Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning progressively colder from Wednesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Yes it will, but only on Inchvale Close in Shamrock Lawn.

Actually looking at the 12z GFS this might happen! Looks like a short term upgrade to me. To my untrained eye there's a decent chance of snow to the East of a from Louth to Cork according to GFS from Sat evening through to Sunday afternoon. As this is only 102 hrs away its a possibility now on this forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

All aboooooard!!! :D

The-Art-of-the-Polar-Express-9780811846592.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Decent upgarde on latest GFS run anyway. Easterley coming in around the 288 mark. Could be a bit of snow around the 120 hour mark aswell with the latest upgrade but will be very close unless the cold shifts further west. All in all if you want cold you'll like today's charts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

On track folks, snow risk increasing over the weekend, back later.:cool:

heard we are heading for a big Freeze in a couple of weeks from a friend, similar to the Freeze of Christmas 2010.

Anyone else think this could be true?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

heard we are heading for a big Freeze in a couple of weeks from a friend, similar to the Freeze of Christmas 2010.

Anyone else think this could be true?

At the moment looking colder over the weekend , too soon to call it a big freeze

Almost safe to say snow could well fall on east and south east coasts as early as Sunday. Not quite certain but we are nearly there. Just give it a couple of more model runs to firm up the details.

The OP is reasonable guidance given the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Current Operational (Deterministic) multi-model guidance points towards a very strong cold signal for NW Europe in the near term.

As of 20.30 tonight, this is the strongest cross model agreement that we have seen for a deep cold signal since the November/December 2010 episode which affected Ireland so significantly.

From a professional forecasting perspective, the outlook is exceptionally tedious, as should the ECMWF 12Z Det Guidance (tonight) verify, then Met Eireann's 18.50 is certainly erroneous - even to T+120 (Day 5) - disregarding any potential developments beyond this.

The two hurdles that we face are at both T+96 and T+144, in terms of establishing a sustained cold pattern.

However, we are still not at acceptable levels of certainty regarding such a potential cold outbreak. IF the majority of NWP Guidance shows a similar trend +24 from now, then certainty will become very high.

Further fluctuations in the NWP guidance remain highly likely!

Above all else - here's hoping that every frame of the 12Z ECMWF verifies, if not - we have seen some truly wonderful virtual winter synoptics!

SA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Welcome back SA, good post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Only seeing the ECM OP now/

But WOW :D

• Advertisement

Only seeing the ECM OP now/

But WOW :D

Where have you been!?:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Out to 90 on the 18Z and still looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

96 and 102 look good too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I know that many serious weather watchers had a poor opinion of Positive Weather Solutions but I personally found it a useful site for long range forecasts. I accept that there is a fair bit of guesswork involved and that such forecasts could turn out to be completely wrong but it was still good fun and they did get it right quite a few times.

Is there another site out there similar to PWS?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

solas111 wrote: »
    I know that many serious weather watchers had a poor opinion of Positive Weather Solutions but I personally found it a useful site for long range forecasts. I accept that there is a fair bit of guesswork involved and that such forecasts could turn out to be completely wrong but it was still good fun and they did get it right quite a few times.

Is there another site out there similar to PWS?

Yeah try Mark Vogan - www.markvoganweather.com :D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Bloody cold in Galway now. Car says 3 degrees C but there is frost on the cars already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Bloody cold in Galway now. Car says 3 degrees C but there is frost on the cars already.

That would be about right id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

derekon wrote: »
    Yeah try Mark Vogan - www.markvoganweather.com :D

D

Thanks. That looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann Outlook, updated, based on the 12Z ECM, so if that downgrades then this will downgrade too, please remember that!

The weekend looks like it will be chilly, the lowest values, probably in the low single figures, will in the East with Easterly or Northeasterly breezes. There will be a good deal of dry weather with some wintry sunshine but some showers also, these turning increasingly to sleet and snow especially on Sunday. Nights will be frosty with fog and ice.

At the moment Sunday night and the early days of next week brings the threat of more significant snow to places and it will feel very cold with the winds strengthening.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met Eireann Outlook, updated, based on the 12Z ECM, so if that downgrades then this will downgrade too, please remember that!

Wow nice forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

yeah they had a forecast similar to that in December and then it was rain the next morning I woke up. Think we will see some snow but it may not be as widespread as the significant stuff they are on about. I think it may just brush the East and Southeast and the rest of us will be going if only. Maybe we will get those spectacular frosts instead though which would beat the boring shi8 we have had these past 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I honestly think this is going to be pretty Epic for snowlovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Just had a look outside, cars are frozen over and lots of fog...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd be extremely happy with a downgrade on that, snow on Sun night would be an absolute disaster for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

gbee wrote: »
    PentaxW30 underwater weather resistant. two batteries fully charged.
    Panasonic SD9 two batteries fully charged 32GB card.
    Canon 5D MKII 3 batteries, in car charging capability
    New this year: testing GoPro with underwater weatherproof housing, no spare batteries no charging capabilities.
    @' :)

You're well prepared!

And the charging in car issue is easily solved with a €40 inverter from Halfords.

I will update the OP based on today's 00z model runs. As of now it's pretty much spot on but that could change.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im watching with great interest as I'm getting married next Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

pauldry wrote: »
    yeah they had a forecast similar to that in December and then it was rain the next morning I woke up. Think we will see some snow but it may not be as widespread as the significant stuff they are on about. I think it may just brush the East and Southeast and the rest of us will be going if only. Maybe we will get those spectacular frosts instead though which would beat the boring shi8 we have had these past 2 weeks

Well Pauldry, its a case of history now repeating itself. Look at how Met Eireann's forecast has updated this morning Thursday, with snow now restricted to high ground. The 0z ECM just released is a major downgrade:

bright start to Sunday but it will be quite cold as temperatures only climb to between 3 and 6 degrees in cool west to northwest winds. Outbreaks of rain will develop along the west coast during the late morning and some of that rain will fall as sleet and snow on higher ground as it spreads eastwards later in the day and on Sunday night. Another cold night with lows of 0 to 3 degrees.

There will be more outbreaks of rain and sleet on Monday although parts of the east and south will remain drier. Highs of 4 to 7 degrees in moderate northwest winds. The cold and frosty nights will continue on Monday night with a widespread frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

derekon wrote: »
    Well Pauldry, its a case of history now repeating itself. Look at how Met Eireann's forecast has updated this morning Thursday, with snow now restricted to high ground. The 0z ECM just released is a major downgrade:

bright start to Sunday but it will be quite cold as temperatures only climb to between 3 and 6 degrees in cool west to northwest winds. Outbreaks of rain will develop along the west coast during the late morning and some of that rain will fall as sleet and snow on higher ground as it spreads eastwards later in the day and on Sunday night. Another cold night with lows of 0 to 3 degrees.

There will be more outbreaks of rain and sleet on Monday although parts of the east and south will remain drier. Highs of 4 to 7 degrees in moderate northwest winds. The cold and frosty nights will continue on Monday night with a widespread frost.

Gerry Murphy must have done that update;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Gerry Murphy must have done that update;)
    Thats certainly got the hallmarks of A Gerry Murphy forecast. I suppose M.E will upgrade when GFS gets in line. They are playing caution to the wind and rightly so' look what happened before Christmas and last February last year:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement