Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heathrow hotels + views of the runways(s)

• 06-01-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

I've an overnight in Heathrow coming up, any advice on which hotel to stay in so I get a good view of the runway in terms of aircraft spotting?

Any further hints or tips on this subject would be most appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

The Renaissance is generally considered best,but it is expensive and the room view is a bit clinical.

Far better off staying at Jurys which has good approach views and is a short walk to Hatton Cross where you can view arrivals on 27L on short finals.

Also you can use the buses which operate along the perimeter road for free to access 27R,T5 etc.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes, stayed in Jurys a couple of years ago, great views if they are landing on 27L. Triple glazing, 747s skiming the rooftop and you could hear a pin drop in the room.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

If you take a short walk down to Myrtle Avenue(5 mins walk from Hatton Cross tube station) this is what you can expect to see if they are landing on 27L.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siliconjoe

An alternitive is Premier Inn,Bath Road very obliging if you ring and explain your requirements,about same price range as Jury,but some times have offers on.(runway 27,)I dont think any of the hotels are any good for spotting if on 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

siliconjoe wrote: »
    An alternitive is Premier Inn,Bath Road very obliging if you ring and explain your requirements,about same price range as Jury,but some times have offers on.(runway 27,)I dont think any of the hotels are any good for spotting if on 09.

Isn't this a bit far from the perimeter? (I may be thinking of the wrong Premier Inn though)
    I know that there is a Holiday Inn along the road that runs parallel to RWY27R.

Can be seen in the background of this pic:

1406826636_743edbbab2.jpg
    BMI A320 at LHR by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

If they are landing on the easterlies you'll feel a bit cheated if spotting is your thing.
    Check the weather! IMO the best views of traffic into heathrow is in a howling northerly wind. Savage wind shear on approach when winds in excess of 20kts from the north so you are bound to get some go arounds if your into action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭weisses

If they are landing on the easterlies you'll feel a bit cheated if spotting is your thing.
    Check the weather! IMO the best views of traffic into heathrow is in a howling northerly wind. Savage wind shear on approach when winds in excess of 20kts from the north so you are bound to get some go arounds if your into action.

Tell that to my missus that our Holiday departure will depend on the wind direction at Heathrow ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siliconjoe

Quite agree,the Premier shown in your photo would be U/Sfor spotting the one i am referring too is situated on the South side of the Bath Road about 900mtrs to the East of the Renaissance. If landing on27R(generally 06.00-07.00 and15.00-23.30) great for spotting,rest of the time A/C lining up can be got from the car park at the rear of the hotel (not great for camera work).Hotel is well served by shuttle bus.Phone No.0871 527 8508(U.K)Ask for High Level at rear or facing airport (No,i am not employed by them).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Johnny901

Stayed at the Premier Inn, great when 27 R in use, a few years ago since I stayed there, but there is a small beer garden out the back that faces the 27R approach, nice on a summer's evening.

You can also make out 27 L traffic.

To see departures off 27R a ten minute walk to the runway is required.

This website has lots of info :)

http://aircraftspotting.co.uk/gtlondon.php#london heathrow airport

Advertisement