Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted Windows boot choices

Options
  • 06-01-2013 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there.

I recently got a SSD and moved Windows 7 over from my old HDD. There were some cockups, in no small part thanks to Norton Ghost totally failing to do what it claimed it could do, but I'm finally booting from my lovely fast SSD.

There's one problem though, probably thanks to the aforementioned cockups: When I switch the machine on, just after the splash screen for the pre-boot options, I'm faced with three boot choices, Windows 7 (which doesn't work), and two "Generic Windows/NT/Vista/7" options, one of which doesn't work.

Any idea how I'd go about eliminating that part of the startup? It's a minor thing really, but it does mean I can't switch it on and potter about elsewhere in the room for a few seconds or it'll try one of the non-functional options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Run bcdedit /enum from a command prompt

bcdedit /delete (name of one you DON'T want)
    > pick the wrong one and you'll be looking for the install DVD...

or something like :

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
    > ( free )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Blimey, that was quick and easy. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

BiCAI.png
    You can do this in a few ways, see the attached.

Backup your boot.ini file, usually on the C:\ or whatever your boot drive is.

If you choose the wrong one restore your boot.ini via Mint and try again. No neeed to re-install.

Advertisement