Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the name of the pub in Little Bray?

• 07-01-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

The one where the Raven gym/Costsutter etc are now at Ravenswell?
    I know it was the Pickled Pig when it burnt down, but what was it before that? Wracking my brains here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sunnybank

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Ahh, that was it, thanks a million!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

I'd love a list of pubs and what buildings they were in; the tartan, glenmalure, brewmaster etc. The buildings previous uses on bray main street and surrounds are fascinating. What about the Cripples Home or the dower house to Killruddery? (great vid about the dower house on youtube linked from the last page of the haunted areas in bray thread.)

Also has anyone a link to a map of bray circa 1900, before the estates grew and it still was a town of large houses and gardens. Did you know that at one stage where herbert pk stands was the council tip? I'd love to know what stood before and disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Did you know that at one stage where herbert pk stands was the council tip? I'd love to know what stood before and disappeared.

Interesting. I for one certainly didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

The Tartan became the brewmaster which is now Eddie Rockets
    The Glenmalure is now the olde bray inn.

What was the name of the restaurant that was in between Dawson and the Bray head hotel?

• Advertisement

The Tartan became the brewmaster which is now Eddie Rockets
    The Glenmalure is now the olde bray inn.

What was the name of the restaurant that was in between Dawson and the Bray head hotel?

No

Vodafone is where the glenmalure was.

Are you talking about the Tree of idleness?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What pub was where the irish nationwide is now?

I think it might have been the Eagle House but I'm not certain.

Terry Pratchet

No

Vodafone is where the glenmalure was.

Are you talking about the Tree of idleness?

Forgot about the pub there.

The Tree of idleness was further down. The one I am thinking of was in a ranshakle state and was right beside the Bray head hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Forgot about the pub there.

The Tree of idleness was further down. The one I am thinking of was in a ranshakle state and was right beside the Bray head hotel.

I remember that place, run by a mad Italian. He'd stand on the table and sing whilst you were eating. Great times!!

• Advertisement

That is the one. Now what was it called?

The Eagle house, was it not the original Jim Doyles on the road beside the Martello?

The Irish nationwide building was it Mastersons?

was it the bridge tavern or something like that?

Terry Pratchet

In 1870 it was the Anchor tavern, Which was owned by a Mrs Mason who was one of the first people to cross the bridge on its official opening

source: Bray did you Know.

Thats a really good facebook page,some great stories on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

was it the bridge tavern or something like that?
    bridge bar at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

loobylou wrote: »
    I remember that place, run by a mad Italian. He'd stand on the table and sing whilst you were eating. Great times!!

If it was the Italian restaurant that was in there, the owner was actually Egyptian. He also owned an Italian restaurant in Patrick Street in Dun Laoghaire at the same time.

It was the italian,

Can anyone remember its Name??

Also where was The Neptune?

There demolishing Dawsons at the moment; has anyone a picture of the original Dawsons?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

loobylou wrote: »

Was that place called "Marios"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I remember there was about 20 pubs in Bray! God how things have changed. Lenihans, the Brewmaster, The Glenmaure, McCormicks all gone. Of the pubs that are left seems only the select few on the beach and one or two on the main street still doing some business. Wonder why things changed so much? Was it the price increases in pubs? Or just a change in the way people live now. I was always brought to the pub as a kid and given crisps and lemonade. Now when I bring my kids its for a meal and rarely do we have a drink as someone is to drive home (and put the kids to bed!) Or maybe its the cheap alchohol in the off licence.

Would be interesting to start a pub thread and give reviews on them for food and drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Kavanagh,s has opened back up, but its a coffee/food place, dont think they sell alcohol.

ronn wrote: »
    Kavanagh,s has opened back up, but its a coffee/food place, dont think they sell alcohol.
    didnt they ooen xmas day and lay on dinners for the homless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

ronn wrote: »

Its some sort of charity run place now

I didnt know that, pity it was a lovely pub, but lack of outside space / smoking area killed its use as a pub,good to see its got a new worthwhile use:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

A few more names from the 80s -

The Marine (had my first pint there)
    The Boomerang
    The Shillelagh
    The 19th Hole
    Katz
    The Missisippi Rooms

Imhof Tank wrote: »

The Boomerang
    The Shillelagh
    The 19th Hole
    Katz
    The Missisippi Rooms

The boomerang - still there
    The Shilelagh - is that Stacks or Goldsmiths?
    The rest - haven't a clue where they were

Terry Pratchet

Can someone put locations with the names please? Anyone have that picture of the original dawsons?

Imhof Tank wrote: »

The Boomerang
    The Shillelagh
    The 19th Hole
    Katz
    The Missisippi Rooms
    kats and then reflections almost sure they were where tha old bray is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Was the Tartan another name before the Brewmaster, the owners name maybe, something starting with F??
    I remember Reflections (Wine Bar/Disco Bar) on the Main St, the Cois Farraige on the seafront.
    What was the name of the pub further down towards Bray Head from the Cois on the corner of the road that leads up to Sidmonton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    the owners name maybe, something starting with F?
    The Tartan was owned by Eddie Meckin.

Advertisement