Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Bundesliga the best all round league in Europe?

• 06-01-2013 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Obviously Spain and England have the superstars and the big money, but in terms of an all round ethically healthy product the German Bundesliga has loads of attractive qualities, all the clubs are German owned with fans having a big say in affairs, grounds are full to bursting every week, and there's a decent level of competition ie; Wolfsburg won it in 08 and Werder Bremen in 04, in addition to the Mannschaft being constant bit hitters in the Euro's and World Cup.

It's certainly the most underrated imho

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dont think its underrated particularly, gets plenty of recognition from people I speak with, some good quality in the league, teams are generally ran very well and the its competitive.

There is a thread for it however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Not really underrated, but not enough coverage on the telly, imo. I still can't understand, why they don't have any more live matches on ESPN anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

its a great league but just doesn't get enough coverage.I bet if Sky had the rights to it lads would be creaming themselves about it on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Have you not been listening to Sky...the EPL is the best and most exciting league ever.

/ thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The best thing about the German league is that there's generally plenty of goals in games. It must have one of the highest average for goals per game in Europe. Very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Great country to watch football in. Low prices, beer in the stadium, local transport included in the price of your match ticket. Big crowds too, you can stand if you want etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Another thing I like about it is the extra time at the end of the second half. More often than not its only 2 minutes even in the biggest games regardless of the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pfft! best league? when do they stir their lazy arses again?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Said it on here a few times before but I went to a FC Koln vs Hannover 96 match in '08 when I was over in Cologne, and it was an absolutely brilliant experience, been a fan of the league ever since. It's a real shame about ESPN's recent cut in coverage but they still have the league round-up show weekly which keeps me in touch. Also find German fans to be brilliant craic anytime I've ran into them on my travels.

The brand of football is very attractive, most teams really go out and try and win the game, rather than avoid a loss the way some teams in other leagues do, and there a huge amount of players that would have a serious impact in the Premier League were they to make the switch, but they don't see the Prem as a significant jump so they are happy to stay in the Bundesliga, and more power to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

would love to see more Dortmund live on ESPN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Saw Hamburg vs Dortmund back in September's and it was one of the best experiences of going to a game ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Have been to 5 Bundesliga grounds (going to Bayern in a fortnight so that'll be 6) and have been to 11 of the Premiership grounds and 5 La Liga.

No comparison between the latter 2 and the Bundesliga in terms of the matchday experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Working class prices = working class noise and atmosphere. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Working class prices = working class noise and atmosphere. It's not rocket science.

Cringe. I hope thats a drunk post :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Well priced tickets, good football played, can stand, beer.

German football is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Cringe. I hope thats a drunk post :pac:

Whilst it could have been phrased a lot less crudely, he does have a valid point. The "working class" in England and Spain(afaik, could be wrong) are being priced out of attending Premier League games. These are the heart of a team's support and are more likely to chant, sing and have the craic at football than the "upper class" prawn sandwich brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

baz2009 wrote: »

Whilst it could have been phrased a lot less crudely, he does have a valid point. The "working class" in England and Spain(afaik, could be wrong) are being priced out of attending Premier League games. These are the heart of a team's support and are more likely to chant, sing and have the craic at football than the "upper class" prawn sandwich brigade.

It's true, you get 3 or more working class people and put them in a confined space for a decent length of time and they can't help but break into song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The only downside is, if you have a derby match, in many cases, away supporters won't get beer at all, or alcohol free stuff :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's true, you get 3 or more working class people and put them in a confined space for a decent length of time and they can't help but break into song.

If you re-read my post, I specifically said football games. But hey, see how far you get trying to put people into a confined space hoping for a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

At least in India we have good coverage. Till last season Neo had rights for Serie A and Bundesliga games now ESPN have bought the rights for Serie A. So 2 channels are dedicated for Bundesliga games :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The only downside is, if you have a derby match, in many cases, away supporters won't get beer at all, or alcohol free stuff :rolleyes:

And with good reason. It can get a bit scary at the derby games, I've never seen anything like St. Pauli v Rostock, it would get very dangerous if alcohol was added to the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

The IFFSH recently released the list of most "powerful" leagues in the world.

Spain is first, brazil second, germany third, fourth Italy and fifth the EPL.

link

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohrio wrote: »
    The IFFSH recently released the list of most "powerful" leagues in the world.

Spain is first, brazil second, germany third, fourth Italy and fifth the EPL.

link

Any idea what the scores are based on? They have the Irish League ahead of the LOI which is incorrect imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Any idea what the scores are based on? They have the Irish League ahead of the LOI which is incorrect imo.

I am not 100% sure about this but from what I have read it is based on national scores-results (league and Cup) as well as continental and intercontinental´s (Fifa and Confederation cup). But I can´t be more especific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Possibly because the IFA have a seat on the IFAB. Thats the only thing i could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

IFFHS club and league rankings are silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

According to some news I read within the last few days the Bundesliga is the 2nd best attended league (across all sports) in the World, only beaten by the NFL.

1. NFL 67591
    2. Bundesliga 45,116*
    3. EPL 34,602
    4. Aussie Rules Football AFL 32,748
    5. Baseball MLB 30,895
    6. La Liga 28,462
    7. Canadian Football CFL 27,882
    8. Baseball NPB (Japan) 24,965
    9. Seria A 22,493
    10. Cricket IPL 23,763

NFL is miles ahead of everything, but it's a short season. But from a Football perspective Bundesliga has more then double the average attendance of the 4th most attended (football) league, Seria A. Quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

CSF wrote: »
    Have been to 5 Bundesliga grounds (going to Bayern in a fortnight so that'll be 6) and have been to 11 of the Premiership grounds and 5 La Liga.

No comparison between the latter 2 and the Bundesliga in terms of the matchday experience.

How did you get tickets for Bayern would love to get to see them not in the least bit jealous ha ha.

Been to a few grounds in Germany as well love the matches there the German supporters are nuts. Went to Cologne two years ago they were playing Wolfsburg the temperature was -14C I had so many layers on all good quality gear and I was still freezing. But there were these what I can describe as mad men at the home end bare chested guzzling cold beer all the way through the game, I must admit I was in awe of them.

Was lucky enough to be there when they hosted the World Cup as well, it was just one big party. The Germans just love their football it must be one of the best places in the world to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How did you get tickets for Bayern would love to get to see them not in the least bit jealous ha ha.

Been to a few grounds in Germany as well love the matches there the German supporters are nuts. Went to Cologne two years ago they were playing Wolfsburg the temperature was -14C I had so many layers on all good quality gear and I was still freezing. But there were these what I can describe as mad men at the home end bare chested guzzling cold beer all the way through the game, I must admit I was in awe of them.

Was lucky enough to be there when they hosted the World Cup as well, it was just one big party. The Germans just love their football it must be one of the best places in the world to watch it.
    Just went through viagogo. Bit more expensive but you'll pretty much always get one unless its a massive game.

• Advertisement

764dak wrote: »
    IFFHS club and league rankings are silly.

Indeed, the have been putting Mourinho as best coach for four years in a row, go figure

Advertisement