Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malware Alerts

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

I think google chrome is becoming really strict in terms of detection. As a result, i've spotted two topics in the past week that cause malware alerts, purely as a result of images that were being linked to. While the posters were obviously unaware of the link causing the issue, it could potentially become an annoyance. I alerted the relevant moderators to it and they were both resolved however many posters might avoid reporting such posts or the alert may scare the hell out of the less experience or older user.

I really have no clue on how to resolve it. Perhaps, make users aware that its an issue that could potentially grow and advise them to contact the relevant moderators when it does occur. There's probably a modification out there for vbulletin but it wouldn't be an option, given the fact that the forum is heavily modified. I just thought it was worth drawing it to your attention.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Bug reports often filter in to Site Development over it - I don't believe Chrome is being as smart as it could be with regard to the checking, especially since almost all of these reports are simply images linked to on a domain that has malware, 99.99% of the time the image isn't what's causing the problem.

It should be taken care of at moderator level in any case, the devs don't edit posts unless absolutely necessary

Danny

Advertisement