Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable cheek!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Much the same nearly happened me years ago :

loaded van with iffy handbrake, started to roll silently towards me

g/f screamed at me, got my attention and i copped it in time

if i was a kid i probably wouldn't have copped what was happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Thank you all for your input. Will go with Iwannahurl's suggestion.
    I definitely won't make anything up (drink). I wouldn't stoop to that level.
    Probably a good way to test my one and only New Years resolution: to put up with less crap this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You should have reported it at the scene, before leaving.

Your defence has now diminished a LOT. The lady can now easily, in her defence, state that you bumped into her and decided not to report it as she didn't deem it necessary.

Not only did she leave the scene without reporting, but so did you! And the way it will look is that you infact ran into the back of her; i'm not saying its right or wrong but its what the law would tend to side on.

Call it a lesson learned, report such incidents on scene if it ever happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

IMHO the dramatics from most of the responses to this thread are a bit OTT.

Before this post gets attacked, hopefully the OP will report back to this thread letting us know of AGS response.

In the mean time, everybody try to remain calm and vigilant, super vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

That post hurt my brain. Possibly not the best idea to lie to the Guards about what happened.
    as if she is going to say what we all said in our posts to the guards:rolleyes: she should have called them there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You should have reported it at the scene, before leaving.

Your defence has now diminished a LOT. The lady can now easily, in her defence, state that you bumped into her and decided not to report it as she didn't deem it necessary.

Not only did she leave the scene without reporting, but so did you! And the way it will look is that you infact ran into the back of her; i'm not saying its right or wrong but its what the law would tend to side on.

Call it a lesson learned, report such incidents on scene if it ever happens again.
    Sorry but this is rubbish. There is no obligation in Ireland to report an accident to the Gardai, from the scene or otherwise, unless there have been injuries. There is an obligation to exchange insurance details with the other party and by driving off without doing so, leaving the OP at the scene, the woman in the other car is the only one guilty of this offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sorry but this is rubbish. There is no obligation in Ireland to report an accident to the Gardai, from the scene or otherwise, unless there have been injuries. There is an obligation to exchange insurance details with the other party and by driving off without doing so, leaving the OP at the scene, the woman in the other car is the only one guilty of this offence.

I think there's a valid point in that the person at fault can claim any damage to your vehicle could have happened anytime after the incident occurred (or was pre-existing) if you don't have a witness. This becomes a your word against their's for the insurance company if you go through with a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Rubbish my hoop. By not calling the Gardai at the time, the defence diminishes (if only slightly) and stories can easily change.

The woman who drove off (according to OP) can easily change her story; whose to say is telling the truth?

Let's be clear here. I am not stating that there is an OBLIGATION to call the Gardai on scene (or otherwise, as you state), I am stating that the OP's defence won't be as strong by reporting it days after the accident, and the OP being the car behind. Stories get fabricated, it's a fact of life. Deal with it!

PS. This thread should be moved to Motors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If there was no significant damage to your car, and you're not concerned about repair/insurance, then there's no need to go the whole hog with a formal report to the Gardai.

However, if you have the reg and a description of the car (and driver) you do have the option of requesting that AGS contact the driver to notify them of your concerns and perhaps to caution them.

I have done that before after dangerous/careless driving incidents, and I have found AGS to be very helpful in that regard.

It allows for a bit of awareness-raising following minor incidents that would otherwise be a waste of everyone's time.

forgive my ignorance but what is AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

an garda siochana

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

soundbyte wrote: »
    Even if they don't do anything about it, they'll have it logged at the front desk
    You'd think so, but it's been shown many times that this isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

soundbyte wrote: »
    Even if they don't do anything about it, they'll have it logged at the front desk
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You'd think so, but it's been shown many times that this isn't true.

Unfortunately this has been my experience. I recently went to Mill Street to report an incident with a taxi driver who hit my car and refused to give me his insurance details before driving off. I was very upset at the time as he had abused me verbally and I could really have done without a visit to the Garda station. Turns out it was a complete waste of time because after not hearing anything back for a week I rang Mill Street only to be told there was no record of the incident in the log book :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Unfortunately this has been my experience. I recently went to Mill Street to report an incident with a taxi driver who hit my car and refused to give me his insurance details before driving off. I was very upset at the time as he had abused me verbally and I could really have done without a visit to the Garda station. Turns out it was a complete waste of time because after not hearing anything back for a week I rang Mill Street only to be told there was no record of the incident in the log book :(

Similar happened to my sister when her car got broken into in broad daylight in Mervue once upon a time. No follow up, no record it had even happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Wompa1 wrote: »

Similar happened to my sister when her car got broken into in broad daylight in Mervue once upon a time. No follow up, no record it had even happened.

Similar thing happened to me before too. No follow-up from Gardaí, no records, nothing. All bizzare.

Well there you go OP. If they're ignoring thefts and car crashes they're not going to do a lot about a near miss are they.

Well there you go OP. If they're ignoring thefts and car crashes they're not going to do a lot about a near miss are they.

+1 to this.

It would be ridiculous reporting such a minor event. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

+1 to this.

It would be ridiculous reporting such a minor event. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    That's not what I said.
    In any country with a functional police service it should be reported as dangerous driving. Here there is simply no point, regardless of the seriousness.
    Don't pretend I said what you are claiming.

That's not what I said.
    In any country with a functional police service it should be reported as dangerous driving. Here there is simply no point, regardless of the seriousness.
    Don't pretend I said what you are claiming.

First off I wasn't pretending that you said anything.
    If you make a diffuse single sentence post it isn't unreasonable for me to make a assumption about that post.
    Instead of getting your knickers in a twist; maybe post with a little more clarity next time.

Secondly, this wasn't a case dangerous driving.
    I'm sure if the OP has reported it to AGS they will take the same opinion.

First off I wasn't pretending that you said anything.
    If you make a diffuse single sentence post it isn't unreasonable for me to make a assumption about that post.
    So you are now claiming my post was ambiguous, yet you felt qualified to decide what I meant and then agree with that?
    How does that work?
    Do you always recommend posts which you then freely admit you didn't understand in the first place?
    Instead of getting your knickers in a twist; maybe post with a little more clarity next time.
    You could just admit that you were too lazy to read the rest of the thread, where it was pretty obvious nobody was thinking the Gardai not even recording crimes was a good thing. That's why you are now so clueless about the context of my post. If you can, please show us where anybody has said the Gardai are too busy too be dealing with "trivial" cases like this.
    You won't.
    You might have a stab at some other nonsense but you still won't, but please do because entertainment is always welcome.
    Letting off your handbrake on a hill with a car right behind you isn't dangerous driving?
    Oh wait, this is all becoming clear now... you're an Irish traffic cop, right?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I have to strongly disagree with this also. How does letting your car roll down a hill backwards into another car and then fleeing the scene not constitute dangerous driving especially considering this happened outside a school where a child or parent could potentially have been in the path of the offending car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

zarquon wrote: »

I have to strongly disagree with this also. How does letting your car roll down a hill backwards into another car and then fleeing the scene not constitute dangerous driving especially considering this happened outside a school where a child or parent could potentially have been in the path of the offending car.

Exactly. Leaving the scene of any accident like that is a crime. Report her immediately. My guess is that she may not have been insured hence why she got out of there quickly.

Advertisement