Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats going to happen to shopping centre opposite supermacs in athlone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Looks like they could be doing something with the place and would be great to see someone make use of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Maybe seamy hayes is gonna reopen music world and movie world....
    Maybe Quinnsworth are going to open a supermarket and Keenan's, Lifestyle Sports, Scotts Bakery and Blacoe Jewelers are opening stores there too.

Seriously though I think the best move would be to knock the whole thing and build a carpark. I can't think of any better way to revitalise that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Maybe Quinnsworth are going to open a supermarket and Keenan's, Lifestyle Sports, Scotts Bakery and Blacoe Jewelers are opening stores there too.

Seriously though I think the best move would be to knock the whole thing and build a carpark. I can't think of any better way to revitalise that part of town.
    Most of it is a carpark already! The whole left side of it is a multistorey carpark.

athlonelad wrote: »
    Most of it is a carpark already! The whole left side of it is a multistorey carpark.
    I mean a big free open carpark. Did the multi-story carpark even get much use?

In its prime it did. Before golden island. Its not a public area so I dont see how it could be free parking.
    Multistorey is closed now AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember the old Athlone shopping centre back in the 80s when it was the only shopping centre in the Midlands. There was a Quinnsworth and a number of other shops.

When it opened in 1974 it, along with Dundalk SC were the only enclosed shopping centres outside of the cities. Architecturally - even for the 70s - it was an utter eyesore. It looked more like a 1930s factory than a 1970s shopping mall.

At this stage it's probably best to demolish the structure and build something else on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

It may need to revamped and cleaned up, i think for retail the building itself if fine as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

apparently Dermot Fox is going to resurrect newsfare too.

Mick Silke is stockpiling DVDs to reopen Movie World as we speak. Rumour has is it he was seen in Easons buying a whole pile of those postcard sized blank cards for the membership accounts.

they're is also ongoing discussions with various international film distributors with the aim of putting a cinema on the roof which can't be accessed by wheelchair. Due to size constraints, cinema goers will be required to queue on the steps in the pi$$Ing rain.

it's going to be like an Athlone retail version of The Expendables.

The Sleeping Giants of Athlone commerce are awakening.

I was trying to remember the name of the newsagents that was there. Also was McGorisk's the pharmacy that was located across from it at the corner?

I only remember being in that cinema once when I was about 7 or 8, I think it was for The Flintstones movie or something. Don't remember much about it the place apart from the outside steps.

Also was McGorisk's the pharmacy that was located across from it at the corner?

never knew which was mcsharry's or which was mcgorisk's! Still don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

It made a great helipad!

:pac:

Nforce wrote: »
    It made a great helipad!

That's probably the only reason it was built, so Texas Tom could land a helicoptor on it.

they're is also ongoing discussions with various international film distributors with the aim of putting a cinema on the roof which can't be accessed by wheelchair. Due to size constraints, cinema goers will be required to queue on the steps in the pi$$Ing rain.

I dont see people braving the weather for a movie, but if the weather was better around summer then maybe, i see this as a part-time sessional thing. More of a gimmick that will bring people from all around.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rooftop-Cinema-Athlone/157460357779657

ifeelill wrote: »
    I dont see people braving the weather for a movie, but if the weather was better around summer then maybe, i see this as a part-time sessional thing. More of a gimmick that will bring people from all around.

no, maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I was trying to remember the name of the newsagents that was there. Also was McGorisk's the pharmacy that was located across from it at the corner?

I only remember being in that cinema once when I was about 7 or 8, I think it was for The Flintstones movie or something. Don't remember much about it the place apart from the outside steps.

I think it was called news fare. They moved to golden island but have since gone.

That rooftop cinema has a facebook page

Is that page not a piss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hope so. The imc is not busy enough that there is demand for another cinema

I thought it was looking at it until i seen the previous post talking about it
    Hope so. The imc is not busy enough that there is demand for another cinema

You must be the baldy IMC manager :pac::pac:

Is he a very angry man too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

No but my love for easy come easy go businesses died when the rayners bar got the same sort of daft takeovers where there was no demand.

• Advertisement

No but my love for easy come easy go businesses died when the rayners bar got the same sort of daft takeovers where there was no demand.

There will only be a demand for a rooftop cinema when the weather is good which is a rare occasion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Nforce wrote: »
    It made a great helipad!

hahaha, had forgot about that.

I was talking to some of the shop owners in the area over the weekend and they have no idea what's going on in there.

Maybe Quinnsworth are going to open a supermarket

WRONG! :pac::pac:

End of the line for Superquinn

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/end-of-the-line-for-superquinn-all-stores-to-rebrand-29480998.html

You misread my post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

See it's been given a bit of an external paint job. Wonder if it will be reopened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Whatever about the ols shopping center..
    Got the steak sandwich across the road in supermacs this evening. ..fooking lovely it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

atm banking is gone today also beware clambers are back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is there an American-style diner in there now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Rasmus wrote: »
    Is there an American-style diner in there now?

Even a Restaurant with a Michelin Star chef would not save the place , Wrecking ball required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

galait wrote: »
    Even a Restaurant with a Michelin Star chef would not save the place , Wrecking ball required

Eh yeah, but has a diner gone in there?

Advertisement