Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzling laptop sound issue

Options
  • 06-01-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I'm using a relatively ancient laptop and there's no sound, which I think is a result of someone tinkering around with multimedia controller - see below screenshot of unknown device (multimedia audio controller). It seems that whatever audio device was on the laptop has been removed.

If I go into "sound and audio device properties" it says NO AUDIO DEVICE and everything is greyed out. And the problem is not a disabled windows audio, I checked and it is already enabled.

Usually this kind of thing is easy enough to fix but I just can't get my head around this one. Any ideas on how to give this laptop some sound?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You need to find the audio driver for the laptop and install it. See here for more info

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Right click and disabale multimedia audio controller. You should be fine then. Normal driver seems to be there for audio just conflicting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Hi Nick, I followed the instructions of that site and game up with this vendor/device code:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_05371014&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&FD

but can't find a driver for it. Any idea?

areyawell - I already tried disabling it but it doesn't make any difference. It seems that something has been removed from the list of "sound, video and game controllers" relating to sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is what google says it is. Fairly common older sound card.

What Operating system are you using? the attached image looks like XP?
    you might have try 3DP-Chip, download here

It will look at the main hardware on the computer and resolve the device ID for you, then give you a nice easy download link to the latest software

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

have you visited the manufacturers website, they may still have a download section for drivers for your model, if not an email to them might give you a list of whats needed. Can you post manufacturer and model.

• Advertisement

platinums wrote: »
    SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is what google says it is. Fairly common older sound card.

What Operating system are you using? the attached image looks like XP?
    you might have try 3DP-Chip, download here

It will look at the main hardware on the computer and resolve the device ID for you, then give you a nice easy download link to the latest software
    OS is XP.

I just downloaded the 3dp_chip file but on executing it was asked if I wanted to overwrite etc. So, the driver is already on the computer, yet still no sound.
    johndoe99 wrote: »
    have you visited the manufacturers website, they may still have a download section for drivers for your model, if not an email to them might give you a list of whats needed. Can you post manufacturer and model.
    I went to the Lenovo website and downloaded the relevant audio driver but had the same result as with 3dp_chip mentioned above.

I'm genuinely puzzled over this one. I've disabled that unknown media controller device in the device manager, but hasn't made a difference.

Model name: IBM Thinkpad T42

I just downloaded the 3dp_chip file but on executing it was asked if I wanted to overwrite etc. So, the driver is already on the computer, yet still no sound.

Did you go ahead and allow it to overwrite the driver?

the driver there may be corrupted, each driver can contains several files, any of which could be corrupted or even deleted.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Did you go ahead and allow it to overwrite the driver?

the driver there may be corrupted, each driver can contains several files, any of which could be corrupted or even deleted.
    Yes I did, I was thinking the same thing myself but still no joy. :(

have you visited the Control Panel to check that the mute box is empty.

Your Control Panel might also have an icon for an Audio Manager Software specific for your thinkpad, have a look to see if theres any, if so check those settings.

I checked that. It says "No audio device" and all the options are greyed out. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi Nick, I followed the instructions of that site and game up with this vendor/device code:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_05371014&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&FD

but can't find a driver for it. Any idea?

areyawell - I already tried disabling it but it doesn't make any difference. It seems that something has been removed from the list of "sound, video and game controllers" relating to sound.
    Sorry for the delay in replying, try this driver see how you get on :) . That hardware id looks to be Soundmax (can be a awkward one to find)

Nick

Advertisement