Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Extra Balbriggan new opening hours

Options
  • 06-01-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up : the Balbriggan Tesco is now longer 24x7 from today
    new opening hours are from 6am to Midnight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Heard that before Christmas alright. As many of us speculated here on boards, it was only a matter of time before it became unfeasable to open 24/7.
    The reasoning I was given by the girl on customer service, is because they only pay 1 security guard for the night shift and the place was being fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I was told pretty much the same by a Tesco member of staff.

Night staff will still be working but the shop will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Dave smooch finished up last week too. I hope no more go. January is a rotten time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I read that yesterday while in store.
    On a similar note, I was in Lidl in Balbriggan yesterday, and found it had virtually no fruit and veg at 3pm on a Sunday. When I asked at the tills they indicated a delivery had not arrived.
    So I went up to Tesco, and low and behold they had very little. Shelves were very low in Fruit and Vag, but they had a lot of reduced short dated items (very brown etc.). I asked someone there, and they said that Keelings now stock all the fruit and veg at nights, hence Tesco staff cannot do anything about shortages during the day. On a positive note, they suggested the Fruit and Veg store beside Tesco was good. And they were right. Oranges, strawberries all cheaper.

yeah that fruit and veg shop is a great little place. Very cheap for their spuds, and they do good deals on oranges and apples etc. They regularly have more unusual items like sharon fruit and fresh figs, plantain etc. And can order in stuff for you. They also do unpasteurised milk and locally produced jams and stuff. The plum jam and marmalade is to die for.

• Advertisement

Little Ted wrote: »
    yeah that fruit and veg shop is a great little place. Very cheap for their spuds, and they do good deals on oranges and apples etc. They regularly have more unusual items like sharon fruit and fresh figs, plantain etc. And can order in stuff for you. They also do unpasteurised milk and locally produced jams and stuff. The plum jam and marmalade is to die for.

They also saved our christmas dinner by having sprouts on christmas eve when tesco had sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I read that yesterday while in store.
    On a similar note, I was in Lidl in Balbriggan yesterday, and found it had virtually no fruit and veg at 3pm on a Sunday. When I asked at the tills they indicated a delivery had not arrived.
    So I went up to Tesco, and low and behold they had very little. Shelves were very low in Fruit and Vag, but they had a lot of reduced short dated items (very brown etc.). I asked someone there, and they said that Keelings now stock all the fruit and veg at nights, hence Tesco staff cannot do anything about shortages during the day. On a positive note, they suggested the Fruit and Veg store beside Tesco was good. And they were right. Oranges, strawberries all cheaper.

And there is a very handsome cleaver polite charming young man working there...
    Ok ok it's my son :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Which Shop is this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The fruit and veg shop in Millfield

Stheno wrote: »
    The fruit and veg shop in Millfield

That's the one! beside the Carphone Warehouse, opposite the euro shop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

That butchers is great up there too, That place has been my source of dinner since it opened and the old castlemill butcher closed! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

But hasnt the old castlemill butcher now re-opened just down from the original shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Morpheus wrote: »
    But hasnt the old castlemill butcher now re-opened just down from the original shop?

Nope it's not the same, New owner. They still use the old labels on their products. It's still nice but not a patch on the old Castlemills butcher for selections or quality. Not bad though..

In a millfield related note, Graham O'Sullivans is now closed too. The wife was up there earlier and they were talking it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Jimdagym wrote: »
    In a millfield related note, Graham O'Sullivans is now closed too. The wife was up there earlier and they were talking it apart.

I heard before Christmas they were closing.

Rent is too high (€55k) for the number of customers that go into the restaurant.

Jimdagym wrote: »

Thats a shame from a jobs point of view, but I have to say I am not surprised - the quality and selection of food left a lot to be desired. Also, I always wonder why the centre designers thought it was a good idea to put the proposed food outlets down that end of the centre - the opposite end has an amazing view of Balbriggan, out across the sea and even up on the left you can see Mourne on a good day. If the view was nicer I'd be more inclined to stop and have a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

sgarvan wrote: »
    I heard before Christmas they were closing.

Rent is too high (€55k) for the number of customers that go into the restaurant.

Crikey that's a massive rent to be covering for a restaurant that would have their average customer buying a coffee and a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Thats a shame from a jobs point of view, but I have to say I am not surprised - the quality and selection of food left a lot to be desired. Also, I always wonder why the centre designers thought it was a good idea to put the proposed food outlets down that end of the centre - the opposite end has an amazing view of Balbriggan, out across the sea and even up on the left you can see Mourne on a good day. If the view was nicer I'd be more inclined to stop and have a coffee.
    Two reasons I'd imagine: 1) In the long term the view may be extinguished/diminished with planning already granted for a four story building with roof top car park between it and the the road, 2) it gets no sun as it's north facing, the other orientation is west, south west facing so gets lunchtime, afternoon and evening sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I wonder is it the beginning of the end for Millfeild SC. Personally I would be one of those customers who would enjoy a coffee in Grahams, I thought it was the nicest coffee out of the 3. Ah well, it's a pitty.

If that really is the rent, someone needs to think long and hard about it, or else it will be an empty unit for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I wonder is it the beginning of the end for Millfeild SC. Personally I would be one of those customers who would enjoy a coffee in Grahams, I thought it was the nicest coffee out of the 3. Ah well, it's a pitty.

If that really is the rent, someone needs to think long and hard about it, or else it will be an empty unit for a long time.
    On a similar note, I noticed that the Cead Mile Failte cafe is closed (used to be the Bagel Bar… On Drogheda Street.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Two reasons I'd imagine: 1) In the long term the view may be extinguished/diminished with planning already granted for a four story building with roof top car park between it and the the road, 2) it gets no sun as it's north facing, the other orientation is west, south west facing so gets lunchtime, afternoon and evening sun.

You might be right about the sun, but I have to say, never have I had the pleasure of the sun there...but then there are nto many places on our damp little isle that I get that pleasure anyway! ;)

Where abouts is that 4 storey builing you mention being located. Between the end of the SC and the road there is only the grave yard and the field beside it so I imagine the field? what's the building for, do you happen to know?

Would I be right in saying that's for the Aldi with the apartments on top? To go into the field where the circus goes. Aldi say they're not going to build because of the rates & planning charges to build...

Yeah that sounds about right...but I would hope that Aldi have a enough business sense to realise that with a 24hr tesco next door, and a lidl within a few miles, plus a Dunnes and Supervalu added to the fact that most of the newer estates are still half empty they would be mad to spend that kind of money now. I know the whole aldi thing was originally planned during the boom, but I really don't think it is needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Was in that fruit and veg shop this morning. Really lovely staff, and great prices. Bought a 2 litre of milk for Eur1.29, while I think own brand in Tesco was Eur1.69. All their fruit and veg was great quality, and some prices beat Tesco's while others not so.....

I normally get my store cupboard items in Tesco, fruit & veg in the grocer's along with milk & cream then meat in Browne's. :-)

Advertisement