Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloakroom Loss

Options
  • 07-01-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently attended a Club and placed my new jacket worth £120 in their cloakroom for £1.50. I recieved a ticket which I kept and when I queued up at the end of the night to retrieve it back I noticed that most of the customers in the queue were going in to the cloakroom to look for their jackets as the club had messed up the ticketing system. I was told to do the same yet my coat was not there. There was however a scruffy coat left at the end of the night that was similar to mine so either someone had taken mine by mistake or they just stole it because mine was a nicer jacket.

The club have said they will reimburse me for the cost of the coat which I am happy about but where do I stand with items left in the coat pockets? They are saying that they are not liable yet there were no signs up to say items in pockets are left at customers risk.

The item is only worth £60 and I wouldn't be too bothered but it has been lost due to their negligence by letting people just choose a coat at the end of the night even though people were given tickets. Surely they have a right to look after people's belongings.

Can someone tell me where I stand on this please? I would like full reimbursement and have receipts to prove purchases.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I recently attended a Club and placed my new jacket worth £120 in their cloakroom for £1.50. I recieved a ticket which I kept and when I queued up at the end of the night to retrieve it back I noticed that most of the customers in the queue were going in to the cloakroom to look for their jackets as the club had messed up the ticketing system. I was told to do the same yet my coat was not there. There was however a scruffy coat left at the end of the night that was similar to mine so either someone had taken mine by mistake or they just stole it because mine was a nicer jacket.

The club have said they will reimburse me for the cost of the coat which I am happy about but where do I stand with items left in the coat pockets? They are saying that they are not liable yet there were no signs up to say items in pockets are left at customers risk.

The item is only worth £60 and I wouldn't be too bothered but it has been lost due to their negligence by letting people just choose a coat at the end of the night even though people were given tickets. Surely they have a right to look after people's belongings.

Can someone tell me where I stand on this please? I would like full reimbursement and have receipts to prove purchases.

I think they are right.
    Also you would find it hard to prove it was actually in your pocket even with proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Sounds right to me, imo its a bit silly to leave valuables in your pockets. Its a cloakroom, not a safety deposit service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

OP you paid to store your coat, not the items in your pocket.

Most clubs wouldn't even pay for a new jacket and would have some sort of notice of a maximum liability which would be very low such as €50 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

how would you prove it was in your pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The issue is the contract entered into was for your coat rather than anything else. To answer some of the other points;

Some places would not replace the jacket - well they'd need a pretty obvious sign and that would need to be brought to the attention of the OP. Exclusion clauses are strictly construed and notice has to be given.

Proof something was in the pocket - not really up to the OP to prove it was in there. If it becomes one word against the other the court would decide who is credible it's not a case the OP has to prove the item was there before he can claim it was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement