Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchased a tablet via a book club but received wrong type

Options
  • 07-01-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Didn't know where to go as I'm a bit confused by situation so I said somebody may be able to help me here.

Somebody I know wanted to get 2 tablets for gifts for xmas for their kids. SO they asked me which ones would be ebst and I said to get Samsung, that they are very good and very popular. So the book club where they worked had some rep selling tablets in the run up to xmas, and his prices where very reasonable. Now he told all the folks that these tablets where Samsung and they would be delivered before xmas....

So all the folks buying the tablets bought these tablets and they where delivered at the last minute on say December 23rd... when they arrived they wheren't Samsung tablets, they where some cheap generic go-tab I think they are called.

Anyway even though they have latest Android release on them, the hardware is cheap and clunky and not what is to be expected for the price they paid.

Also I believe they have had the wool pulled over their eyes, some flash git thought he'd sell on these cheap android devices disguising them as Samsung... Is there anything we can do?

Like I reckon if we could get the money back the woman would gladly go to Harvey Normans and get 2 proper Samsung ones there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Samsung and Apple don't sell through door to door book club types.

Also, you will rarely see a big price difference between sellers of either brand.

You are entitled to a cooling down period of 7days, but that has passed, so you have to get them to agree that it was mis-sold.

I would contact the company directly - not the rep and if any grief say that you will have no issue going to the small claims court on the issue.

And finally NEVER believe what door to door sales people say whether they're seling a phone service or a book. They are in the main, liars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

dzilla wrote: »
    Didn't know where to go as I'm a bit confused by situation so I said somebody may be able to help me here.

Somebody I know wanted to get 2 tablets for gifts for xmas for their kids. SO they asked me which ones would be ebst and I said to get Samsung, that they are very good and very popular. So the book club where they worked had some rep selling tablets in the run up to xmas, and his prices where very reasonable. Now he told all the folks that these tablets where Samsung and they would be delivered before xmas....

So all the folks buying the tablets bought these tablets and they where delivered at the last minute on say December 23rd... when they arrived they wheren't Samsung tablets, they where some cheap generic go-tab I think they are called.

Anyway even though they have latest Android release on them, the hardware is cheap and clunky and not what is to be expected for the price they paid.

Also I believe they have had the wool pulled over their eyes, some flash git thought he'd sell on these cheap android devices disguising them as Samsung... Is there anything we can do?

Like I reckon if we could get the money back the woman would gladly go to Harvey Normans and get 2 proper Samsung ones there

Did they get a receipt with their purchase? If so find out who the person was working for and complain directly.

It may be the case that it was just one person who imported from china and sold them off at a profit - if so you might be hard pressed to get any satisfaction.

Always use reputable suppliers when buying products like this. Not only for the fact that you get what you asked for but if anything were to go wrong down the line you would also be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ok thank you for your help.

Just to add I didn't buy these I wouldn't buy off these types I'm just making the enquiry on behalf of somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

sandin wrote: »
    And finally NEVER believe what door to door sales people say whether they're seling a phone service or a book. They are in the main, liars.

That's a bit harsh,considering the OP stated that the purchaser bought the tablets through a book club at their place of employment.

I would imagine that the book club would be the friends first port of call.

If they have had regular contact with this company (calling to workplace) I'm sure they would want to sort out this issue.

Your friend may find that the book club were not involved in the actual sale of these samsung like devices and if they were you can be sure that they did not instruct the rep to sell them as samsung tablets.

It may also be possible that the person buying the tablets thought ...you've seen one you've seen them all.... applied to purchasing a tablet.

I hope they get this sorted out.

Advertisement