Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuity IRA threat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The thing that actually struck me most when I read this article was
    The lessons of Irish history teach us that as long as the British presence remains in Ireland, there will always be those who oppose it by whatever means necessary.

"The war is not over – it will only be over when every last British soldier is driven from our shores.

Who do these people think they represent? Have they gone house to house and asked what the people of our island want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Who do these people think they represent? Have they gone house to house and asked what the people of our island want?

Very very few Irish people support this silliness but I am keen to know more about the spokesman?

What happened to make him so hateful, did his father not love him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

In Full
    DISSIDENT republicans have issued a chilling threat to Irish people serving in the British armed forces and warned that they are a "legitimate target" for the Continuity IRA.
    The threat was made openly in Limerick city on behalf of the Continuity IRA yesterday and in front of gardai.
    The warning to Irish men and women serving in the British military, which came at an annual Sean South commemoration, was issued on behalf of Continuity IRA prisoners in Portaoise prison.
    The event was organised by Republican Sinn Fein (RSF) and took place at the republican plot at Mount Saint Lawrence cemetery in the city.
    The threat comes less than a month after the Irish Independent revealed that gardai in Limerick had foiled a Continuity IRA plot to murder a British soldier on a visit home to the city over Christmas.
    Michael Kiely, from Corbally, Limerick, read the Continuity IRA statement in front of 60 people at Sean South's graveside.
    Mr Kiely said: "We have seen from recent years that in this city of Limerick that Irishmen are considering a career in the British army – the same British army that holds six of our counties.
    "Whether they are motivated by financial reasons or a sense of adventurism, we take this opportunity to say that the moment you don a British uniform, you become a legitimate target for the IRA."
    'Targets'
    Mr Kiely also warned that police officers serving in the North are also "legitimate targets".
    He added: "The lessons of Irish history teach us that as long as the British presence remains in Ireland, there will always be those who oppose it by whatever means necessary.
    "The war is not over – it will only be over when every last British soldier is driven from our shores."
    Officers kept a close watch on participants of the Republican Sinn Fein parade through Limerick before the threat was made at the cemetery.
    They gathered initially at Bedford Row in the city at 2pm and were led by a piper and nine men in paramilitary uniform through the city centre.
    Participants marched along Henry Street, Sarsfield Street, William Street, Mulgrave Street and on to the cemetery.
    The event takes place each January and is closely monitored by gardai.
    Yesterday's open threat comes after a British soldier – who is in his 20s and from Limerick – could not travel home to his family for Christmas after gardai learnt that the Continuity IRA intended to kill him.
    Gardai also learnt of a prior threat against the same soldier last August.

He should have been arrested, even if he is a bit slow.

In Full
    He should have been arrested, even if he is a bit slow.

That's a good point, should the Guards not move on him, does Ireland have a law against inciting hatred

• Registered Users Posts: 26 midlands paranormal researcher

if these so called soldiers of ireland want to do something for this country......stop BUYING arms and give the money to the people of ireland..... sorry meant to say "our shores"
    how much is to buy AK47s in bulk now,1. arms dearler 2. shipping 3. vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Winty wrote: »
    That's a good point, should the Guards not move on him, does Ireland have a law against inciting hatred

He may be hiding behind the notion that it wasn't his words, but that he only read the statement on the behalf of incarcerated CIRA members.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Winty wrote: »
    Very very few Irish people support this silliness but I am keen to know more about the spokesman?

What happened to make him so hateful, did his father not love him?

Indeed - I don't think he was hugged enough as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Some criminal thug issues a death threat in Limerick, what's new?.

So why is this thread in the Politics forum.

Apart from the fact that our politicians don't seem to have the balls to take these vermin on in a serious way I wouldn't give them the recognition they seek to discuss them under a political banner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Palmach

wilson10 wrote: »
    Some criminal thug issues a death threat in Limerick, what's new?.

Apart from the fact that our politicians don't seem to have the balls to take these vermin on in a serious way I wouldn't give them the recognition they seek to discuss them under a political banner.

What more do you suggest they do? Have you evidence that they are not using the full rigour of the law to prevent these people from carrying out terrorist acts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He may be hiding behind the notion that it wasn't his words, but that he only read the statement on the behalf of incarcerated CIRA members.

The PSNI hauled marion price back to jail for the same thing? Although she was a convicted IRA member released on licence at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Palmach wrote: »
    What more do you suggest they do? Have you evidence that they are not using the full rigour of the law to prevent these people from carrying out terrorist acts?

Well for a start this Michael Kiely guy should locked up awaiting trial for incitement to murder, and if they are constrained within the rigours of the law then maybe the law needs changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well for a start this Michael Kiely guy should locked up awaiting trial for incitement to murder, and if they are constrained within the rigours of the law then maybe the law needs changing.

I would like this clarified. I would believe that repeating a death threat in public on behalf of the IRA, is in fact a death threat. Outside of legalities it is clearly a death threat.

In fact, if you repeat IRA threats loudly to IRA supporters then that is clearly incitement to hatred, is it not???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

The PSNI hauled marion price back to jail for the same thing? Although she was a convicted IRA member released on licence at the time.

I'm not that knowledgeable on the issue, but the fact she was on license from prison is the big difference here. She was put in jail for breaking parole conditions.

The charges were dismissed for the implied incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Palmach

Nice attitude to freedom of speech. Let him talk. When his ilk are in the open we can see who is who. Furthermore having read his statement I am sure there is enough wiggle room for him to get away with beating any rap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From the article;
    Participants marched along Henry Street, Sarsfield Street, William Street, Mulgrave Street and on to the cemetery.
    I'd say anyone photographed there would find it difficult getting a visa to the States.

My OP was Who is Michael Kiely, from Corbally, Limerick the mouth of the CIRA, is he a politician or affiliated to any party?

Is he a politician hence the post in politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Palmach wrote: »
    Nice attitude to freedom of speech. Let him talk. When his ilk are in the open we can see who is who. Furthermore having read his statement I am sure there is enough wiggle room for him to get away with beating any rap.

There are rightly , limits to freedom of expression, nobody has the right to openly threaten the life or wellbeing of another. Freedom of expression is moderated by law in the interest of the common good, in the same way as a person calling openly for violence against immigrants would be arrested so should this man.

• Administrators Posts: 54,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

awec wrote: »
    The Gardaí need to nip this nonsense in the bud. Give them and the IDF the resources and let them tackle these gangsters.
    Intern the "speaker" for max period of time (without charge) under the terrorism act each and every time may make them reconsider this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Jesus how anybody in their right minds could support someone who spouts such vile nonsense is truly beyond me.Should definitely be at least hauled in by the Gardai and questioned at length over these threats.Disgraceful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

awec wrote: »
    The Gardaí need to nip this nonsense in the bud. Give them and the IDF the resources and let them tackle these gangsters.

That's a great idea, the IDF would sort them blaggards out quicksmart:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

There are rightly , limits to freedom of expression, nobody has the right to openly threaten the life or wellbeing of another. Freedom of expression is moderated by law in the interest of the common good, in the same way as a person calling openly for violence against immigrants would be arrested so should this man.

Why do you always bring immigration into things? :confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So death threats were issued by the IRA against PSNI members, at a commemoration of an IRA member who was killed while attacking an RUC barracks.

But apparently Seán South is a hero, while the dissidents are thugs.

I'm sure it all makes sense to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭sure joe

the_syco wrote: »
    Intern the "speaker" for max period of time (without charge) under the terrorism act each and every time may make them reconsider this.
    good idea, what they really need to spark off a recruitment drive

Don't forget RSF have an unbroken link to the 1918 dail and therefore feel they can legitimately declare war on British forces and those they believe to be aiding them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Republican Sinn Fein were invited to a commemoration of Col Gaddafi and refused because they felt it would to be controversial, forgetting that there brand of legitimist Militarist Republican has much less of a following in Ireland than that man who like him or hate gave his country the highest human development level in Africa and was boldly independent of both the Soviets and the US. They are space cadets; to be honest Im much less a fan of O'Bradaigh than I am of Adams.

However the point you raised could be equally applied to the Fenians and the United Irishman. Oscar do you want denigrate the whole of Ireland's struggle for national liberation?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So death threats were issued by the IRA against PSNI members, at a commemoration of an IRA member who was killed while attacking an RUC barracks.

But apparently Seán South is a hero, while the dissidents are thugs.

I'm sure it all makes sense to someone.

Duzzer wrote: »
    Don't forget RSF have an unbroken link to the 1918 dail and therefore feel they can legitimately declare war on British forces and those they believe to be aiding them.
    Yeah, one election a century should be enough for anyone.
    However the point you raised could be equally applied to the Fenians and the United Irishman.
    Yup.
    Oscar do you want denigrate the whole of Ireland's struggle for national liberation?
    Goodness, no. Just the violent parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭sure joe

Yeah, one election a century should be enough for anyone.

Yup. Goodness, no. Just the violent parts.
    just about all of it. though you do know the british were the aggressors

Does that include the war of Independence?

The limited Independence that the south gained- and please remember that British rule was much worse in the south than in what is now Northern Ireland- was gained by the gun.

Do you want the Monto back?

• Advertisement

Yeah, one( all Ireland) election a century should be enough for anyone.

That's better.

Does that include the war of Independence?
    Of course.
    The limited Independence that the south gained- and please remember that British rule was much worse in the south than in what is now Northern Ireland- was gained by the gun.
    Post hoc, ergo propter hoc is a logical fallacy. The fact that something was achieved through violence in no way proves that it could only have been achieved through violence.
    Do you want the Monto back?
    Now why would I want that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭HoggyRS

The thing that actually struck me most when I read this article was

Did you read what he said? "There will always be those who oppose it by whatever means necessary". He's not saying everyone will but there will be people who oppose it such as RSF. They're well aware they are a minority.

Do you expect all political groups to only cater to what the majority want? Thats not a realistic prospect.

Of course. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc is a logical fallacy. The fact that something was achieved through violence in no way proves that it could only have been achieved through violence. Now why would I want that?

WOW.

The fact that Britain continually denied mere Home Rule to Ireland against the wishes of its people seems to be missed on you. The Monto was a perfect symbol of what British rule was in southern Ireland- only removed when Dev came to power and started to do something about clearing the slums, etc in the teeth of a Roman Catholic Hierarchy drawn from the upper and upper middle class and screams of "Communist!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Love the way all the muppets wearing military clothing pictured in the press are dressed in old British Army combat jackets!!

Love the way all the muppets wearing military clothing pictured in the press are dressed in old British Army combat jackets!!

Its only a surprise they wern't wearing their Man Utd tops, the noobs.
    These criminal gangs need to be dealt with, organized crime requires tougher state action than has happened so far.

• Advertisement

I would like to see Sinn Fein campaign for a ban on people from Northern Ireland joining the British Army.

How did you prove this?

Its only a surprise they wern't wearing their Man Utd tops, the noobs.
    These criminal gangs need to be dealt with, organized crime requires tougher state action than has happened so far.

Who are you saying are criminals?

Thugs who dress up like terrorists and threaten to kill people who dont do as they say...RSF/CIRA/RIRA/UVF/UDA etc etc etc
    They represent nothing but their own blood lust and personal hunger for pqwer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I would like to see Sinn Fein campaign for a ban on people from Northern Ireland joining the British Army.

Why?

• Advertisement

Technically membership of the CIRA is illegal.

Whether it should be is another question.

I dont think they have anything to offer- and they have the potential to lead decent patriotic young people who are not thinking to prison or even worse.

That said you also have to question why isnt joining a foreign army a crime in the Republic, particularly one that has done such horrible things in Ireland?

Why?

Because it would be a very important step towards national freedom and would save Irish lives.

Because the British Army, not only its presence but the influence that serving in it exerted, has been very negative on the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Because it would be a very important step towards national freedom and would save Irish lives.

Because the British Army, not only its presence but the influence that serving in it exerted, has been very negative on the north.

What business is it of yours what people decide to do as their career?

Given that your effectively supporting making the CIRA a legal organization in your other post i shouldnt be surprised your spouting such nonsense.

Technically membership of the CIRA is illegal. Nothing "Technical" about it

Whether it should be is another question. Not really after all it is an organized criminal gang!

I dont think they have anything to offer- and they have the potential to lead decent patriotic young people who are not thinking to prison or even worse.
    I fail to see how joining a criminal gang can be viewed as Patriotic

That said you also have to question why isnt joining a foreign army a crime in the Republic, particularly one that has done such horrible things in Ireland?
    Any Irish citizen should be free to take up employment in any other state of the EU, and why not, the Irish Defence Forces are not recruiting.

What business is it of yours what people decide to do as their career?

Given that your effectively supporting making the CIRA a legal organization in your other post i shouldnt be surprised your spouting such nonsense.

Where did I give effective support to it becoming legal?

I dont care much either way. I have no love at all for the CIRA.

Any Irish citizen should be free to take up employment in any other state of the EU, and why not, the Irish Defence Forces are not recruiting.

The British Army has and continues to cause a lot more unjust suffering in this world than the CIRA.

Not least in Ireland- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Reaction_Force .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe they should campaign to stop Irish people joining the Irish defence force at the same time.

Maybe they should campaign to stop Irish people joining the Irish defence force at the same time.

Why?

Thugs who dress up like terrorists and threaten to kill people who dont do as they say...RSF/CIRA/RIRA/UVF/UDA etc etc etc
    They represent nothing but their own blood lust and personal hunger for pqwer.

I thought you would have a certain amount of empathy for them considering you did some time yourself?

The British Army has and continues to cause a lot more unjust suffering in this world than the CIRA.

Not least in Ireland- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Reaction_Force .
    Whatever about the past, it certainly "does not continue to"!
    You live in the past if you want, the rest of us have moved on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement