Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past shops in Ballyfermot.

Options
  • 07-01-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Was on the Ballyfermot Road recently and was thinking about shops that use to be there.

Anybody remember the music shop that use to be up beside Borza and Phylisis shop, Video Vault in Claddagh Green and heatons were Molloys is now.

Feel free to share your own

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Morans aka Dirty Aggies. why it was called dirty aggies i dont know, but i was a bit scared of the auld lady herself. she was very gruff, but maybe it only seemed like that to a young kid.

Phyliss shop had a son in my school and when there was a gaa match her son was playing in she brought down a load of fruit for the athletes. free fruit. that was memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

where was Morans? i'm 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

kilograms wrote: »
    where was Morans? i'm 29.

i think it was next door to downeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

emo72 wrote: »
    i think it was next door to downeys.

It then became the EBS,forget whats there now :o

Re dirty aggies remember it well big gruff of a woman who snarled at ya,rumour has it her son hung himself there,if could not make up your mind quickly enough out came the broom.Plowmans shop way down Ballyfermot road,near where the old lawrenc pub was,Also there was a shop called 7 days on lefanu/kylemore ave x road,thinks its an IT centre now and just up from it going towards railway bridge there was kavanaghs shop,Where the spar shop on Ballyfermot road is I am sure that was called seame street and not forgetting paynes butchers,they emergrated to crumlin village ;-)

Hope its ok to post this link,
    http://www.oldballyfermot.com/ here is a link to old photos of Ballyer,its great for me anyway looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I remember going to Gubays with my nanny, it was like visiting a different planet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I remember going to a shop that I think was called pennys with my nanny when I visited her, place was full of saw dust. Im pretty sure its not there anymore.

Angelas Rashers - from what I remember it was quite nice.
    There were also shops at claddagh green where the apartments are now.

claddagh-Green-1988.jpg

Was there a Quinnsworth where Molloys is now? I seem to remember it was a Quinnsworth, then Heatons moved in.

I also remember a chipper called The Lido where Lams is now. It went on fire once and was rebuilt. And Paynes supermarket where Kavanagh's is now. My brother worked there in the late 90s.

Others that come to mind were Carrolls, behind where Iceland is now. Reads, beside the BOI, and News Express used to be called Newsbeat. Sesame Street where Spar is now (in the early 90s the signage actually had Sesame Street characters on it).

I also remember Collie operating from a van on Kylemore Road. I didn't know his last name but a quick Google says Collie O'Halloran. What I remember of him was he was a really nice guy.
    realies wrote: »
    Re dirty aggies remember it well big gruff of a woman who snarled at ya,rumour has it her son hung himself there,if could not make up your mind quickly enough out came the broom.Plowmans shop way down Ballyfermot road,near where the old lawrenc pub was,Also there was a shop called 7 days on lefanu/kylemore ave x road,thinks its an IT centre now and just up from it going towards railway bridge there was kavanaghs shop,Where the spar shop on Ballyfermot road is I am sure that was called seame street and not forgetting paynes butchers,they emergrated to crumlin village ;-)

My dad had a story about her, he said that the owner of Downey's once made an offer to her for the shop so he could expand. Her answer was "how much for yer pub?" She wasn't going anywhere.

I remember 7 days, im sure there use to be a hatch there at night. I also remember sesame street haha, fogot that shop ever existed.

Claddagh Green is my local shops and the old sweet shop fayes made a fortune from me over the years. Marios chipper was next door, dont ever remember anybody been in that chipper.

Video Vault on claddagh green.

I remember Quinnsworth was where Tesco is now, it was also called Crazyprices

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

I remember 7 days, im sure there use to be a hatch there at night. I also remember sesame street haha, fogot that shop ever existed.

Claddagh Green is my local shops and the old sweet shop fayes made a fortune from me over the years. Marios chipper was next door, dont ever remember anybody been in that chipper.

Video Vault on claddagh green.

I remember Quinnsworth was where Tesco is now, it was also called Crazyprices

I worked in marios for a year or so he was as mad as a brush.

wush06 wrote: »
    I worked in marios for a year or so he was as mad as a brush.
    Really, what year. and yes he was mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Really, what year. and yes he was mad

Wow 20+ years or so just lived on claddagh road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Winstons
    The Elephant Market
    Newsbeat
    Sesame Street
    3-Guys
    Patsy Potts Shoes
    RTV TV Rentals
    All on Ballyfermot road.

And Collie's van on Kylemore - we used to think he was Rolf Harris's dad.
    Christmas wasn't Christmas until Collie delivered the 12 bottles of soft drink, red lemonade, american cream soda and raspberryaid.

Must also mention that my Dad had a photographic studio on Ballyfermot Road, chances are that he took your school photo
    if you went to the deeler.

I can barely remember RTV alright. Trying to place where it was though. I know there was a branch of First National beside Sesame Street, something's telling me it was there but I'm probably wrong.

Karsini wrote: »
    I can barely remember RTV alright. Trying to place where it was though. I know there was a branch of First National beside Sesame Street, something's telling me it was there but I'm probably wrong.

Yep - it was beside Sesame Street.
    What was the fruit and veg shop called? Kelly's?

stoneill wrote: »
    Yep - it was beside Sesame Street.
    What was the fruit and veg shop called? Kelly's?

Doyles? It's still there too.

That's right - Kelly's owned Newsbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

That's right - Kelly's owned Newsbeat.

Great memories, as far as i recall it was Newsbeat before it was bought by one of the paper kellys.

I remember the photographic studio on Ballyfermot rd,It was owned by a man from Kylemore rd,Did all our photos years ago :D

realies wrote: »
    Great memories, as far as i recall it was Newsbeat before it was bought by one of the paper kellys.

I remember the photographic studio on Ballyfermot rd,It was owned by a man from Kylemore rd,Did all our photos years ago :D

Terry O'Neill studios - my Dad - died March 2007.
    We found some old albums that he did, there was one dated 1973, either uncollected or more likely unpaid for. Anyway we posted a few photo's from the album online to see if anyone recognised the people.
    The album was then claimed by the couple who's wedding it was 34 years later.

They still didn't pay

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

I remember Marios and the video shop. There was also a hardware shop on claddagh green. Dunkin donuts, and wonder burger were also on the main road. There was an abrakebabra in the Le fanu shops. I also remember when Molly's was quinnsworth and heatons. Patsy Potts shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

Oh yeah, I remember buying cassettes in the music shop up beside borza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lotta memories, actually know the owners of sesame street (I worked there a few years later when it was Centra).

Remember helpin my ma with the shopping in Crazy Prices haha.

And Angelas Rashers? Jaysus never ate in there after a few lads in my class got sick cos of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

I worked in that quinnsworth (the one on the roundabout) as a teenager. Occasionally sent to the other two quinnsworths to help out as required. A long time ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When Bolands used to do everything

When Bolands used to do everything

Yep - you could get a haircut, buy a garden spade and quarter pound of humbugs all in one shop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yep - you could get a haircut, buy a garden spade and quarter pound of humbugs all in one shop.
    and get your shoes done , collect your pension and get coal delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

next door to bolands where the flower shop is was herlihys shop, liptons was the first shop where masseys is now afterwards the cleaners then the washeteria , where molloys is now right back to the lane at the chipper at tim younges was the ritz ballroom ,hambrogues was next door to younges, the snooker hall upstairs where the far east is, cleggs shoes was where the credit union is now hardys pub where chasers is was downstairs aswell as upstairs, colgans was on grange cross where the chemist is now and had a vegetable shop next door now a bookies

Advertisement