Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing with people older than you

Options
  • 07-01-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some opinions here.
    I found a house im interested in living in but im 21 and the girl who owns the house and lives there is 35. Theres also a guy of a similar age there.
    Just wondering if anyone has experiences of this and should I let it put me off or not. My main requirement is to be close to where I will be working which it is, its just this one issue im not sure of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't go near it. She's way 2 old to live with it and could turn into a complete wagon as she own't the place, your in a completely different place, try and get a crew closer your age and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Problem is theres not a whole lot of choice in the area (Clonmel).
    There was a house that said "young professionals" but theres a halting site across the road which I would have to walk past going to/from work and that put me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

How much of a commitment do you have to give ? Try and if it doesn't work out then move ? Not living with people of same age means you go to their places more which can also have its benefits

RoryW wrote: »
    How much of a commitment do you have to give ? Try and if it doesn't work out then move ? Not living with people of same age means you go to their places more which can also have its benefits
    Should have said its only for 6 months. Im doing a work placement as part of my degree

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Don't go near it. She's way 2 old to live with it and could turn into a complete wagon as she own't the place, your in a completely different place, try and get a crew closer your age and have fun.

She is 35!!!! Hardly an old dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

repsol wrote: »
    She is 35!!!! Hardly an old dear.

She is if your 21.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

If she's a horny milf looking for some young meat, take it

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

She is if your 21.

Is she a) good looking
    b) "chancey"
    c) prone to wandering around the house in various stages of undress

If you answered yes to any any of the above,it might be worth giving her the benefit of the doubt:D

She is if your 21.
    Thinking about it that way parents are 45 so she kind of is!
    areyawell wrote: »
    we haven't met yet but no chance at all:). No to be honest I think I wont actually be doing much more than sleeping there. By the time I go to the gym, make my dinner and all that theres not going to be alot of time left in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Just looking for some opinions here.
    I found a house im interested in living in but im 21 and the girl who owns the house and lives there is 35. Theres also a guy of a similar age there.
    Just wondering if anyone has experiences of this and should I let it put me off or not. My main requirement is to be close to where I will be working which it is, its just this one issue im not sure of.

From personal experience OP I'd stay clear of owner occupied rentals. There's just an uncomfortable feeling in these types of rentals that you can't shake off, kind of like feeling restricted as to the freedom you have within the house. As for her age, that shouldn't be of any relevance in your search for a place. I once house shared with a woman who was in her 50s and she was great craic! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Shared with a guy in his thirties when I first moved over. (I was 20ish). Had no issues at all. In fact he was much more badly behaved that I ever would be. Place was nice and clean and he was a very considerate Landlord - much more so than sharing with someone of my own age at the time - which I did a couple of years later and lived to regret!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Never lived with anyone that old but I wouldn't mind hooking up with a gamey cougar:p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

areyawell wrote: »
    repsol wrote: »
    Is she a) good looking
    b) "chancey"
    c) prone to wandering around the house in various stages of undress

If you answered yes to any any of the above,it might be worth giving her the benefit of the doubt:D
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Never lived with anyone that old but I wouldn't mind hooking up with a gamey cougar:p
    Constructive posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Do you want a place in which to sleep, eat, watch TV, use your PC, read books, etc.? Or do you want a place where you can party, entertain friends, and if you pull, have uninhibited sex all night long?

If it's dominantly the first, the owner's age is not much of an issue. If it's dominantly the second, it might be.

I'd give much more weight to what you think she is like when you meet her than I would give to her birth certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I had two rules back when I did houseshares and was looking at prospective houses:
    1. No couples
    2. No owner-occupiers
    Reason: they wreck your head basically.

The age thing wouldn't really be an issue. You can have "old geezers" who are a bit of craic and "young fogies" who would suck the life out of the Berlin Love parade. Make your judgement on what you thought of the people themselves.

Don't think I'm going for it now but I met her during the week and she was a very nice woman and I liked the house. I would be happy to live there only something better has come up.
    Having said that went to see another owner occupied place, a late 30s single guy which I thought would be the perfect place, good price, location etc. The guy was a total clean freak and I mean OCD style so there's no way we could have gotten on together. And to be honest, that's put me off owner occupies for good!

Advertisement