Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Thin Pizza base

Options
  • 07-01-2013 12:24am
    Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭

I really hate thick doughy bases, but if I had a thin base, I would be fine. Thus far its hit and miss on the base. Simple recipe please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

I use this one modified with a little wholemeal flour. Try and use a pizza stone if you can.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

My recipe is:

3-1/2 cups of white flour (strong is the best, but I've used them all depending what I have available). If you want a whole wheat base use 3 cups white and 1/2 cup of whole wheat.

Then In a large pint glass or a larger glass or container add 1/2 cup of cold tap water and 1/2 cup of boiling water straight from the kettle. Mix in 1 teaspoon of sugar and one packet of yeast and mix well. Let the water yeats mix stand for about 10-15 minutes until it starts to foam up and then pour it in with the flour and mix well. Meanwhile pre-heat oven for the 10 minutes.

Then turn off oven and put your mix in a hot oven with the bowl covered with a damp cloth.

After about 40 minutes add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, knead mixture and put back in oven and re-wet the damp towel and cover and put back in oven for another 30 minutes. Then add another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and knead well on a flowered surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I find it very hard to get a really thin base throwing the dough by hand. Don't be afraid to use a rolling pin.

If you have a pizza stone, pre-heat it for 20-30 minutes, take the stone out of the oven, dust with semolina, lay the base on it and begin topping, the base will cook from the bottom up while you work on the toppings.

Runny tomato sauce and wet mozzarella add a lot of moisture, try to pat dry the mozzarella before you put it on the pizza and use a thicker sauce, spread it thinly in the centre of the pizza.

Strong flour or 00 flour should stretch better without tearing, allowing for a thinner base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Resting time of the dough is important also. This can really help make it more pliable

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Bread makers are excellent for kneading and rising the dough. Also the help cut down on mess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Catmologen wrote: »
    Bread makers are excellent for kneading and rising the dough. Also the help cut down on mess!

Would the above recipes work with a Breadmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

andym1 wrote: »
    I really hate thick doughy bases, but if I had a thin base, I would be fine. Thus far its hit and miss on the base. Simple recipe please

We just discovered using tortilla as a pizza base. They are thin, low carb and work great. Give it a try !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We just discovered using tortilla as a pizza base. They are thin, low carb and work great. Give it a try !!

Tortillias are primarily carbs. They are made from flour.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Tortillias are primarily carbs. They are made from flour.
    Yeah, but they're thin, so they're made of a lot less flour than a normal pizza crust. :)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yeah, but they're thin, so they're made of a lot less flour than a normal pizza crust. :)

Well by that reckoning, half a tortilla would be even lower carb!
    Or how about a no carb pizza? It has no base at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Would wraps be the same.

Hootanany wrote: »

Would wraps be the same.
    Yes, same thing.
    For some reason about 15 years ago tortillas became wraps. Annoyed the sh1te out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Any suggestions for pizza bases without the sugar?

Advertisement