Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Thing You Have Done in Oz

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

As the title says..What is the best touristy thing you have done since you have been here?

I would say mine is definitely going to Cairns and swimming the Reef. Seeing a big sea turtle up close was the most surreal thing iv ever seen and if anyone was coming to Oz i would advise them to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

For me, snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef was amazing, felt like I was in Finding Nemo! Also the 12 Apostles were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Overland track in Tasmania

Other than that all the things that jumped into my head as replies we're done in NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

So far it has to be driving through the Outback and camping in the most isolated places imaginable. A few brews, a trillion stars lighting up the sky, the crackle of the campfire and not a soul for hundreds of miles around, goes to show how big a dam country it is!

Looking forward to the Barrier Reef and perhaps shark cage diving if I'm lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

For me it was meeting my girlfriend in Sydney on xmas 2008 we are still together now! Bet she didn't think she would end up living in north dublin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

For me it was the whole time we spent on the east coast with no plans. Arrived in Cairns and had 7 weeks to get to brisbane. Rented a van and just drove the coast. Highlights were snorkelling the reef and Jet skis in Arlie Beach. Jet Skis were the best fun ever. Go for the more expensive package were you go out around the islands and not just in the bay. I wasnt to keen on it before hand but afterwards I would 100% do it again.
    Also just driving the coast and stopping at the tourist information huts along the route. They have free maps of the area and often have some really nice things and places to see which you wouldnt normally know about. The freedom of no schedule is just the best thing about it really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Whale shark swimming in Exmouth, the Great Ocean Road tour, scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef and going to the 2012 A-League Grand Final would be hard to separate for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The drive from Perth To Monkey Mia while long as hell is pretty awesome if you stop off at a few places along the way.

Just messing about in the sea in Monkey Mia and this massive sea turtle pops his head up about two foot from me, spent the next hour just drifting alongside him, was pretty cool how little he cared I was there. Was also fishing off the pier there at night when a dolphin and her calf came right in and spent about 15 minutes making noises at me trying to get some grub.

Spent the token weekend on Fraser Island too which was pretty amazing as we ended up with a really decent group of people in our jeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

driving the Nullarbor twice , swimming with wild dolphins in Shark Bay , surfing in Bondi with the kids , drinking a glass of Australian rose while watching the sunset on the west coast , watching from the car at 2am the tent being flooded after torrential rain , watching from the car at 2am the tent being flooded with sand after a sand storm ( that was a different night !) ......

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

White water rafting the Tulley river.
    Picking oranges in Bundy.
    Overnight camping in Uluru and climbing said BIG ROCK

Oh and winning the NSW state lottery.

Ta da

All many moons ago but had to comment, still great memories

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

white water rafting along the tully river was amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

A day trekking through the bungle bungle ranges, magical!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Getting back to the mainland after Fraser Island AKA Hell on Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Getting back to the mainland after Fraser Island AKA Hell on Earth

Wow same thing with me, rained for 3 days straight, 4wheel drive kept breaking down, Bitten alive by mossies.. was a rough few days

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Spent 3 months traveling Aus 13 years ago

Went diving on the reef, camped in the outback, climbed Ayres Rcok , went to the F1 GP, surfed on the Goald Coast

But the best thing I did was go juming off the cliffs in Wattamolla

here is what it's like (not me by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So many great things to do and see but as was said being able to drive one of those rented campers and stop off wherever you want, have a coffee and then go for a walk on a beach. Seeing crocs on a river boat in Mary river and the fabulous Kakadu NP in the NT. Climbing a couple of mountains in Tasmania, getting to see the view of Wineglass bay. The Ocean Rd, driving a jeep on Fraser Island and as night fell watching the dingos hunch behind fishermen casting hoping to pick up a scrap. Just delighted I took the year out to see it all and really glad I had the flexibility in my job there to travel for a week every few months.Once in a lifetime opportunity while you are young.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Philip Island Penguins

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Living in Esperance for 3 months was prob the part I'll always remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

5 day live on board dive trip on outer reef on barrier reef out of Airlie beach. Many years ago but still remember the diving during the day and evening and the cold beers on deck at night. Sailed through night to awake on different dive spot each morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

So far its been whitsundays, 2 days 2 nights sailing, beautiful beaches & views, snorkeling, relaxing..

Still lots to do though, will be keeping an eye on this thread :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm, a difficult one but i think the country music festival in Gympy was really special - memories that will last a life time.

or the Sheep Shearing festival in Isisford, Queensland

Amazing people and memories - i have a big grin on my face thinking about them

• Advertisement
Advertisement