Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was the Ira really that popular in the 70s,80s or 90s

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

barney 20v wrote: »
    Different views that's all , this is a discussion not a debate BTW.
    And resorting to personal abuse does you no favours
    ...and for the record I mainly posted about my perception from an Irish catholic living in the republic.
    If your inferring I am trolling by all means contact a mod, I stand Over my posts.
    Once again to be Irish /catholic and non pro sinn fein seems to make one a troll in many posters eyes.

Like wise Barney ;)

I'm usually very careful not to cross the line to personal abuse, if you feel I have, the report post button is to the left of this post, down at the bottom, with a ! Displayed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Ghandee wrote: »

Like wise Barney ;)

I'm usually very careful not to cross the line to personal abuse, if you feel I have, the report post button is to the left of this post, down at the bottom, with a ! Displayed on it.
    I will review your posts and if I feel its warranted I most certainly will.also the report button varies in location depending on which device/app you use! A little heads up eh ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I will review your posts and if I feel its warranted I most certainly will.also the report button varies in location depending on which device/app you use! A little heads up eh ?!

kinda rough that you're that desperate to be right somewhere in this thread that you'd mention that.
    petty.

SV wrote: »

kinda rough that you're that desperate to be right somewhere in this thread that you'd mention that.
    petty.
    Helpful I thought ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ghandee wrote: »
    Possibly trolling, undecided atm.

Possibly trolling? Possible deliberate derailing? Attention seeking? With 3 times as many posts as the next nearest poster... who's to know?
    Ah sure then!
    In what way?
    Omagh chuck.... Omagh.
    I can... only one part of that post though... Have you ever considered why the difference developed?
    Completely aware ty, they were/are part of the ira greater cause though correct? Also this thread does not identify any particular ira faction in its original post....they operated in the 90's correct?
    One word for it I guess....
    Sinn fein would love that......
    Oh trust me, one sinn fein is one too many.
    And please explain your comments regarding your opinion of my inability to discern groups and eras...
    Rira-omagh.....
    This thread is not provisional ira specific before someone else sprouts that one again.
    Omagh,
    He's lucky? To have you to answer... Unfortunately your words do not count etc.... Sound familiar ?
    To me a republican murderer is still Just that, regardless of what group he/she attaches themselves to.

As previously explained to you on another thread I am FULLY aware of the different sf/ira factions and the illegal activities .
    Does it state prov ira only in the op?
    Surely the Rira atrocities in Omagh are pertinent to this thread and subsequent Rira/circ/prov ira popularity !
    Indeed,however as this thread is about the ira in whatever incarnation I choose only to comment on republican murders... Fair enough?
    Nor does the op exclude other factions... The op does not clearly define that its your version of the ira exclusively. I agree with what you say about Omagh . Still Republican murderers though.
    Bringing up Omagh etc is necessary to show why the Republican movement fell on its ass in the late 90's. Not nit picking - just stating facts old boy!
    I didn't pick the topic , the op did... Pm them perhaps?
    Sorry but at 19 you were an adult... Saying you were a child etc is not accurate.
    Why do you ask?
    All about context... Nothing more
    Just because you do not recognise rira as true republicans does not hide the fact they claim to act on behalf of the republican cause. You can call them "so called" republicans I call Them republican murderers. To me their is no distinction . I am of the opinion that although the early stages of the peace process had started Omagh was one republican fcuk up too far. Let me remind you the rira for the most part originated from the prov ira.
    Attacking the poster not the post....sf way ?
    Fifth time... I know my history. I am addressing the issue of the op. You called them "so called" republicans correct? You seem to support the prov ira. Fair enough. You need to accept that those murderers originated from within your ranks....assuming you do in fact support the prov ira/sinn fein etc.
    Sf justice folks.....and people vote for these fools? West Brits..... Also what is the 6 counties.... I can't find it on a map.!
    No one has ever oppressed me so......
    I could use many many examples of ira brutality but I won't. I live in a democratic republic where all terrorist activity is illegal ty!
    Hence the question mark at the end and the usage of the word "assume "
    Why do I have to??? They are part of a separate country and I do not have to share they're viewpoint. I understand it.
    Different views that's all , this is a discussion not a debate BTW. And resorting to personal abuse does you no favours ...and for the record I mainly posted about my perception from an Irish catholic living in the republic. If your inferring I am trolling by all means contact a mod, I stand Over my posts. Once again to be Irish /catholic and non pro sinn fein seems to make one a troll in many posters eyes.
    Helpful I thought ...?

• Advertisement

Posting frequently is not against charter.
    If you object to my posts please do what you feel necessary.
    I refuse to derail the thread by responding in kind on thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ive been drinking in pubs all over south county dublin for years and I have never seen an phoblacht for sale.

Apart from newsagents which stock it, it's mainly sold in pubs in area's where there's an active Sinn Fein Cumann. I've seen it being sold quite regularly in pub's around west Dublin, but that was a few years back. Probably not as noticeable now as it has changed since then from a weekly to a monthly edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Omagh chuck.... Omagh.

The PIRA didn't carry out omagh. Try again.
    Looking back, the British people were amazingly tolerent..

Not blaming one person for what another person from their (rather loose) 'ethnicity' does isn't 'amazing tolerance' by the way - its the sensible position. Though given your attitude to things, its not suprising you're taken aback at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

All the hard kids in my school used to write "IRA" on their schoolbags. Either that or "Iron Maiden".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Right so, apart from the usual bitching about shinners on these threads get here's the general gist.

Don't confuse support for the IRA with sympathy, and don't confuse people voting for sinn fein with either. The provos got a great deal of support in the republic when the north erupted and there was still amount of surprising sympathy for the Provo's right through to the nineties, especially in certain areas. That's why Irish politicians kept throwing the phrase "fellow traveler" around throughout that period.

Initial support for the provos was fairly high in the early seventies, mainly because people felt they were justified in what they did. blowing up lots of civilians did them no favours but in general there was still a surprising amount of sympathy for republicans across the republic. As the eighties progressed the climate had changed, the Irish political establishment had set themselves strongly against the IRA, the workers party were using their swing in the media to demonize republicans (although when you're blowing up civilians on a regular basis you're pretty much demonizing yourself) and section 31 came into effect, silencing Sinn Fein. None of that would bothered the IRA if their armed campaign was going anywhere but it was'nt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Cant speak for any other area's but I know from experience they (and by they I mean the IRA, formerly known as the PIRA, not counting any of the current imposters) had great support in the south Armagh, north Louth and Monaghan areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Just saw this on the Limerick Leader website pretty scary that these guys are going around threatening your average Irish person.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/republicans-issue-threat-to-british-army-targets-1-4652249

And before anyone says it, I realize the guys in this news story are not the Provisional's and are dissidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

lcrcboy wrote: »
    And before anyone says it, I realize the guys in this news story are not the Provisional's and are dissidents

Maybe, but I believe the saying "They didn't lick it up off the floor" would be appropriate.

until people stop glorifying the P/C/R/IRA then these twats believe they have a credible reason to extort money from drug dealers exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

orestes wrote: »
    I'm from Tallaght, you occasionally see guys in the pub trying to look hard by saying they are in the 'ra, while little old men just sit sipping their pints and watching them quietly. Eventually one of the little old men goes over and says a quiet word in his ear and the hard man goes white and shuts the fukk up.

What did he say? :eek: Don't end this cliff hanger of a story like that! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it was a good tip for the 2:30 at Leopardstown and to give the writer 50% of the winnings

it was a good tip for the 2:30 at Leopardstown and to give the writer 50% of the winnings

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/avatars.boards.ie/avatar83143_9.gif

Would have been fairly popular in Ballinamore and north Leitrim, even to this day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Jesus Ive opened a right can of worms starting this thread havnt I

Better be careful or joe.ie will start an article on it

sfwcork wrote: »

Better be careful or joe.ie will start an article on it

Meh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'I seen you in the jacks with the blonde fellah'

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    'I seen you in the jacks with the blonde fellah'

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

kilograms wrote: »
    The 70s and 80s especially, they got huge support because the catholics of NI were been treated very badly.
    I heard after a month or so from the beginning they became a real pain in the hole for the people who had to live near them...ie once they got going they became assholes with guns..pushing their weight around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They are still big in Japan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Don't blame yourself, I mean who could have seen it coming..... :rolleyes:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

All the hard kids in my school used to write "IRA" on their schoolbags. Either that or "Iron Maiden".
    Did you know pro=British areas were bigger fans of Queen?

(I'm so sorry)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

wrote:
    kfallon

Don't blame yourself, I mean who could have seen it coming

True that sh!t.Great that your so understanding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Have been in most /well plenty of pubs in Galway city and never saw it

Would not claim to be in most pubs in Dublin but a fair few and never saw a seller

You couldn't go out on a Friday night in a midlands town without seeing a seller

I thought it was gone

This be Athlone?, around Church Street? One or more sellers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Would have been fairly popular in Ballinamore and north Leitrim, even to this day.

Funny with Leitrim, Michael Collins always thought Leitrim was a dangerous Unionist hot bed

On a second point, what backgrounds were the people who joined forces and burn down the Dublin British Embassy in the 1970's?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

I heard after a month or so from the beginning they became a real pain in the hole for the people who had to live near them...ie once they got going they became assholes with guns..pushing their weight around

I would well believe that, have you seen my other comment about my friend in Dundalk on page 2 of this thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

http://http://www.singledudetravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/hipsters11.jpg

The IRA are so passe. We loiked them before they were popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

I have a bit on this, North Mayo was active as was Achill and Newport,mainly logistical support. An phoblacht was sold in Castlebar. A fair few ex POW settled in the Mayo region. Rural and away from it all.

Personally I was at a few hunger striker memorials in West Belfast, always treated very well and thanked for support offered.

In later years when my active ideals had waned a bit I was in Omagh at the blue grass festival in the folk museum, I was fairly hippy now that was a protestant festival. We were not made welcome at all.

I do remember been on the lash in Omagh and how the soul had been ripped out of the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I always wondered this.My neighbour who was orignally from the north told me before he was a member.I never knew to believe him or not.
    Sounds like the usual "I'm gangsta, so don't make any noise, or I'll blast ya" type of bullsh|t.

If he says it again, ask him what county and unit. If he tells you both of these, he's lying.

Advertisement