Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old lad at Leopardstown driving range

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

ah God, he sounds a real character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

decko11 wrote: »
    I think he still drives

Yep, I saw him the other night driving out of Stepaside

Cribben is his name alright, now that I hear it. I remember some of the regulars calling him by name but couldn't remember it til I saw the post earlier !

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

I cant help but think this...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMHsWdu17i2RdLoTZsitgJBdRgAONPvgMF0vU-xGxgCZgToFGbMA

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TGoodall

I've changed my opinion of him, gave me some good advice last week and hitting it much more on line now. I don't think he has enough years left in him to help me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

I have added 50 yards to my drive since he approached me last week.
    Not joking.

Does anyone know where this bloke lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

Excellent

I did say he is as good if not better than most pros

I will pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Sorry had to bump this epic thread. Any recent interactions to report?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Just read the thread, it all seems a bit mental doesn't it.

The worst I've ever had was a leftie trying to show me how to hit the driver straight, getting mixed up between strong and a weak grip, then proceeding to give me an example and nearly hooking it into the car park, I was biting my lip so hard it hurt lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Just read the thread, it all seems a bit mental doesn't it.

The worst I've ever had was a leftie trying to show me how to hit the driver straight, getting mixed up between strong and a weak grip, then proceeding to give me an example and nearly hooking it into the car park, I was biting my lip so hard it hurt lol

ah yes, the old pro.
    can take one look at your approach and fix it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I was just thinking I don't think he'd get away with this on the north side. Might be found behind a shed in Elm Green with a 9 iron wrapped around his neck.

• Advertisement

well its over a year since any sightings on this thread ......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

decko11 wrote: »
    well its over a year since any sightings on this thread ......

I'll call Elm Green in the morning and get them to check behind the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I've been up at Leopardstown a lot recently and haven't seen him at all

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

He might be giving lessons to the man above!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Maybe he's a boardsie & read this thread... maybe he found it derogatory and gave up helping people for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SaffronandBlue

I can't believe I came across this posting... John Cribben is a true character - a gentleman first, funny as can be, great story teller and above all a golf nut. Actually John is the original golf nut. Of the 4 dentists you mentioned earlier in the blog John was by far the worst - the ring leader you could say. They lived and died for golf. As men of science they knew there was a perfect swing out there and if they searched hard and long they would find the secret. At a time when hitting balls on the range was frowned upon - "what would you be doing that for" - these guys were trend setters. They met at UCD and thereafter scattered only to regroup regularly to download on what they had learned since they last met. This would include trips to England to meet up with the latest guru. It was on one of these trips that John hooked onto John Jacobs - what could be better if Jacobs could set up a driving range up the street in Leopardstown. So John has been there since the beginning. He helped promote an analytical approach that was generally lacking in Irish golf at the time. He has heard it, read it and seen it all. He has learned from the very best in John Jacobs - widely considered the father of modern golf instruction. So even though he is 89 years young there are many nuggetst of wisdom he can share. I wish I was a little closer than Southeastern Pennsylvania to hear some of them. I'm glad he is still spreading the good news and converting new disciples. Thank you John for all the laughs and memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SaffronandBlue

I can't believe I came across this posting... John Cribben is a true character - a gentleman first, funny as can be, great story teller and above all a golf nut. Actually John is the original golf nut. Of the 4 dentists you mentioned earlier in the blog John was by far the worst - the ring leader you could say. They lived and died for golf. As men of science they knew there was a perfect swing out there and if they searched hard and long they would find the secret. At a time when hitting balls on the range was frowned upon - "what would you be doing that for" - these guys were trend setters. They met at UCD and thereafter scattered only to regroup regularly to download on what they had learned since they last met. This would include trips to England to meet up with the latest guru. It was on one of these trips that John hooked onto John Jacobs - what could be better if Jacobs could set up a driving range up the street in Leopardstown. So John has been there since the beginning. He helped promote an analytical approach that was generally lacking in Irish golf at the time. He has heard it, read it and seen it all. He has learned from the very best in John Jacobs - widely considered the father of modern golf instruction. So even though he is 89 years young there are many nuggetst of wisdom he can share. I wish I was a little closer than Southeastern Pennsylvania to hear some of them. I'm glad he is still spreading the good news and converting new disciples. Thank you John for all the laughs and memories.

i havent seen John in ages --- must not be up to it anymore ..... Derry Culligan joined Tony C maybe 10 years ago and Norman is having it rough....

john is still around

saw him at a funeral

not sure he is still doing his range work

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was out today and this is the only thread that I could think of that this fits in.
    In the end reading back now - it wasn't the bloke in this thread - but found a "legend" today.

Was fairly crazy out wind wise and just after hitting my 2nd shot to the first a gent drove up to me in a buggy and said - that me and him were to have a match (he later told me he was in his 70s), we also had to go back to the first tee too. Now there was no match planed and I was short of time - but you can't really refuse a match from a 70+ year old. Anyway - considering the wind on the coast it was a sensible option rather than chasing a score that wasn't there.

He was a guy who had been a low player all his life ("less than 4") - but just due to age was off - 13. Means he had 9 shots on me. I was playing poorly - but he absolute hammered me 6 & 4.

But was hilarious stuff.

On my first wedge into the first, into about 10 feet - he runs over and says , if you don't mind me saying, your divot is way too deep - it should only be the size of 5 euro. I told him - I know , but have been struggling for the last while with wedges.

We walked off the first, with him 1 up after holing a 12 footer.

Walking to next tee - he tells me I could do with losing a bit of weight - (lol). F***er right again.

Next hole I hit a cracking 7 iron to 8 feet - held it up against the wind, but only good enough to be putting first - he had hit a very impressive 5 wood in. Hole halved.

Walking off that hole he tells me how it is silly that a player off my handicap is not using a prov1 - and basically unless you understand ball compression - you are going nowhere.

On 3rd hole I hit a bunker and hit a fairly good bunker shot - but he tells me that I should know it was 1 club extra, not two - I said I better say something back to this lad - because he thinks I basically know nothing about golf. I told him , I was adding loft to get over lip and as it was a cross wind I was using the wind to bring ball back into green - was almost perfect.

He let me off for a while then.

He went on to tell me how he retired from banking in his 50s and basically all his life used golf to entertain clients. It was interesting stuff. We had the chat about the ratio to gross income that people were borrowing and why it all went wrong - Then he started explaining to me how we need to fully understand the ambient conditions in the context of distance control.

He then asked me - " Do you know what they call me in my club" - I had got a feel this guy could take a joke - even one on the very edge. I answered
    "The bollix".

Thank feck he laughed. He told me he was the "professor" due to his detailed papers and notes on the game.

We were only around the 9th hole and the match was looking near over - him 4 up. I was playing poor - but he was sort of unbeatable - on every fairway , 2nd shot in or around the green - he just had to get up and down to win holes and he had an outstanding short game. He told me how he payed a lot with professionals, coached young guys, played with all the greats in the Irish game.

Over the next 9 holes - he ripped apart my
    • Swing
    • Grip
    • Posture
    • alignment
    • stance
    • putting
    • wedge play
    • ball postion
    • tee height

:D

He was somewhat right about it all.

His bible on the game was Ben Hogan's Five lessons.

We had a coffee after and a laugh. Before I left I asked him is there anything else in my game or personality he would like to take apart.

He laughed.
    I Laughed.

Left in the car with way more questions than answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Was out today and this is the only thread that I could think of that this fits in.
    In the end reading back now - it wasn't the bloke in this thread - but found a "legend" today.

Was fairly crazy out wind wise and just after hitting my 2nd shot to the first a gent drove up to me in a buggy and said - that me and him were to have a match (he later told me he was in his 70s), we also had to go back to the first tee too. Now there was no match planed and I was short of time - but you can't really refuse a match from a 70+ year old. Anyway - considering the wind on the coast it was a sensible option rather than chasing a score that wasn't there.

He was a guy who had been a low player all his life ("less than 4") - but just due to age was off - 13. Means he had 9 shots on me. I was playing poorly - but he absolute hammered me 6 & 4.

But was hilarious stuff.

On my first wedge into the first, into about 10 feet - he runs over and says , if you don't mind me saying, your divot is way too deep - it should only be the size of 5 euro. I told him - I know , but have been struggling for the last while with wedges.

We walked off the first, with him 1 up after holing a 12 footer.

Walking to next tee - he tells me I could do with losing a bit of weight - (lol). F***er right again.

Next hole I hit a cracking 7 iron to 8 feet - held it up against the wind, but only good enough to be putting first - he had hit a very impressive 5 wood in. Hole halved.

Walking off that hole he tells me how it is silly that a player off my handicap is not using a prov1 - and basically unless you understand ball compression - you are going nowhere.

On 3rd hole I hit a bunker and hit a fairly good bunker shot - but he tells me that I should know it was 1 club extra, not two - I said I better say something back to this lad - because he thinks I basically know nothing about golf. I told him , I was adding loft to get over lip and as it was a cross wind I was using the wind to bring ball back into green - was almost perfect.

He let me off for a while then.

He went on to tell me how he retired from banking in his 50s and basically all his life used golf to entertain clients. It was interesting stuff. We had the chat about the ratio to gross income that people were borrowing and why it all went wrong - Then he started explaining to me how we need to fully understand the ambient conditions in the context of distance control.

He then asked me - " Do you know what they call me in my club" - I had got a feel this guy could take a joke - even one on the very edge. I answered
    "The bollix".

Thank feck he laughed. He told me he was the "professor" due to his detailed papers and notes on the game.

We were only around the 9th hole and the match was looking near over - him 4 up. I was playing poor - but he was sort of unbeatable - on every fairway , 2nd shot in or around the green - he just had to get up and down to win holes and he had an outstanding short game. He told me how he payed a lot with professionals, coached young guys, played with all the greats in the Irish game.

Over the next 9 holes - he ripped apart my
    • Swing
    • Grip
    • Posture
    • alignment
    • stance
    • putting
    • wedge play
    • ball postion
    • tee height

:D

He was somewhat right about it all.

His bible on the game was Ben Hogan's Five lessons.

We had a coffee after and a laugh. Before I left I asked him is there anything else in my game or personality he would like to take apart.

He laughed.
    I Laughed.

Left in the car with way more questions than answers.

I love it. Just when I was thinking there's not much happening in this forum any more. Thanks for giving me a laugh!
    P.S. Maybe we should rename this thread "Old bollixes over 70 with advice".

To be honest - I only put up 1/2 of it there.

He definitely was not for everyone.

Say we were in a real match - he was a guru with mind games.

I said to him at 16 - that I had learnt a lot - he told me that I also need to get rid of the fat grip because that is only for weak putters who have the yips.

I told him at one point I was thinking I was near yips - he tested me for the yips and told me I passed the test.

He gave me two good marks
    1) I was near a very good player
    2) and willing to learn.

He fixed my wedges in 3 balls.
    Well - for 3 shots.

In his mind and my delusional subservient demoralised mind.

One other thing he told me was 1/2 decent was my gps.

But - he told me that they are not needed if you count in your mind - also, he added at that point - that my clubs were too dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

But - he told me that they are not needed if you count in your mind - also, he added at that point - that my clubs were too dirty.
    We should rename you St FixdePitchmark for not killing him on one of the greens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    We should rename you St FixdePitchmark for not killing him on one of the greens :pac:

+1 to that - I couldn't have handled that at all. When I want some advice I'll ask for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Great story, FdP... I love oul fellas like that - sure he was probably a bit of a hoor, but lots of young people are awful hoors too and can't teach ya anything about life!

Great to see/hear a man of that age still with plenty of life and with a bit of divil in him too... not sure I could play golf with him every week though :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Jeasuz I'd have cracked up if I had a constant critique of my game for a whole round!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Great stories , I love auld lads.
    I remember I joined mountain view and I needed 3 cards to get a handicap. I arrived up with no one to mark my card. This auld scottish lad called Hughie he snarled at me then agreed to come around with me. He told me he used to caddie on some famous links in Scotland and how he gave advice to lads who thought they knew better etc. I was only starting out but I had the RBZ driver. I was hitting it a mile fairly straight. The 16 dog leg right obb if I went straight, he gave me the line a house in the distance and told to set up and move my right foot back a fraction.
    I hit the most beautiful controlled fade to the middle of the fairway I'll always remember that shot, but for the life of me I can't figure out how as it's the opposite to everything I read or watched online to hit a fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Surprised you didn't play 36 holes, can't imagine he could get through all your golf issues in 18 holes !!!!!

Great story and as always well told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Its stuff like this that makes golf a unique and great game especially on this Island...

Advertisement