Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable cheek!

Options
  • 07-01-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Need to have a quick rant, sorry.

Took my sons to school this morning as it was lashing rain. Parked uphill on Threadneedle Rd to let them out.
    The car parked uphill from me started rolling back, I hooted repeatedly, but the car rolled into mine. The driver of the car made no attempt to get out and apologise. So after waiting a bit I got out and knockd on the driver's window.
    The 'lady' at the wheel was playing completely dumb. First she claimed she had no idea what I wanted, then she claimed she had wondered why I had hooted at her snd thought I had driven into her.
    According to her she had her handbrake on and had not felt her roll back :eek: She refused to get out to see whether there was any damage and drove off quickly. What a shameless liar!
    i have her registration and am wondering whether I should report her.
    Damage to my car is minimal and its old so not worried about that, I wouldn't have minded at all if she had got out and apologised but her brazenness was just a bit too much to take early in the morning.
    So, what would you do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Need to have a quick rant, sorry.

Took my sons to school this morning as it was lashing rain. Parked uphill on Threadneedle Rd to let them out.
    The car parked uphill from me started rolling back, I hooted repeatedly, but the car rolled into mine. The driver of the car made no attempt to get out and apologise. So after waiting a bit I got out and knockd on the driver's window.
    The 'lady' at the wheel was playing completely dumb. First she claimed she had no idea what I wanted, then she claimed she had wondered why I had hooted at her snd thought I had driven into her.
    According to her she had her handbrake on and had not felt her roll back :eek: She refused to get out to see whether there was any damage and drove off quickly. What a shameless liar!
    i have her registration and am wondering whether I should report her.
    Damage to my car is minimal and its old so not worried about that, I wouldn't have minded at all if she had got out and apologised but her brazenness was just a bit too much to take early in the morning.
    So, what would you do?

No need to wonder about it, definitely do, people like that are a serious danger on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Same as above, head to the Garda station OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

^^^ Ditto

There could have been a child walking in-between the two cars.

This woman is oblivious to her surroundings and needs a dose of cop-on, which the guards can dish out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

No one was injured, luckily.
    Forget about it and move on with your life, the Guards will do fcuk all about it. They hardly follow up on more serious issues, and in fairness this is hardly a terrible occurrence.

And yes the women was a complete ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

She refused to get out to see whether there was any damage and drove off quickly.

Bit bizzare that

Only a few days ago :(

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/belfast-toddler-dies-after-runaway-vehicle-rolls-down-hill-and-smashes-into-buggy-16255949.html

buggy_accident_736452t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I would report her.

Something similar happened to my husband.

Girl was a complete arse about it. If she had been apologetic he probably would have let it go.

If you had hit her what would have happened?

People like that make my blood boil! One rule for them etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd report her as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I would think it is technically a hit and run as she did not stay at the scene or exchange details etc.
    I would report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If there was no significant damage to your car, and you're not concerned about repair/insurance, then there's no need to go the whole hog with a formal report to the Gardai.

However, if you have the reg and a description of the car (and driver) you do have the option of requesting that AGS contact the driver to notify them of your concerns and perhaps to caution them.

I have done that before after dangerous/careless driving incidents, and I have found AGS to be very helpful in that regard.

It allows for a bit of awareness-raising following minor incidents that would otherwise be a waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I had a similar experience once OP. An older gent was at a red light and slowly rolled in to me. My horn was blaring but he didn't hear it. He got out and started shouting abuse that I had hit him. He made a big production of filing a claim and everything. I called my insurance straight away so they'd have the real story in case he did call (he never did).

In a separate incident, a woman hit my car while I was in the shop and tried to hit and run. Luckily I came out of the shop, witnesses pointed to the car, and I got the license plate reg. Called the guards who tracked her down for me. She didn't get in to any trouble for the hit and run, but was forced to give me her details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I had a similar experience once OP. An older gent was at a red light and slowly rolled in to me. My horn was blaring but he didn't hear it. He got out and started shouting abuse that I had hit him. He made a big production of filing a claim and everything. I called my insurance straight away so they'd have the real story in case he did call (he never did).

In a separate incident, a woman hit my car while I was in the shop and tried to hit and run. Luckily I came out of the shop, witnesses pointed to the car, and I got the license plate reg. Called the guards who tracked her down for me. She didn't get in to any trouble for the hit and run, but was forced to give me her details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would definitely pop into the Gardai, she sounds like a danger on the roads. I would also - based entirely on her horrendous attitude - go the whole hog regarding insurance. So what if your car is old and the damage is minor? She deserves to pay for it, simple as. Don't let her get away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Sounds like the actions of someone driving without insurance - would defo report this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I had an incident similar to the OP's a few years ago. I reported it to Mill Street Station (Galway). It was a hit and run. Got a day in court out of it, as it turned out the other driver in question had no tax, no insurance and no licence. So OP sometimes it can be worth reporting it. I am supriseed more accidents dont happen on Threadneddle Road at school opening and closing times, the way some ppl park there is just unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Happened to me before, only I was the culprit, my car was rolling back, driver behind was hooting/flashing, stopped just in time! I did get out and thank him though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

gctest50 wrote: »

pretty tasteless trying to link or compare the above tragedy to an incident like the op's IMO

from the BT....
    Reports at the scene indicated that there was no-one in the car that hit the boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

Report it. Friend of mine got clipped by a car and there was no obvious damage to both cars. The other driver was at fault and admitted responsibility. Friend thought nothing of it until his brother ( a guard ) told him he should always report no matter how insignificant it seemed. A week or so later the other driver tried to claim against him saying my friend was at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Report it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

RichT wrote: »
    There could have been a child walking in-between the two cars.

There wasn't, so no need to dramatize the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Report, report, report.

Seriously OP, head down to Salthill station. Even if they don't do anything about it, they'll have it logged at the front desk in case this woman decides she has whiplash next week. It's always best to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

cats.life wrote: »
    tell the guards that you smelt drink as she open,d her window. cant stand people like that not wanting to own up for their mistakes. it happend to me at our school ages ago , i had parked away from the school gate when collecting my boy ,so this wan just hoped into her delivery van and reversed out on busey road and hit into me , she ****ed of , i hooted and hooted and even got out of car as she turned the corner at juntion . so i put my thinking cap on as in what do i do now cos she put a big dinge in my passenger door, i went into the school and asked if the wan who left had a fone number cos as she was a delivery person the school wud have the number , so i told them what happend and they quickly it to me, the principal of the school was livid:mad:,he said call the guards, i fond the wan and said ''did you just leave cregmore school, ''she said ya i did'' and so what'' I said did you bump into any thing as you reversed out'' she said i thought i bump,d into the hedge along the side road.''.. i said no ya gimp you put a hole in my passenger door''..told her that ive already called the guards and she went crazy as in saying ''oh no please dont fone them im on my way ,i.l meet ya at the school in half hour when im finished at the next delivery place'' I said no ,im not waiting for you that lenth of time you better come now..we eventually got things sorted after two months, she was called by the guards station in oranmore to come in to the station .she was done for dangerous driving:D:D

That post hurt my brain. Possibly not the best idea to lie to the Guards about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

That post hurt my brain. Possibly not the best idea to lie to the Guards about what happened.
    why bother replying to my post then if it hurts.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

cats.life wrote: »
    why bother replying to my post then if it hurts.:rolleyes:

...to say that lying to the guards about smelling alcohol is a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

if your car is old then it may fail its nct because of some hidden damage caused by this incident. Report to the Gardai ASAP and ask them to get the insurance details of the offending driver. Have your car properly inspected just in case. And that's just for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

if your car is old then it may fail its nct because of some hidden damage caused by this incident. Report to the Gardai ASAP and ask them to get the insurance details of the offending driver. Have your car properly inspected just in case. And that's just for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

whats with all the double posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

whats with all the double posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Shakti wrote: »
    pretty tasteless trying to link or compare the above tragedy to an incident like the op's IMO

from the BT....
    Reports at the scene indicated that there was no-one in the car that hit the boy...

I don't agree, I think it's relevant. In my opinion if someone can be oblivious enough to be in a car that is rolling back while the car behind if beeping(!!), then that person is more than capable of walking away from their car leaving it on a hill without the handbrake engaged correctly. Then you have a potential accident like the one in Belfast.

OP - as others have already stated, you should definitely report this. Hopefully this person will get a good wake up call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

as I said kevR tasteless appropriation of a tragedy to stir the pot,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

Shakti wrote: »
    as I said kevR tasteless appropriation of a tragedy to stir the pot,

i and what appears to be all others believe he made a good point.

Advertisement