Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nVidia Project Shield

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Steam Big Picture...now available on a tiny screen!

Interesting concept, though i'm not sure i'd bother playing my pc games on a handheld device when i can just play them on the pc itself. Still though, will be interesting to see where they go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yeh the silly screen add-on seems to fairly useless to me. This is the part I found most interesting:
    In the future, Nvidia says that it will add support to stream content from the Shield to a television wirelessly, so you can watch video and play games on your TV display without being tethered by wires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

the future is among us
    were going to be overrun by steaminators

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

kyub wrote: »
    Yeh the silly screen add-on seems to fairly useless to me. This is the part I found most interesting:

Well as a proper android gaming device it would certainly need the screen as well, although unless it is detachable it looks like it could be a little bit distracting/obtrusive when you don't need it in TV streaming mode.

Still a very neat and innovative idea all the same, kudos to Nvidia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Amazing idea imo. I only have my PC for about 4 nights a week so if this would allow me play them remotely it would be awesome.

Only thing I'd like to sort out then would be able to turn my PC on and off remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well if this will be priced well, it will replace my ps vita and 3ds in a heartbeat.

my handhelds at home never left home even once. those are there for me to play when i am not at my pc or misses watches telly. So if i can just play my steam libary on a sofa, while misses watches TV..... Sorry Wii U, the only thing that was pushing me to get you is now been done a lot better by other device!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The ability to stream my stuff from my PC makes it a very attractive portable option. I wonder what the streaming quality will be like on it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd imagine the input lag would be horrific streaming games from your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Inquitus wrote: »
    I'd imagine the input lag would be horrific streaming games from your PC.

Why do you say that? Devices like wifi remotes and even sometimes bluetooth devices have near instant input.

I can control a TV using a phone and have instant response.

if there was lag it would pretty much make this device a non starter and nvidia wouldn't make a device like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

doesnt it use wifi to stream from the pc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was considering the option say... my PC is in Dublin and I'm in Galway for the weekend on another Wifi network, how the streaming would be then. Why would I want a handheld and had to stick to my own wifi in my house? I'd just use the PC then instead.

I was considering the option say... my PC is in Dublin and I'm in Galway for the weekend on another Wifi network, how the streaming would be then. Why would I want a handheld and had to stick to my own wifi in my house? I'd just use the PC then instead.

At such a low resolution on the device it should stream fine as long as you have a decent internet connection at both ends.

Limericks wrote: »
    At such a low resolution on the device it should stream fine as long as you have a decent internet connection at both ends.

But its streaming directly from your PC. My guess is whatever resolution your game is set to is what will be streamed to the handheld.

But its streaming directly from your PC. My guess is whatever resolution your game is set to is what will be streamed to the handheld.

I would assume that nvidia will be using some sort of compression and a function built into the drivers on your PC that will change the resolution of the game before streaming it. According to online info it will be compatible with GTX cards only so no worries about them having to come up with a solution for AMD users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

These were supposed to be released today but they've been delayed till next month. So is anyone planning on getting one?

The launch price was reduced by 100 dollars which makes it a more attractive option... but I'll wait for reviews first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im hoping my Ouya with kainy fill this void for me, especially as i have an AMD card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Can't wait for the Shield. The controls on the DS and the Vita suck, particularly if your hands are anyway large. Literally a week before the Shield was announced I was thinking wouldn't it be awesome if you could just attach a screen to a xbox controller, would be so much better than a DS or Vita.

Great minds think alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Meh. I was really excited about this thing, but for 300eu, they can blow it out of their arses. I am getting PS4 and I already got ps vita for streaming games.

Just a streaming device it is not worth 300eu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Guys this is out now for ¢300 which is about €249, reviews seem positive but the price is the killer, saying that that though I think by the time you buy a few games for a vita and lump up for some memory the cost difference isn't much.
    Looks like a portable xbox to me, think I could get on well with that controller. Think I might move on the vita, what's your take on it?

http://shield.nvidia.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Am i right in thinking it only plays Android games and then streams PC games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Wouldn't the lag be a pretty serious problem? I mean there are some PC gamers who refuse to use wireless peripherals because of the input lag. Surely sending an input over wifi and then receiving an output also over wifi would start to get a bit stuttery right?

Also, is this even portable or can it just be used at home? If it's just at home then why not just use the PC? If not, then how does it work?

Advertisement