Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats going to happen to shopping centre opposite supermacs in athlone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

On saying that, would Aldi close down their operation near Irish Town to open a new unit or run both. The west side of Athlone is in need of some redevelopment as well. If they were to do something to make Seans Bar area more attractive, as attractive as it is alreay, I'm sure the area could even better in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Tesco to open in Monksland with petrol pumps ?

Already a Tesco just before you turn into Monksland off the Tuam road.

Itzy wrote: »
    On saying that, would Aldi close down their operation near Irish Town to open a new unit or run both.

They are looking for a second site as far as I know due to the huge popularity of the current Aldi store in town. But the new one would be not much off the motorway so easy access for everyone who lives outside town if they get the plot they want on Roscommon road.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

that plot on the ballymahon road that is up for sale(the old bucanneers pitch apparently) may be useful to the likes of Aldi. I dont think it would sustain the business that the current planning permission is for, but might suit Aldi if its big enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well I could see Lidl opening another store on such a site if Aldi were to open on the other side of town. They would both have the population in the surrounding areas to open one new store each. Tesco should still open the store and pumps opposite Elan. Giver Supervalue a run for it's money, even though it would be a small store possibly.

The west side of Athlone despite all the building works, needs to attract new business, especially in the Monksland area.

• Advertisement

tubos wrote: »
    that plot on the ballymahon road that is up for sale(the old bucanneers pitch apparently) may be useful to the likes of Aldi. I dont think it would sustain the business that the current planning permission is for, but might suit Aldi if its big enough.

I think the aim might be to get it out the roscommon side due to the increased population in the last ten years. Monksland/River Village/Bealnamulla have all grown a lot and between those areas and surrounding areas, it could be enough to keep a shop such Aldi running well.

The plot on Ballymahon Road is a nice spot, but I think it would be too small. You could fit a large store on it no problem, but then you need to think about car parking, commercial access (as far as I know, there are some restrictions on entrances to properties for commercial access ie; delivery trucks need to turn off the main road before entering the property boundary (don't quote me on that, its just something that came to mind but not 100% sure of it.))

The west side of Athlone despite all the building works, needs to attract new business, especially in the Monksland area.

Monksland is doing quite well in attracting new businesses, the monksland business park has have a number of new businesses open up in the last few years, and a few revamped to keep up. Although, there are still plenty of empty units left, business is generally good in Monksland.

Generally the west side of town needs alittle bit of redevelopment. Especially the older buildings along Connaught street.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I was over that side the other day. There are so many vacant units even though the west side has already had a redevelopment plan implemented by the government to make the area more attractive to business. Seems there isnt many larger business on that side to attract consumers as there is on the east side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Connaught St has been dead since a long time before any Celtic tigers arrived. I remember doing a survey on it for civics back in secondary school in the 90s and I think about a third of the units were empty at that stage. The core business district of Athlone slowly but surely drifted across from St Peter's Sq to Church St and then on to Golden Island/Irishtown.

Can't see the westside, particularly Connaught St, prospering in any meaningful way anytime soon, unless a large and meaningful regeneration project was to be undertaken. That redevelopment plan was little more than oul pub talk.

• Advertisement

That's what the west side of the town needs though. A regeneration project to clean up the likes of Connaught street.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

That's what the west side of the town needs though. A regeneration project to clean up the likes of Connaught street.
    I think every side of town needs a regeneration project (look at the amount of empty units in church st and irishtown)...

Maybe every town needs one too....

Until both rent and rates becone affordable nothing will be done. Even the businesses that are still open are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder, with the news that B&Q Athlone is to close (no major surprise, Athlone has way too many DIY outlets), perhaps Tesco or Aldi might look into opening there. It has great access to the bypass/motorway and loads of parking space.
    Tesco must be feeling quite constrained in Golden Island at the minute. When you look at stores they have in Tullamore, Ballinasloe and Birr for example, the site of B&Q would be perfect for one of those style stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

BTW a lot of folk out that way head to Roscommon to to do food shopping as Dunnes/Tesco/Aldi are next to each and easy to manage,
    and the mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Athlone is a funny ol town. Population wise it is quite large by Irish standards and its central location makes it handy for alot of reasons. Problem is it lacks a proper main street. Golden Island put the tin hat on Church St as a proper shopping street. The new town centre is nice but its squeezed into existing streetscapes preventing it from having a proper visual impact save the approach from the town hall. Connaught St would bring a tear to a glass eye. There's a bit of charm around the castle seans bar area. Otherwise the town centre is stringy with a lack of core/focal point to it. As for the Texas centre :D, to address the topic! I can only imagine the wrecking ball after years of decay. The view from St Mary's Sq is particularly distressing. Oh well :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Ideally Church Street should be a pedestrianised high street but it would cause havoc for the traffic in the town. I agree the nicest part of the town is around the castle and Main Street, it's the only part of the town centre that has had any money invested in it in recent years. Irishtown has gone to f*ck and the Texas Centre should be knocked, there's not much else you can do with it.

holyhead wrote: »
    Athlone is a funny ol town. Population wise it is quite large by Irish standards and its central location makes it handy for alot of reasons. Problem is it lacks a proper main street. Golden Island put the tin hat on Church St as a proper shopping street. The new town centre is nice but its squeezed into existing streetscapes preventing it from having a proper visual impact save the approach from the town hall. Connaught St would bring a tear to a glass eye. There's a bit of charm around the castle seans bar area. Otherwise the town centre is stringy with a lack of core/focal point to it. As for the Texas centre :D, to address the topic! I can only imagine the wrecking ball after years of decay. The view from St Mary's Sq is particularly distressing. Oh well :o
    Seen in the paper the council are trying to get the texas shopping centre declared derelict if the developer isnt willing to tidy it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

athlonelad wrote: »
    Seen in the paper the council are trying to get the texas shopping centre declared derelict if the developer isnt willing to tidy it up.

Good idea. They should force him to maintain it if they can but I can't see them getting a green light to demolish it much as I'd like to see the eyesore demolished. The developer no doubt pledged the property against loans which are now in default/NAMA so even if the developer is guilty of not maintaining it the Council would have to get past a bank/NAMA who aren't going to just walk away from it. They would rather auction the site, take what cash they can get, and move the problem on to a new owner who might (hopefully) determine that the best use of the site is to knock it and turn it into a car park!!

Ben

BenThere wrote: »

Good idea. They should force him to maintain it if they can but I can't see them getting a green light to demolish it much as I'd like to see the eyesore demolished. The developer no doubt pledged the property against loans which are now in default/NAMA so even if the developer is guilty of not maintaining it the Council would have to get past a bank/NAMA who aren't going to just walk away from it. They would rather auction the site, take what cash they can get, and move the problem on to a new owner who might (hopefully) determine that the best use of the site is to knock it and turn it into a car park!!

Ben

It is essentially already a carpark. Where did you hear it was in NAMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

athlonelad wrote: »
    It is essentially already a carpark. Where did you hear it was in NAMA?

I didn't say it was in NAMA. I said the owner 'may' have outstanding finance on it which could have been transferred to NAMA. Who knows?

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

that atm at shoping centre is a nightmare to use at night .pitch dark cant see the numbers when putting in your pin number a great chance someone will be robbed at night there beware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

surely if the right shops were there it could be a success?

Tomjim wrote: »
    surely if the right shops were there it could be a success?

With half the retail units in town already empty? Doubt it. Golden island and to a lesser extent athlone town centre have the shopping centre type shops covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

And put what into it? Leave it vacant again, for years, do little to entice business (eg tax relief) and allow it to go derlict again? The narrowness of the road might not help, for traffic and deliveries (paedestrianise it?)

A lot of work (whether suitable or not) has been done to the area - Jesus it took the council over 13 years or so to force the demolition of the Shamrock Bar (Jim Fauls old spot).

I remember that area so well. Even look at old RTE clips, even in the 1980's when we had nothing, but "the rain and the poverty" all of these premises were full! and extremely busy (feck all on the other side of course) Shops with all sorts of nic nacs. Remember McGuires for Ice Cream before / after going down to St Peter's Gym at the College for winter league ?

The west use to have everything prior to 1992ish. A Bank of Ireland, loads of butchers, DH Burkes, Pockets........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

holyhead wrote: »

flick through the archives of the Westmeath Independent between 8-10 years ago. There had been plans to incorportate the new town centre with Church St and pedestainise it. I think there was plans to remodel the COI too. For numberous reasons it was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 djethro

And there was talk of removing the St Mary Church st in the in the glory tiger days. Council took the corner of their carpark and had great plans but dare i say it gone like the snows of last winter.

Texas center is owned but the National Asset Management Arseholes previous owner Texas Tom. He can be found in a coffee shop in Tullamore.

Aldi site is the one opposite First Stop tyres. Environmental impact report due on it before they commit, no harm to spice up our side of town, <––––Monksland resident that I am. Nice it is there too. With our new footpaths etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Hi all, just out of curiosity does anyone know where I could find pictures of the inside of the old town centre (the dilapidated texas one)?

You might want to check with a few photographers around the town. If they don't have any, the Westmeath Independent may have a few in their archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

i see they are cleaning out the shoping centre 2 big skips outside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Maybe seamy hayes is gonna reopen music world and movie world....

Advertisement