen arrived yesterday in the post. My wife asked for the details to be sent via email so she could review them and the said they would only send them by post. Nearly €1,000 paid as a deposit.

Going to try going into the travel agent to see if they are any better face to face. If not, reverse charge might be very worth looking into.

Declan1 wrote: »
    Gratuities always Pre paid in my experience (not included in price), except there's a gratuity applied to every drink purchase on board.

Can you clarify what you mean by not included in price? Do you mean the gratuities will be paid in advance of going on the ship but wont be included in the package price? So I will get a price from the operator for the holiday, pay that and then before getting on the ship will have to pay a lump sum for gratuities?

Do you know if a full board package includes buying alcohol on board? If it does you still have to have some cash to tip?
    hytrogen wrote: »
    Best critic is those you know who previously cruised, especially those that continually cruise, they'll have the loyalty account setup, like frequent flyer miles avios etc. More benefits the more you cruise.

Unfortunately I don't have these kinds of contacts so looking to garner as much information as possible, I don't mind going through an operator but I would like to know as much as possible so that the operator or travel agent isn't leading me into something they want to sell me rather than what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

ask for a copy of the telephone recording

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Before you go in to the travel agent have in your mind exactly what you will settle for and nothing less, either you want a full refund or want the cruise at the pre agreed price and don't settle for anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I recently booked my first cruise. I got a book from the travel agents, read through it, decided exactly what I wanted, i.e. the dates, itinerary, drinks packages etc. I then went back into the travel agent with my list and she sorted it all out there and then for me. I was happy with the price, paid my deposit and will pay off the price each month for the next few months.

I had tried organising it myself but this was much handier. And not any dearer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

The gratuities aren't included in the quoted price. We've always paid them in a lump at the same time as the booking.

Onboard transactions are all electronic so need to have cash - the gratuity gets added to your onboard account and settled before disembarking.

Drinks are not generally included in the fare (some exceptions). You can buy all inclusive drinks packages but they've never made sense for us - you'd want to be drinking all day to get value out of them.

Trailfinders have a cruise brochure I think - would be worth a look.

Declan1 wrote: »
    The gratuities aren't included in the quoted price. We've always paid them in a lump at the same time as the booking.

Onboard transactions are all electronic so need to have cash - the gratuity gets added to your onboard account and settled before disembarking.

Drinks are not generally included in the fare (some exceptions). You can buy all inclusive drinks packages but they've never made sense for us - you'd want to be drinking all day to get value out of them.

Trailfinders have a cruise brochure I think - would be worth a look.

Thanks, did you mean to say no need to have cash? And by electronic do you mean credit/debit or you get a card when you board that bills everything to your room?

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice here. My wife has spent the last few weeks trying to organise a cruise for her parents this summer. After lots of research, her parents decided they wanted a specific cruise with MSC in the Baltic. Although the price was slightly higher, her parents wanted to book with a local travel agent. Finer details were sorted out over the phone, deposit taken etc. However, this morning the itinerary arrived in the post. This was the first written or electronic correspondence. Completely wrong cruise, not visiting the ports that were chosen. Obviously my wife called them and pointed out the error, but the travel agent is insisting that was the cruise chosen, which it most certainly wasn't. They are now insisting that she can either lose her parents' deposit and go elsewhere, or pay an extra 1100 to go on the desired cruise. Very rude over the phone and customer service whatsoever.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome!
    Horrible situation. How far away is the cruise? If it's more than 60 days away, I'd call MSC directly, tell them the story, say you want the travel agent taken off the booking and have it transferred directly to your control. Then ask if the deposit can be transferred to another booking. You may still have to pay the additional amount if the desired cruise is more expensive than the booked one, but you shouldn't lose the deposit if you're a good bit away from the travel date.

I was wondering if someone who is more versed in booking and going on cruises could help me out by providing tips of what I should be researching.

I am finding it very hard to find good resources on what are good cruises, good cruises companies and what to avoid. I am also struggling to figure out what's included in the prices I am getting and whether you must tip on all cruises or if that's just on some cruises.

I am looking for a relaxing cruise with the standard of food and service and the ship itself being the most important bit with some interesting docked excursions

I am hoping to treat my mother to the cruise and would like it to be all inclusive so she doesn't have to spend any money on the ship at all.

I would like it to somewhat cater for us too, late twenties, early thirties.

I would like to avoid going into a travel agent if possible as I like to book things myself but maybe since I'm struggling to find information this is the type of holiday you need to go to a travel agent for?

As others have said, CruiseCritic is good for getting an idea of different cruise lines, but there's a lot of information out there. Different cruise lines have slightly different images. Royal Caribbean and MSC (the only two I've sailed on) are very middle of the road - family friendly, but adult friendly too (kids clubs are out of the way). Celebrity sounds a little more upmarket - I'd like to try them, budget allowing some time! Carnival sound very party boat, which doesn't suit me. Holland America Line and Silver Sea both sound as if they're aimed at older, and wealthier passengers. For something that would suit both you and your mother, I suspect Royal Caribbean or MSC may fit the bill, but that isn't to say that others wouldn't.

Again, personal preference, but P&O and Fred Olsen don't appeal to me personally - I get the impression they're a bit "hi-de-ho campers", but stand to be corrected.

The majority of the middle of the road lines include food (buffet or main dining room with table service). Most have additional cost "specialty restaurants", like a steak house, Italian, Japanese. There's no need to spend on those unless you want to. Few include alcohol, though most offer varying types of drink packages. You'll always be able to get water, tea and coffee free of charge, but will pay extra for soft drinks, alcohol or things like lattes.

Seascanner.com is a good site to get a wide overview of cruise lines, itineraries, prices and what's included. Each trip has a "not included" box under the prices, e.g.
    Not included are the expenses for beverages, shore excursions and personal spending. On this voyage, a service charge of around 12.50 US-$ per passenger per day is automatically charged to your onboard account.

Most cruise lines (but not some of the more expensive ones) charge a daily service charge of between $12-$15 per person, so you need to keep that in mind - for three of you for a week it's about $250-$315 on top of the listed price.

Shore excursions vary wildly as well - you can pay around $45 for a simple bus trip with tour guide and stops at interesting places, to $120 for a more activity based trip, to $200 for something like swimming with dolphins. Cruise critic can be helpful in researching ports of call. There are some places where it might be recommended to stick with the ship arranged excursions, but plenty of places where you can go it alone, or arrange a tour privately (generally for cheaper).

You can pay the service charge and excursions in advance so that there's no real spending needed on board. You can also book and prepay things like hairdresser/spa too. All entertainment on the ship is free, though for certain things with limited space you may still need to get a (free) ticket.

I wouldn't worry about the standard of food, or service. Cruise critic would have you believe that everyone's eating slops all the time, but all the lines have perfectly nice food available practically 24/7. You will not go hungry. If you don't like something you've picked, just pick something else. If you can't decide between two main courses, just order both.

A good travel agent can give you better advice on talking to you as to which cruise line might suit you, but they're not 100% necessary.

First decision is where you want to cruise - Caribbean, Mediterranean, some where else? Think about weather at the time of year you want to travel, the cost of flights, etc. Caribbean cruises generally look a lot cheaper than Med ones, but not when I add in flight costs.

Again, seascanner is useful to start filtering things down and getting an idea of what's available and where the stops are.

Thanks, did you mean to say no need to have cash? And by electronic do you mean credit/debit or you get a card when you board that bills everything to your room?

She meant "no need". Your room card is swiped on board any time you want to pay for something. You register a credit or debit card with them in advance. On the last night they'll give you a bill showing everything you've spent. If there's no problem, they'll just take that amount from your registered card on the day of disembarkation.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

Doing Norwegian epic cruise from Barcelona in June and booking the flights myself. I just wondered if anyone had experience of flying back after this cruise. The ship docks at 5am. Ryanair has a flight leaving at 10.20 am which I feel would be too much of a dash.( Travelling with my mother who is in wheelchair). Thinking of Vueling air at 12.40. Has anyone experience of doing this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can't speak for Barcelona specifically but the routine on the last night of a cruise is that you leave your main bag outside your cabin with a tag you'll be provided with, it's taken away in the early hours and when the ship docks, all the bags are put into a nearby shed on the dock where you pick it up after disembarking. You'll be given a zone number or colour to help you find your bag. Getting off the boat, finding your bag and then walking to a taxi rank or bus stop could take an hour so I'd definitely go for that later flight.

Barcelona port and airport are quite close. In 2015 I got a 10:50 flight from Barcelona following a cruise, no hassle, had plenty of time to loiter outside having a coffee before I headed in to drop my bags. I helped a gentleman who needed wheelchair assistance at the same time. Someone had forgotten to book the wheelchair assistance, and even with that he made the flight in plenty of time - I got him as far as the collection point, had a coffee, hung around, and met up with him at the gate area and still had enough time to get us both more coffees.

Looking back through my bookings, I've got that Aer Lingus 10:50 flight from Barcelona a few times after cruises, and was never rushed. I know yours is 30 minutes earlier, but I'd be comfortable enough with it. Let guest services know you want to be off fairly early. Barcelona is well prepared for baggage collection - there are belts like in an airport, so you don't have to wander up and down a warehouse. Taxis right outside the door. With no traffic it's about 15 minutes to the airport - allow half an hour if it's a weekday. If you got a 7:30 slot for disembarkation, you'd be in a taxi for 8 and have buckets of time to saunter (or wheel) through the airport.

I've cruised twice before (and I'm only 35 now-shocking)!
    I am looking into a cruise this year for myself and Fiancee. Thinking of the Royal Caribbean leaving Barcelona on the freedom of the sees ship on the 24th Sep. It looks like this will cost between 900-1000Euro for an inside room. But up until the 6th of March they are giving a free drinks package worth $65 a day. On board prices tend to be in $dollar. When you get a drinks package you MUST get it for every day of cruise. Also when you get off the ship your not meant to bring hooch back on.
    There is NO cash on board as far as I know (you can though for example add cash to pay for the casino o etc.) But everything can be put to your room card like in a hotel and fix up at the end.
    The tips for the two of us "pre paid" for the above cruise is looking like €170/$190. You don't ever tip cash (I think) until the last day if you want and you specify which team this is for - dining/room/etc.
    Most of these ships are registered to countermeasures with poor owner laws so standard wages are low and tips are where the salary gets subsidised I believe.
    If I can be any more help let me know.

• Advertisement

Barcelona port and airport are quite close. In 2015 I got a 10:50 flight from Barcelona following a cruise, no hassle, had plenty of time to loiter outside having a coffee before I headed in to drop my bags. I helped a gentleman who needed wheelchair assistance at the same time. Someone had forgotten to book the wheelchair assistance, and even with that he made the flight in plenty of time - I got him as far as the collection point, had a coffee, hung around, and met up with him at the gate area and still had enough time to get us both more coffees.

Looking back through my bookings, I've got that Aer Lingus 10:50 flight from Barcelona a few times after cruises, and was never rushed. I know yours is 30 minutes earlier, but I'd be comfortable enough with it. Let guest services know you want to be off fairly early. Barcelona is well prepared for baggage collection - there are belts like in an airport, so you don't have to wander up and down a warehouse. Taxis right outside the door. With no traffic it's about 15 minutes to the airport - allow half an hour if it's a weekday. If you got a 7:30 slot for disembarkation, you'd be in a taxi for 8 and have buckets of time to saunter (or wheel) through the airport.

Hi Those,
    Which cruise have you taken from Barcelona and would you recommend it? IM if prefer.
    Thanks

Advertisement