Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Help Re. Renting Land

• 07-01-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi lads (and girls),
    I've a neighbour using a field for grazing sheep at the moment. Farming is all new to me, I am doing my own thing re. the farm, but I don't need this field neccessarily. He's had it for a while and for a number of reasons, we've only got around to discussing the price lately. There's around 7/8 acres there. It's dry, no reeds and he has roadside access to it. It's only up the road from his own place so no hardship in his using it.
    I've done a bit of research and was of the belief that 100 euro per acre was the going rate for such land. He offered me a little more than half this. When I mentioned my figure he nearly had a stroke and said he'd no notion of paying anything like that. Even when I said we'd split the difference, he wouldn't budge... I told him I'd have to check it out but I think he's trying to take advantage of me.

Any advice or info will be welcome. I don't want to fall out with him, but I'm not prepared to be made a fool of either. I will be able to rent it to someone else no bother.

MiseO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

You would get a better answer if you stated the county, condition of land, what the neighbours are farming etc as It can vary a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

MiseO wrote: »
    Hi lads (and girls),
    Any advice or info will be welcome. I don't want to fall out with him, but I'm not prepared to be made a fool of either. I will be able to rent it to someone else no bother.
    MiseO

There’s a recession on, if you can get substantial more then do so. You’ll only get what it’s worth, if someone is willing to pay what you want then that’s what it’s worth. You might want to think about (say) a 5 year contract linked to inflation. A steady rent income is better than one good year then nothing if the new renter moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

If you're not using the field then the sheep are helping to keep the grass/weeds etc under control. Plus they'll be dropping lovely manure all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I've got 5 acres, and we have got rid of our animals a couple of years ago, we've just got 2 donkeys now. I'm glad to let a neighbour use the fields for sheep in the winter and his cows in the summer, and to take silage off it. He spreads his slurry and fertilises the land, I won't take any money, as I'm far more concerned about having the land well looked after. he does give me a trailer of turf for winter every year and old trees that have come down.

I reckon I've got a good bargain, and a good neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

8 acres you want 800euro a year, he was givin you 500euro .300 euro wouldnt make or break any man. hardly worth the hassle of an argument.

• Advertisement
Advertisement