Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems adding a new light fixture

Options
  • 06-01-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

An unusual problem that I can't seem to figure out.
    Standard enough lighting circuit, I moved where the light switch was.
    As I was at it, I though I'd add another light fitting, next to the switch, as it's closest.
    The change was from top circuit to the bottom circuit
    circuit.png

Problem is, I can't get the new light fixture to light.
    The original light fixture works.
    In the picture, the original wires are coming from the top, the switch is going left, and the new light fixture going down.
    20130106_160220.jpg

I've tried swapping the bulbs
    I've swapped the new light fixture for an existing one. That is not the problem.

I even took the original light switch out of circuit, and just hooked up the new light fixture to the original circuit.
    20130106_154258.jpg
    I thought it might be a cabling issue. Not sure how, but redid the 3 foot of cable. No change.
    The circuit is dependant on the light fixture. In the last picture, removing the bulb from the new fixture disconnects the circuit and the main bedroom light goes out.
    I don't understand how the circuit can be dependant on the bulb, and yet not light it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

The light fitting appear to be connected in series, that could be why when you remove the bulb of the new fitting the existing light goes out.
    Can you give more detail on the new fitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

tagoona wrote: »
    I don't understand how the circuit can be dependant on the bulb, and yet not light it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

That maybe could possibly happen if the bedroom bulb is a cfl and the one you remove that knocks it off, is a standard bulb, with both of them now in series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

If you don't understand even a lighting circuit, get an Electrician.....before you burn your house down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

firstly you dont have a netural in that joint box because it is a replacment or extension of a switch (3 browns)
    second you have the bulb connected in series with the main light should be in parrallel

on your cct diagram what you have marked as neturals are called switch wires

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Thanks for taking the time all.
    The light is connected in series at the moment.
    Don't have a second joint box at the moment and wanted didn't want to leave any wires hanging.

Thanks for taking the time doom. I think I can understand a basic circuit, though, as you said, I'm not an electrician. Does that mean only plumbers should install taps.

I think robbie might be on to something. The main bedroom bulb is a CFL.
    I'll replace that tomorrow and give it a go.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Does that mean only plumbers should install taps.

You have to ask yourself what are the consequences of the tap leaking compared to the consequences of the wiring of the light fitting causing a problem.

This reminds me of another post I made today.

No offence intended OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

2011 wrote: »

You have to ask yourself what are the consequences of the tap leaking compared to the consequences of the wiring of the light fitting causing a problem.

This reminds me of another post I made today.

No offence intended OP.

On re-reading, my comment could have come out wrong. I didn't mean it that way especially after coming on here looking for free advice.
    Next stop was abandoning the new fixture or a call to an electrician.
    I can understand how the default answer should be consult a professional.
    However we are talking a simple circuit extension. Anything more complicated gets the propper people involved.
    Again thanks for the input.
    Btw why would the cfl cause this problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Btw why would the cfl cause this problem

The cfl is not causing the problem, incorrect wiring that has the 2 bulbs in series is.

But if one is an incandescent, and the other a cfl, the incandescent is a lot lower resistance/impedance than the cfl, which while off is like an open circuit more or less.

An incandescent is also a lot lower resistance with its filament cold, probably 10 times lower than when lit, and so can act like a thin wire supplying the cfl. The result is, with both bulbs in series, the cfl gets most of the 230v and lights, while the incandescent doesnt carry enough current in supplying the cfl its in series with, to light.

Advertisement