Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old lad at Leopardstown driving range

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I aspire to be like him one day. Not only to have the knowledge that he has but to not have a care in the world about sharing it with anyone, solicited or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

It’s fair enough if he critiques your game and he can play a bit himself, what really grinds my gears is lads who criticise/advise! you on individual aspects during the round & then you beat them by 9 points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

It's bolloxes like that turn young fellas away from the game. Imagine a 14 year old there in that situation he'd swing for him.
    In instances like this its a negative this game endears itself to so many different generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

what a twat

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

what a twat

Who ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Who ?

Good question ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Dtoffee wrote:
    Good question

Why?

Why?

Because I'm a bit of a twat.

No your man was a likable character. But he basically destroyed the game of any decent player in his club.

Was harsh stuff.

I decided to be subservient for a day .

He told me he was humbled that I would listen to him .

Was a strange experience. But worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

Sadly, JOhn passed end NOvember 2020, ar dheis de go raibh a anam dilis

decko11 wrote: »
    Sadly, JOhn passed end NOvember 2020, ar dheis de go raibh a anam dilis

Sad, a legend - this thread was gas.

wonder was it covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

I'm almost 100% confident that the same John Cribbin used to come into The Step Inn when i worked there, he would order a pint of Guinness, while waiting for it to settle he would put an iron rod in the open fire we had going in the bar, poke it around a bit, when it was red hot, stick it into the pint of Guinness to mull it....
    If it was the same guy, he was as mad as a bag of badgers, but a total gent.
    His wife and daughter still run a horse riding center near the "Blue Light" pub in Barnacullia, Sandyford.

Miss meeting character's like him, they weren't known as nutters, more as being "eccentric" :)

If anybody who drank in the Step Inn in the early 90's can confirm or deny this, I would appreciate it 👍

skibum wrote: »
    I'm almost 100% confident that the same John Cribbin used to come into The Step Inn when i worked there, he would order a pint of Guinness, while waiting for it to settle he would put an iron rod in the open fire we had going in the bar, poke it around a bit, when it was red hot, stick it into the pint of Guinness to mull it....
    His wife and daughter still run a horse riding center near the "Blue Light" pub in Barnacullia, Sandyford.

Miss meeting character's like him, they weren't known as nutters, more as being "eccentric" :)

If anybody who drank in the Step Inn in the early 90's can confirm or deny this, I would appreciate it 👍

yes thats John allright - his Wife runs the Paddocks

skibum wrote: »

:D:D:D:D

Fascinating - what even is the theory of that.

I'm going to do that with my mates when the pubs open - guess you would have to be in a place with an open fire (not too many around)

took John's Advice this am hitting shots into a garden net - " Be a snob to the ball" he told me - i get my chin stuck low down

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DDBB

Mod snip

Welcome to Boards, but if posting, post something relevant

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DDBB

Not sure why my post was removed saying it wasn't relevant. I was talking about the old lad at Leopardstown driving range! Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

A cousin of mine at Leopardstown Golf range ...approached by old dude.

Old Dude: Nice swing! what are you trying to achieve ?

Cousin: Well ..I am playing off seven now and if i don'r get down to five for next year I am packin it in !

Old Dude .Take a few swings there and let me have a look

Cousin: Takes a few swings ......

Old Dude: What are you going to do with all your free time next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omanomad

So if you tilt your head up a bit and look straight ahead, should your gaze be over the ball, and to look at the ball you would have to look down with your eyes as opposed to tilting your head down, is that the correct setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Basic idea is that you shouldn't have your chin tucked in as it'll limit your shoulder turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cloudstrife

The aul lads are mad alrite, is there method to the madness though? It reminded me of the time I was out playing on my own once in callan early one morning, I liked to get out early and have the course to myself. Back then I was determined to figure this game out myself so I had a bag full of balls and an over the top swing. I never got his name but he caught up to me at the turn and proceeded to give me lessons all the way in, what suck with me is the 13th hole. Not a driver hole at all but I hit a slice off the planet. “Hit another one” he says and then tells me x’y and z. If anyone knows the 13th in callan gc I drove it over the dyke that splits it. With a look of disbelief I turn to him, “ what I could do with you in a year, I’d turn you into something special”he says 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

About 20 yrs ago I was playing interclubs against an old boy in his early 70’s but fit. At the time I was in my late 20s and low single figure hp. It was tight up to the 10th, every now and again he would say “you pulled that one” or “you pushed it a bit”. I stupidly said to him “You must have been some golfer in your day”, to which he replied “today is still my day”, match ended on the 16th, he winked at me as we shook hands.

Advertisement