Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi folks,

Short story, 10 year anniversary with wifey next year, would love to take her on a cruise that will blow her socks off.

Our honeymoon wasn’t really luxurious so it would be good to make up for that.

Where can I start with research on a cruise like this? We will be in our mid thirties so I guess a mix of lively and relaxing, good food, drinks, spa, would be good.

One possible restriction is length of stay. We have 3 small kids so the max we could get babysitting would be a week or so. Would a European cruise be better because if this?

Any recommendations on where to start appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

Simples... the bank manager...;)

NSAman wrote: »
    Simples... the bank manager...;)

:)

Idea of budget would be similar to a decent all inclusive honeymoon abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Have a look at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/ contrary to the poster above the trip fares are reasonable. I went on Western Caribbean package for a 7 night cruise. Quite simply, one of the best holidays I've ever been on. Flights were 500 return to Miami, I stayed two nights before the cruise. Took an Uber from Miami to the Fort Lauderdale port and was blown away at the size of the ship, it was Allure of the Seas which is one of the largest cruise ships in the world. 17 stories, tons of restaurants which are mostly included in the fare, some are extra cost I found those unnecessary. Everything they do is full on service oriented. Broad tips, don't worry about sea views or balconies, get an inside stateroom. You'll only be in it for sleeping. Prepay gratuities, it's marked on your room card so staff will know and won't bother giving you the hard sell for extra tips. If you like a drink, then consider one of the packages. I went all in with the drinks package which seemed expensive at purchase but got me all the fizzy drinks, speciality coffees, beers, wines and whiskey I could drink. They also do a ten drink pre-paid card. WiFi is a paid service and it's reasonably good for basic stuff so if you'll need to be in contact with the kids then be sure to get that. Cellular roaming on a ship is massively expensive, turn it off. Use facetime, whatsapp, skype, viber or whatever other call apps you've got.

Destinations are incredible and there's tours if you want them when you get to port. These are optional and some are better than others. I had a private island tour, snorkelling at a starfish sanctuary, and a trip to Montego Bay beach in Jamaica. Tours add to the cost of the trip too.

All in, my flights, hotel, and cruise package was less than 1800. This is a lot but it's a holiday I'll never forget. Feel welcome to PM. I booked myself, didn't use a travel agent and saved that way too. It doesn't have to break the bank, but it really something akin to a honeymoon. They've got formal nights where most people participate by wearing black-tie and formal dresses to dinner and it's just incredible. I'm remembering it all now, thanks for that :) and wishing you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I repeatedly sound like some kind of ad for seascanner.com but it's very handy. You can filter cruises by dates, areas, cost, all sorts of things, and it gives you a good idea what's out there. Sometimes it can be cheaper booking through that site, sometimes directly through the cruiseline itself, but I always use it as a starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Whats your budget ?

A balcony on royal caribbean is luxury for some people , some people think anything less than an owners suite on regent seven seas is slumming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

Tazium wrote: »
    Have a look at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/ contrary to the poster above the trip fares are reasonable. I went on Western Caribbean package for a 7 night cruise. Quite simply, one of the best holidays I've ever been on. Flights were 500 return to Miami, I stayed two nights before the cruise. Took an Uber from Miami to the Fort Lauderdale port and was blown away at the size of the ship, it was Allure of the Seas which is one of the largest cruise ships in the world. 17 stories, tons of restaurants which are mostly included in the fare, some are extra cost I found those unnecessary. Everything they do is full on service oriented. Broad tips, don't worry about sea views or balconies, get an inside stateroom. You'll only be in it for sleeping. Prepay gratuities, it's marked on your room card so staff will know and won't bother giving you the hard sell for extra tips. If you like a drink, then consider one of the packages. I went all in with the drinks package which seemed expensive at purchase but got me all the fizzy drinks, speciality coffees, beers, wines and whiskey I could drink. They also do a ten drink pre-paid card. WiFi is a paid service and it's reasonably good for basic stuff so if you'll need to be in contact with the kids then be sure to get that. Cellular roaming on a ship is massively expensive, turn it off. Use facetime, whatsapp, skype, viber or whatever other call apps you've got.

Destinations are incredible and there's tours if you want them when you get to port. These are optional and some are better than others. I had a private island tour, snorkelling at a starfish sanctuary, and a trip to Montego Bay beach in Jamaica. Tours add to the cost of the trip too.

All in, my flights, hotel, and cruise package was less than 1800. This is a lot but it's a holiday I'll never forget. Feel welcome to PM. I booked myself, didn't use a travel agent and saved that way too. It doesn't have to break the bank, but it really something akin to a honeymoon. They've got formal nights where most people participate by wearing black-tie and formal dresses to dinner and it's just incredible. I'm remembering it all now, thanks for that :) and wishing you the best of luck.

I'd second this. We took a Western Caribbean cruise (Mexico, Caymen Islands stops) with Royal Caribbean over Christmas last year but the departure point was New Orleans so we spend 3 nights there before the cruise and 2 on the way back. It was one of the best holidays I ever had. I booked the cruise through seascanner.com and flights/hotels in NO separately.

And great tip about the drinks package - if you like a drink, don't even think twice - get it! You'll save a fortune!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Regarding the drinks, do your sums in advance. If you like a glass of wine here and there and one or two drinks in the evening, it will probably work out cheaper to pay as you go.

Tazium wrote: »

Excellent post, thanks for that. I will certainly look into that ship and keep those tips in mind.

For the Caribbean cruises, anyone know if there’s times of the year that should be avoided?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Very important question here....

Would wife actually love a cruise? Or do you just believe it will be a great thing for your missis. Think it through first.

I wouldn't like a cruise, but many would. Just saying before you fork out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

For the Caribbean cruises, anyone know if there’s times of the year that should be avoided?

Avoid spring break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Another vote for Royal Caribbean and the Allure of the Seas, we were on it for a week on our honeymoon two years ago and it was great. Did western Caribbean cruise with stop-offs in Haiti, Jamaica and Cozumel, left from Fort Lauderdale.

We went on a 18 night cruise with celebrity 2/3 years ago.
    San francisco to Maimai va the Panama Canal.
    It was savage.
    There were no kids on the ship which was very important for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just to give the other option:
    We did the 9 night Greek island tour with RC on the Symphony of the seas for our honeymoon. We sailed from Rome/Civitavecchia in early May so the weather was very warm but not uncomfortable. Stopped in Naples, Sicily, Rhodes, Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini with 2 days at sea. Fantastic cruise with so much to see in each of the stops. You can take it easy in port if you like but we had trips booked for every port as we wanted to see as much as possible while we were there. We had the balcony cabin but as Tazium mentioned, it wasn't worth the extra money. An interior cabin with a window would've been fine.

There weren't many children on the boat either in May which suited us. There was plenty to do on the boat and loads of activities if you want to participate. Food was amazing and the staff would fall over themselves to help you. Being honest the entertainment in the theatre on the boat was pretty naff so I wouldn't really be bothered with that, maybe some of the newer boats would have better entertainment. They had quizzes in the bar in the evenings though and we did a murder mystery evening one night which was a laugh.

The excursions pushed the cost up significantly for us but I'd estimate it was about £2k for the flights to Rome and the cruise all in. We pre-paid the gratuities too but didn't take the drinks package as we worked out it would be cheaper just to buy as we go. We had a bottle of wine with dinner each night and a whiskey in the bar after and that suited us perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Very important question here....

Would wife actually love a cruise? Or do you just believe it will be a great thing for your missis. Think it through first.

I wouldn't like a cruise, but many would. Just saying before you fork out for it.

We have been on two Royal Carribbean cruises. Western Mediterranean from Rome in 2016 and Carribbean Cruse from Port Canaveral, Florida in January this year. My husband was a little sceptical before we booked but absolutely loved both holidays, both ships had running tracks as he is an avid runner. If you book in advance you get good discounts and can make part-payments in advance. Similar to other posters we booked the drinks package and although we weren't drinking too much, it was great to have the option. We booked a balcony on both trips, I loved waking up early in the morning and sitting out on the balcony looking at the boat enter the next port. It is magical waking up in a new destination every day and having the option to explore the location. It's actually a great way to see parts of the world.

We sailed on Oasis of the Seas in the Caribbean and Jewel of the Seas in Europe. Very different ships and experiences even though they are owned by RC. But we thoroughly enjoyed them both and will definitely go again.

Go for it OP, you will have an amazing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

This thread has got me thinking about doing a Mediterranean cruise in maybe august or September.
    Would there be many children/teenagers on these ships..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

stratowide wrote: »
    This thread has got me thinking about doing a Mediterranean cruise in maybe august or September.
    Would there be many children/teenagers on these ships..?

August yes, September less so. We found (in October) the ship was big enough to avoid them.

We organised our own trips for days in port at a MUCH cheaper cost than those offered by the cruise line.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

September and October are considered hurricane season. Mightn't be the best time of year to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

missmatty wrote: »
    Another vote for Royal Caribbean and the Allure of the Seas, we were on it for a week on our honeymoon two years ago and it was great. Did western Caribbean cruise with stop-offs in Haiti, Jamaica and Cozumel, left from Fort Lauderdale.

We did the same for our honeymoon and it was fabulous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭techdiver

missmatty wrote: »

+1 on this. Did this as part of my honeymoon in 2012 and it was amazing. Was on the Oasis of the Seas (essentially the same spec as Allure).

If you can afford it and have the time, I would suggest going to Key West for a few days also. We flew into Miami and drove to Key West (about 3.5 hours) and stayed there for a few nights. Really beautiful place. We then drove to Fort Lauderdale and got the cruise from there.

techdiver wrote: »
    +1 on this. Did this as part of my honeymoon in 2012 and it was amazing. Was on the Oasis of the Seas (essentially the same spec as Allure).

If you can afford it and have the time, I would suggest going to Key West for a few days also. We flew into Miami and drove to Key West (about 3.5 hours) and stayed there for a few nights. Really beautiful place. We then drove to Fort Lauderdale and got the cruise from there.

Iv heard of people arriving to the port city the day before so they can be relaxed boarding and take in some of the city.

For us we will need to be wary of child minding at home etc so we will be only away for a limited time. I had though initially a European cruise would be better because if this but the Caribbean cruiser sound great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

We did that, arrived the day before the cruise left and stayed in the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. Got a fab corner room with great views, had a walk along the seafront and a lovely dinner in the hotel that night. Visited a local shopping centre the next day before getting an Uber to the cruise terminal, would recommend. Would not have stayed longer though as there wasn't much to do.

Iv heard of people arriving to the port city the day before so they can be relaxed boarding and take in some of the city.

For us we will need to be wary of child minding at home etc so we will be only away for a limited time. I had though initially a European cruise would be better because if this but the Caribbean cruiser sound great

When sailing out of Fort Lauderdale/US, I always arrive the night before. You normally need to be on board by 3 pm at the latest, and few, if any, flights from Ireland will get you there on time. Leaving Dublin/Shannon around 11am, it's often after 9pm local time before I get to Fort Lauderdale.

For European cruises I'm more inclined to travel on the morning if I've got a direct flight. Even if there are delays, the next port is normally reachable by other means if it comes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Has anyone done a different excursion other that Rome from Civitavecchia? We've done 2 excursions to Rome and want to do something different this time round?

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Has anyone done a different excursion other that Rome from Civitavecchia? We've done 2 excursions to Rome and want to do something different this time round?

Last time I stayed in Civitavecchia itself, and was pleasantly surprised. There are lots of nice cafes, a maritime museum, the fort, some more archaeological things, and shops. I was on quite a port intensive cruise, so a gentle day of strolling and drinking coffee was nice - no queuing for buses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Penny87

Has anyone ever booked a cruise with sunway?
    They seem to have pretty good deals and was thinking a travel agent would be better than booking separately.
    Just never booked through them before

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I did the MSC Seaside in March (western Caribbean) one week on cruise and 1 night either side of it in Miami

Much cheaper than other cruise liners and couldn't fault it.

We got a super price all in including every drink, hotels in miami and flights.

A tip if sailing from miami is do the day either side, not only can you relax but the flights are direct Friday and Sunday so you are saving money going direct ( we were going to fly home the saturday after getting off the cruise but stayed till sunday and saved €500!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Penny87

We are planning to do the Mediterranean cruise with Italy, France and Spain on the Divina. Never been on a cruise before so excited and nervous to make sure I'm booking it properly !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

We are heading on a MSC Belisimo Mediterranean cruise on Monday leaving Naples. Any tips? Have done a carribean Royal Caribbean cruise before but not sure what to expect with MSC.

Advertisement