Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the most overrated players of all time?

• 07-01-2013 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Are there any players who perplex you as regards the sort of careers they had or the sums they were sold for, for instance;

Trevor Brooking - according to Brian Clough '' floats like a butterfly and stings like one ''

Charlie Nicholas - figuratively speaking, he scored about 50 goals in one year for Celtic, then scored about 40 goals in 6 years after decamping to Arsenal, never could figure out why the Arsenal fans used to regard him as some sort of legend.

Gary Breen - always looked like Bambi on ice to me.

Ashley Ward - check out his combined transfer fees

Nathan Blake - same as Ashley Ward

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Rio Ferdinand, Evra, Nasri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

hefferboi wrote: »

LOL, LOL, LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Nasri a good point, never seen him dominate a game for 90 minutes, likewise with Joey Barton

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IBTL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Nasri has time yet, Rio was a half decent defender in his day, but his day is long long over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Emile heskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Cantona.

/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

DAVID BECKHAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

People used to talk about Darren Anderton in the mid 90's as if he was as good as today's Gareth Bale, again never saw it

tvercetti wrote: »
    LOL, LOL, LOL

Any opinion yourself no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Steve Mcnanaman (is that how you spell it? ) whatever

In all honesty there are too many to list and its pretty subjective

Any opinion yourself no?

I am of the opinion that your post is 2/3 bull****

Rio was one of the best in the world
    Evra was one of the best in the world
    Nasri, Im with you there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

This thread is already going in the usual way. People are only nominating rival clubs players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Evra and Rio were class!

Joe Cole was overrated before being found out at Liverpool.

Hulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rio had a long period where he was one of the elite defenders in the world, top 3-5 easily. Evra had about a 2-3 year period where he was one of the best left backs around. They're both past their best now but still contribute a lot to United.

Nasri? Flashes of something every 3 months or so, hardly deserves to rated as over-rated (if that makes sense...).

Edit: Agree with Hulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Pele has to be the most overated player of all time imo

Its a brave statement to make i know and not many will agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Rio is a smashing defender on his day, has been for the best part Of a decade, if he's overrated, it's not by much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Henderson
    Andy Carroll
    Fabio Borini
    Joe Allen
    Daniel Sturridge
    Glen Johnson
    Stewart Downing
    Pepe Reina
    Joe Cole
    Some absolute waste of money for the price that were paid for them. Its not a dig at Liverpool but come on, how clueless have your last two managers for paying over the odds for average players. Ye need someone like Redknapp to take ye forward not another donkey like Rodgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

areyawell wrote: »
    Henderson
    Andy Carroll
    Fabio Borini
    Joe Allen
    Daniel Sturridge
    Glen Johnson
    Stewart Downing
    Pepe Reina
    Joe Cole
    Some absolute waste of money for the price that were paid for them. Its not a dig at Liverpool but come on, how clueless have your last two managers for paying over the odds for average players. Ye need someone like Redknapp to take ye forward not another donkey like Rodgers!
    :D

To be fair, I'm struggling to think of many players who are grossly overrated by anyone outside of their own fanbase and/or 'neutral' pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Was going to say Steve McManaman. Never really did it after Liverpool. Some good games here and there for Madrid but couldn't cement a place. Was never a threat at City and retired fairly young. Poor man's Ryan Giggs.

I'd also suggest Luis Figo. He was a very good player but his goalscoring record was relatively poor considering the position he played in and the clubs he played for, he had no pace and I never really saw why he was worth the huge sum Madrid paid for him. Like I said, very good player but not in the same league as some of the players whose level he was apparently at.

Ferdinand and Evra have achieved a level of excellence on a consistent basis that most players could only wish for. They are both winding down their careers now but at their peak they were immense.

Henderson
    Andy Carroll
    Fabio Borini
    Joe Allen
    Daniel Sturridge
    Glen Johnson
    Stewart Downing
    Pepe Reina
    Joe Cole

The best bit was where you said that wasn't a dig at Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Oh, this must be the thread where we get to find out who actually watches football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Was going to say Steve McManaman. Never really did it after Liverpool. Some good games here and there for Madrid but couldn't cement a place. Was never a threat at City and retired fairly young. Poor man's Ryan Giggs.

I'd also suggest Luis Figo. He was a very good player but his goalscoring record was relatively poor considering the position he played in and the clubs he played for, he had no pace and I never really saw why he was worth the huge sum Madrid paid for him. Like I said, very good player but not in the same league as some of the players whose level he was apparently at.

Ferdinand and Evra have achieved a level of excellence on a consistent basis that most players could only wish for. They are both winding down their careers now but at their peak they were immense.

Luis Figo????

You sir, are a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Gaizka Mendieta

I am pie wrote: »
    Luis Figo????

You sir, are a fool.

Cheers bro. Anything else to add, or is it just insults?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I am pie wrote: »
    Luis Figo????

You sir, are a fool.

Pires had no pace either, suppose he was overrated as well?

Pires had no pace either, suppose he was overrated as well?

Yeah, because that's what my point boiled down to. I saw quite a bit of Figo when he was playing and always felt that while he was a good player, he wasn't one of the best in the world at the time. The general consensus at the time was that he was. For this reason, I feel he was overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Daniele de Rossi. Would have cost more than Javi Garcia and performed absolutely no better. Held up as one of the finest midfield players in Europe. He ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

dd972 wrote: »
    likewise with Joey Barton

Did anybody ever he claim he did? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wayne Rooney
    If he was any other nationality, there would be nothing about him.

Invincible wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney

Disagree with that, regardless of where he was from he would be recognised as a top player.

Did the English go overboard? Course they did, its what they do, Jack Wilshire is as good as Messi dont you know, so is Gareth Bale

Daniele de Rossi. Would have cost more than Javi Garcia and performed absolutely no better. Held up as one of the finest midfield players in Europe. He ain't.

Eh he is, do you watch him play much? Not going on that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

justshane wrote: »
    Eh he is, do you watch him play much? Not going on that post.

I've been watching Serie A for the last three seasons. He's not been all that for Roma either in that time. He was half-decent for Italy at the European Championships. That's what he is. Half-decent. Can be effective on his day. I think people go overboard about him. Would have Marchisio in a heartbeat ahead of him and that's just in Italy's midfield.

I disagree but that's your opinion. I'll admit I don't get to take in as much Serie A as i would like but any game in which I've seen him play(including the euros) he has been top class. Also i rate Marchisio very highly too.

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney

He's a top player and tbf even United fans don't overrate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu

Was he rated though? Apart from when he was about 13 of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rio had a long period where he was one of the elite defenders in the world, top 3-5 easily. Evra had about a 2-3 year period where he was one of the best left backs around. They're both past their best now but still contribute a lot to United.

Nasri? Flashes of something every 3 months or so, hardly deserves to rated as over-rated (if that makes sense...).

Edit: Agree with Hulk.
    You see here we go with overrated. Can you tell me what period was that?

Where were Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Puyol, Lucio, Terry and Carvalho during this long period?

You'll notice I left out Vidic because he didn't become known about until around 2006 but you can add him if you are talking about from that time onwards which is no accident because Vidic made him look a lot better than he ever really was.

There are plenty of others too who I could add into that list except they retired or became established during Rio's career. Players like Ayala, Hyypia and Vidic are examples.

• Advertisement

Rio was better then Terry

Carvalho made Terry look better then he ever was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

David Luiz.

Also, at his peak, Rio was better then Maldini, Cannavaro, Puyol etc etc etc in the same time period, we may have differing opinions on when his peak was, but there you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pele, bit of a song and dance over the lad.

Pele has come up a few times, how many people here were watching games when Pele was alive, and enough of his games to make any sort of judgement at all on him in fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Rio was under-rated if this thread is anything to go by.

Cantona

Gerrard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Cantona and Gerrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Cantona, Gerrard, Terry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement