Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning progressively colder from Wednesday

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all,

From Wednesday of this week the mild weather will be over and we will see a return of night time frost and ice on wet roads. Whilst not exceptionally cold the difference will be felt by everyone. Daytime temperatures will start to tumble back to normal for the time of year and by Friday should be below average.

Typical temperatures on Wednesday look like ranging 5 or 6c in the north to a balmy 8c in the south of the country.But it is at night time the difference will really take hold. Wednesday night will see the return of frost and ice to the country with temperatures hovering around freezing or a little above. By Thursday night they will be below freezing for most - maybe staying above freezing in western areas. Gentle south or southeast breezes.

Friday and the weekend look damp and cold especially further east and temperatures by day are going to struggle to 3 or 4c above freezing. Under cloud temperatures at night will hold up but only just. The east of the country should see below 0 temperatures.

Sunday looks like being very cold with temperatures maxing maybe 4 or 5c if lucky. Otherwise they could struggle above freezing. It should be generally dry but rain, sleet and snow is a probability in places under cloudy skies as a frontal system straggles the country under increasing pressure from a developing (and increasingly cold) easterly wind.

And this is where it gets tricky. No doubt it will get even colder but it's a question of how much colder? Currently favoured is an easterly wind to develop as a trough sinks south spurred on by an increasingly southern tracking jet stream (note this is getting that bit stronger with each model run). This brings the prospect of wintry showers, perhaps even snow, to the east in particular. But it's not the only outcome. Whatever happens from Wednesday the weather changes to colder more seasonal conditions and the probability is it gets gradually colder from then on with an increasing risk of sleet or snow from the east.

Take care.

Note: Forecast is blend of 00z GFS ensemble mean, 00z UKMO, 12z ECMWF, 00z GEM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

We haven't had one of these in a while :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

We haven't had one of these in a while :P

You are right. We have not had an easterly in quite a while.:cool:

Met Éireann copied my forecast this moning. Copied I tells yeh! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Threads already covering Forecast, short term outlook, medium term outlook, FI and making personal and community preparations for wintry outbreaks. Is this one necessary?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Threads already covering Forecast, short term outlook, medium term outlook, FI and making personal and community preparations for wintry outbreaks. Is this one necessary?

There is always an actual event thread , if this does happen then all the IMBY stuff ends up here and keeps the other threads kinda free from the chit chat ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There is always an actual event thread , if this does happen then all the IMBY stuff ends up here and keeps the other threads kinda free from the chit chat ,

On that topic, will it snow in Douglas in Cork between 1 and 1.15pm on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Morning frost.... This is what we have been reduced to? Damn you Atlantic.

Oarrack Bama, are you the new/old DarkMan :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

For Cork
    I will default to the blanket NO response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'll tell you right now it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Cork snow shields don't stand a chance. Biscay low interacting with frigid easterlies. BOOM!:D

Accepted and fair enough and I enjoy them greatly, but those threads usually have an actual event to hang on at say +48 hrs, but this weekend could still easily end up at 7C with passing light showers in a SSW breeze (not Sudden Strat Warming!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:rolleyes:

235286.png

If im honest though i still think we'd only get a flurry here and there on higher ground unless we get those broad -8's in and a strong breeze to get some convection going!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

:o:D - (not getting excited.......yet....it's tough though!)

leahyl wrote: »
    :o:D - (not getting excited.......yet....it's tough though!)

I've the snow chains, the snow grips and 2KG of salt in the jeep, plus a tow rope, I've opted not to get the snow shovel on medical grounds.

Oh I forgot candles ... there's always something.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

excellent.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gbee wrote: »
    I've the snow chains, the snow grips and 2KG of salt in the jeep, plus a tow rope, I've opted not to get the snow shovel on medical grounds.

Good God :eek: I really hope, for your sake (not just mine!), that we do get snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I don't think it's going to get really cold at all, maybe a few degrees below where we are at present, but overall Bord Gais etc won't be cleaning up :)

Picking up East European traffic on FM. Which means we have a massive ground wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Simple version : It's going to get colder this week. Everything else including how cold, for how long, snow etc. is impossible to predict at this stage.

Entering into a period of high potential. That doesn't mean we will get anything significant. But if we do, it could be the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 midlands paranormal researcher

so ur telling us its going to snow....woohoo i hope

Simple version : It's going to get colder this week. Everything else including how cold, for how long, snow etc. is impossible to predict at this stage.

Entering into a period of high potential. That doesn't mean we will get anything significant. But if we do, it could be the jackpot.

That's an interesting point. After we were spoiled in the 09/10 10/11, what do people now consider the jackpot? Between 87 and 09 it would have consisted of a 2 or 3 days spell of shallow lying snow with no daytime thaw. Now do we need 3 or 4 weeks of penetrating temperatures and lingering snow and ice to satisfy people? I know the snow lovers on the west coast would be happy with the former!

Me, I'd rather a 3/4 day deluge of unprecented snow over the whole country which then kindly f3cks off before the gradual thaw creates the hazards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

its weird, before the big chills of 09 and 10 i was hangin onto every word when it looked like we were headin into a serious cold spell,but now i dont mind so much its like my inner child is content:) but i still cant help gettin a little excited about the next few weeks with all the ssw and easterlys being banded about. if this happened a couple of years ago i would be a jittering mess:D

one good thing is that when we hit the downward slopes on the rollercoaster(and we prob will over the next few days) i dont lose my mind like i used too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That's an interesting point. After we were spoiled in the 09/10 10/11, what do people now consider the jackpot? Between 87 and 09 it would have consisted of a 2 or 3 days spell of shallow lying snow with no daytime thaw. Now do we need 3 or 4 weeks of penetrating temperatures and lingering snow and ice to satisfy people? I know the snow lovers on the west coast would be happy with the former!

Me, I'd rather a 3/4 day deluge of unprecented snow over the whole country which then kindly f3cks off before the gradual thaw creates the hazards.

Something like this would be my version of the jackpot.

archives-1917-1-25-0-0.png

According to Met Eireann, it was the most severe snowfall for the past two centuries. Doesn't look that impressive on that chart, the Atlantic pushing what would normally be rain into Ireland. But conditions were just the right side of marginal, and instead of rain it was a massive dumping of snow. 25 inches of snow on the level in Carrick on Suir. Imagine the height of the drifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

What about a camera if you travel up the country to see the snow :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

00z's still well on track though it's more likely to be frost rather than snow at least till the beginning of next week. Possibilities for deeper cold thereafter but a big change compared to the mild weather recently. Wednesday onward temperatures start falling away.

00z's still well on track though it's more likely to be frost rather than snow at least till the beginning of next week. Possibilities for deeper cold thereafter but a big change compared to the mild weather recently. Wednesday onward temperatures start falling away.

From Monday we'll be right back at square one, mild and moist all the way. Atlantic to prevail once again, for now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

:(

Joe Public wrote: »
    What about a camera if you travel up the country to see the snow :D

PentaxW30 underwater weather resistant. two batteries fully charged.
    Panasonic SD9 two batteries fully charged 32GB card.
    Canon 5D MKII 3 batteries, in car charging capability
    New this year: testing GoPro with underwater weatherproof housing, no spare batteries no charging capabilities.
    @' :)

From Monday we'll be right back at square one, mild and moist all the way. Atlantic to prevail once again, for now anyway

We will be far from Square one , a mild interlude for a few days more , this all sounds very familiar ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

New this year: testing GoPro with underwater weatherproof housing, no spare batteries no charging capabilities.
    @' :)

I bought spurious batteries for GoPro Hero2 and 3 off ebay. The the for hero3 I got 3 batteries and an external charger (mains and car) for 30 quid. The other thing I got was the battery bacpac. With the non waterproof case you can hook it up to power and run the camera indefinitely. I got a 5000mah USB battery pack for remote charging, very handy.

Other handy tip is Rain-X on the lens of the gopro to stop beads from forming.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Yes it will, but only on Inchvale Close in Shamrock Lawn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement