Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the most overrated players of all time?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cantona, Gerrard, Terry and Cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Peter Schmeichel

Peter Schmeichel

A. You didnt do it right
    B. Thats just stupid. Like really really stupid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Makelele
    Zidane
    Charlton
    Best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

kryogen wrote: »
    Also, at his peak, Rio was better then Maldini, Cannavaro, Puyol etc etc etc in the same time period, we may have differing opinions on when his peak was, but there you go

:|

Makelele
    Zidane
    Charlton
    Best

hmmmmm

oh I see what your doing

Wayne Rooney. Overrated to quite a degree throughout his career. Never as good as the very best players on the planet.

Joe Hart. Another creation of the British media.

And now a more controversial one. Paul Scholes. Now before I'm attacked I'm not saying that he wasn't a great player, he was. However the way the media go on about him you would think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'd have both Xavi and Pirlo over Scholes in his prime any day. A great player for Man Utd but not as great a player as the media would have you believe.

Xavi would have Scholes ahead of himself funnily

Xavi is also an incredibly gracious and humble person. A trait that really does go a long way and, IMO, helps to make him the greatest midfielder of his generation and, arguably, the greatest midfielder the world has ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

hmmmmm

oh I see what your doing

Which ones there are not overrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Xavi is also an incredibly gracious and humble person. A trait that really does go a long way and, IMO, helps to make him the greatest midfielder of his generation and, arguably, the greatest midfielder the world has ever seen.

Also quite funny because I think you would struggle to find a footballer more humble and gracious than Scholes.

But do continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Someone's on a mission to single handidly get this thread locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Zidane - Obviously a great player possibly in the Top 10 but I don't believe he should be near the very top of the all-time greats, personally his career is dominated by what he achieved at international level not club level with the exception of his 2002 CL winning goal.
    Zola - Not for what he did with Parma but at Chelsea, had a great first and last seasons there but in between was fairly anonymous.
    Makelele - Just don't get it, I understand his uses as a player but can't see the point of him.
    Ginola - Could probably name 20 spurs players on this list. His winning of PFA player of the year in 1999 ahead of Roy Keane or Dwight Yorke proved to me that these awards are a joke.

-Also, somebody picked Luis Figo, must have been a windup, in my opinion one of the most underrated players in history.

Also quite funny because I think you would struggle to find a footballer more humble and gracious than Scholes.

But do continue.

I'm not saying Xavi is the best midfielder of his generation based on humbleness. I am saying that he is humble and gracious. As in, when asked about Scholes he was hardly likely to do an "I am Zlatan" style reply.

The La Masia product has been at the hub of, arguably, the greatest club team ever, Barcelona, and, arguably, the greatest national team ever, Spain. He is the very representation of tiki taka, no player has ever dominated games as routinely as Xavi. When was the last time a team Xavi played in didn't have the majority of possession? And of course he has the silverware to back it up. The man has been a driving force in changing football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I'm not saying Xavi is the best midfielder of his generation based on humbleness. I am saying that he is humble and gracious. As in, when asked about Scholes he was hardly likely to do an "I am Zlatan" style reply.

The La Masia product has been at the hub of, arguably, the greatest club team ever, Barcelona, and, arguably, the greatest national team ever, Spain. He is the very representation of tiki taka, no player has ever dominated games as routinely as Xavi. When was the last time a team Xavi played in didn't have the majority of possession? And of course he has the silverware to back it up. The man has been a driving force in changing football.

I would then argue that Scholes humble and gracious nature, perhaps the most notably humble player in the entire game (didn't even have an agent) - has caused him to be overlooked quite often. I would then argue that Xavi, while an incredible player, has benefited from his teams approach to the game. The most possession based approach to football we have ever seen. Paul Scholes has never played in a team with an approach like Barca or Spain. If he had then he would have been even more lauded.

As Xavi himself said: "Paul Scholes is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.
    I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him." - So if he is the role model of the man you claim to have been the driving force in changing football then surely he is one of the driving forces for this change in football?

How you claim that Scholes is overrated is staggering. Especially considering just how under-rated he was.

However his own peers have never failed to recognise his talent. Just a tiny, tiny few of the many famous quotes about him for your entertainment:

-“The best? Without any doubt it has to be Paul Scholes. He knows how to do everything, and he is the one who directs the way his team plays. On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength.” – Thierry Henry

-“My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation.” – Zinedine Zidane

-“Every one of us is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes. I’m not the best, Paul
    Scholes is.” – Edgar Davids

• Advertisement

I would then argue that Scholes humble and gracious nature, perhaps the most notably humble player in the entire game (didn't even have an agent) - has caused him to be overlooked quite often. I would then argue that Xavi, while an incredible player, has benefited from his teams approach to the game. The most possession based approach to football we have ever seen. Paul Scholes has never played in a team with an approach like Barca or Spain. If he had then he would have been even more lauded.

As Xavi himself said: "Paul Scholes is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.
    I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him." - So if he is the role model of the man you claim to have been the driving force in changing football then surely he is one of the driving forces for this change in football?

How you claim that Scholes is overrated is staggering. Especially considering just how under-rated he was.

However his own peers have never failed to recognise his talent. Just a tiny, tiny few of the many famous quotes about him for your entertainment:

-“The best? Without any doubt it has to be Paul Scholes. He knows how to do everything, and he is the one who directs the way his team plays. On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength.” – Thierry Henry

-“My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation.” – Zinedine Zidane

-“Every one of us is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes. I’m not the best, Paul
    Scholes is.” – Edgar Davids

Correct me if I'm wrong (perhaps I am) but do any of those quotes come from before 2009? It's just since then Xavi Hernandez has been the creative force behind 2 Champions League victories (both over Man Utd in the final btw) a few La Liga wins, a World Cup and another European Championship. Not to mention Copa Del Rey's or World Club Championships. The quotes are great and I'm not trying to lessen what Scholes has done but what Xavi and Barcelona as a whole have done to football can't be disputed and to bring about change like that you need special players, Xavi is a very special player.

It's all well and good saying "well if he played for Barcelona he would have done such and such" that's purely speculation and guess work. You judge the players on what they have actually done. Has Xavi benefited from the possession based philosophy? Yes, but it's not copyrighted to Barcelona, any team can try to do it of they wish, they may simply not be good enough to do it do while Xavi has benefitted from the philosophy (and he is a creation of that philosophy) so too the philosophy has benefitted from Xavi. The man took on the unenviable task of filling the boots of the great Pep Guardiola, he went on to better his predecessor.

No, Im sorry, he is an excellent possession midfielder, truly fantastic, but he is not the greatest midfielder the world has ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wayne Rooney. Overrated to quite a degree throughout his career. Never as good as the very best players on the planet.

Agreed. A very good player but when you look at his career, he had to play a backup roll to Ronaldo, had his moment when he left but now has to play as Van Persie's wingman now. Excellent player but he aint up there with the likes of CR7 and RVP.

Agreed. A very good player but when you look at his career, he had to play a backup roll to Ronaldo, had his moment when he left but now has to play as Van Persie's wingman now. Excellent player but he aint up there with the likes of CR7 and RVP.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

have i just woken up in some warped parallel universe?

what has happened this forum in the past 48hrs ?

• Advertisement

No, Im sorry, he is an excellent possession midfielder, truly fantastic, but he is not the greatest midfielder the world has ever seen

Why? The great man is almost 33 with a chronic achillies tendon problem and he still produced magic on a daily basis. His goal last night against Espanyol was brilliance. Why can't he be the greatest midfielder ever? He has been a driving force in changing how football is judged, watched, played and perceived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What is the point of these threads?

You might aswell name it "have a pop at your rivals best players"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pele has to be the most overated player of all time imo

Its a brave statement to make i know and not many will agree

how old are you to be able to make that call?

i can't make any judgment on Pele, as I never saw him play, as is the case for i'd imagine 99% of people on here.

Why? The great man is almost 33 with a chronic achillies tendon problem and he still produced magic on a daily basis. His goal last night against Espanyol was brilliance. Why can't he be the greatest midfielder ever? He has been a driving force in changing how football is judged, watched, played and perceived.

Why can't he be the greatest midfielder ever....

Ok, I assume 1 answer will do you?

He is not good enough defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This thread is full of opinions, some correct, most wrong and in my opinion, this thread has served its purpose, its a chance to troll other fans and players.

Seriously, anyone thinking these threads will end well realy needs to think before starting them.

Locked before it becomes more of car crash and cards are handed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement