Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats going to happen to shopping centre opposite supermacs in athlone

Options
  • 06-01-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

its a disgrace the way this shoping centre has turn out who owns it now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I suppose you could say its a sleeping giant.

AmPm should take it over and wake it up from its deep slumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is the car park even used in it. Its an awful site to look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I have no idea who owns it now but something needs to be done with it. Is the Polish supermarket still there? I think it's the only tenent the place has at the moment. But you only have to look at the place and look at the old Texas site in Tullamore to know who is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

In fairness though from Supermacs to Marys Discount store has gone down big time in the last few years. Rayners that was booming 10 years ago gone, the main shops have moved to other areas affecting this area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Imagine the sound of the door bell / buzzer when one enters and leaves the shop

It would be louder than the church bells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Imagine the sound of the door bell / buzzer when one enters and leaves the shop

It would be louder than the church bells

Maybe they could turn it into a maaaaaasive art gallery!

Tom Mcnamara was the man behind it. Texas Tom yoooooour craaazzzyy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Maybe the old cinema will re open...or paramount amusement arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

And to add to it ...they (cant remember the investors name) are looking into building another complex out past Ganlys ... cos thats exactly what Athlone needs .... another shopping centre!

I read somewhere they were in talks with Aldi about opening a store out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    And to add to it ...they (cant remember the investors name) are looking into building another complex out past Ganlys ... cos thats exactly what Athlone needs .... another shopping centre!

at least it would located on the good side of Athlone

nice_guy80 wrote: »

at least it would located on the good side of Athlone
    Athlone has a good side?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'd put a hefty wager on "they" being someone of a Roscommon ilk.

The anchor tenant in the place would end up being Heatons or Massie Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Yeah, your right, I read that in the paper last week.
    Aldi are actively looking for new sites in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Tesco to open in Monksland with petrol pumps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Doubtful.

I'd put a hefty wager on "they" being someone of a Roscommon ilk.

The anchor tenant in the place would end up being Heatons or Massie Ferguson.

At least it would be profitable as oppose to pouncy cafe's or clothes shops for shapers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

At least it would be profitable as oppose to pouncy cafe's or clothes shops for shapers
    Don't worry, I'm sure they will open up a shop that sells wellies and body-warmers just for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

See how far we've come from the original point about the old shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

It's a bloody eyesore the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

It's a bloody eyesore the way it is now.
    the only things in that place is the polish shop atm and the car parking who gets the money from the car parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

finky1 wrote: »
    the only things in that place is the polish shop atm and the car parking who gets the money from the car parking

Wrong - Shannon Dry Cleaners are still there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

There can be few buldings more ugly than an unused concrete multi floor
    car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I was in AmPm the other day, not much on the selves at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

good idea that, big population out that way in Kiltoom. They probably wouldn't bother going into town at that rate

Some pretty posh areas out that way though, Hodson Bay and Barrymore namely, surely they wouldn't slum it in Aldi though :P

Build it (Marks and Spencers) and they will come ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

heard (probably a rumor) that they are looking to go in opposite Elan just off the roundabout. Few people have said it to me now at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

planning has been lodged for this as well. Seen the add in the paper recently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That would be a boost for the area, but a possible disaster for the likes of Bannons out the Tuam road and Connaughtons Londis, which seems to be over crowded with cars at peak times. The old 'old' shopping centre in town opposite Supermacs definately needs a lift, even if they used the site as a car park. Would help with parking for the likes of Golden island and the new Centre in town.

The main street from the Bridge, never mind Marys back down towards Supermacs needs a bit of a face lift as well to be honest. I'm not sure I'd support pedestrianising the street or making a one way out of it though.

Itzy wrote: »
    That would be a boost for the area, but a possible disaster for the likes of Bannons out the Tuam road and Connaughtons Londis, which seems to be over crowded with cars at peak times. The old 'old' shopping centre in town opposite Supermacs definately needs a lift, even if they used the site as a car park. Would help with parking for the likes of Golden island and the new Centre in town.

The main street from the Bridge, never mind Marys back down towards Supermacs needs a bit of a face lift as well to be honest. I'm not sure I'd support pedestrianising the street or making a one way out of it though.
    Id be in favour of a one way system on church Street if it was implemented properly.
    When they trialed it in 2008 they didnt think of the volume of cars coming across the bridge who had to try and get through traffic all the way from the bridge as far as the cresent.
    It was a nightmare trying to get into the middle of town from the west. If you have a street that is one way the logical thing to have is another street going one way in the opposite direction

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

+1 for a pedestrianized street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Jayob10 wrote: »
    good idea that, big population out that way in Kiltoom. They probably wouldn't bother going into town at that rate

Some pretty posh areas out that way though, Hodson Bay and Barrymore namely, surely they wouldn't slum it in Aldi though :P

Build it (Marks and Spencers) and they will come ;)

Barrymore is also known as "Borrowmore" , There is a lot "Fur Coat No Nickers" people living in Both Barrymore/Hodson Bay and yes lots of them shop in Aldi , BTW a lot of folk out that way head to Roscommon to to do food shopping as Dunnes/Tesco/Aldi are next to each and easy to manage,
    I would agree Aldi on the west side of Athlone would do a bomb , Jusk look at Supervalu in Monksland , On Xmas eve they had to close the doors and operate strict crowd control.

• Advertisement

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm sure they will open up a shop that sells wellies and body-warmers just for you :)

Oh dear, I will be thorn between that and my loyalty to Dolan's Shop , next to Croughan's in Castlemaine St.

Still at least the body warmer will do the job and won't cost €60-220 just for the joys of a logo and a style that says, "rent boy"

Advertisement