Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage when married

Options
  • 07-01-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering eventhough i am married can i apply for a mortgage on my own? my husband is unemployed so i dont think i would get one with him. i'm on a good salary and could afford to pay it of on my own.Can i apply as a sigle person?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

user37 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering eventhough i am married can i apply for a mortgage on my own? my husband is unemployed so i dont think i would get one with him. i'm on a good salary and could afford to pay it of on my own.Can i apply as a sigle person?

thanks

As far as I understand, once you are married (or even in a civil partnership), your other half has automatic property rights, and those rights are normally reflected in joint ownership of the property. From the bank's point of view it shouldn't make any difference, but from a legal point of view, his name should be on the title deeds alongside yours if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Most banks insist on both parties being on the mortgage, being unemployed is not really the issue but it just means your income must be sufficient to meet the lending criteria with an adult dependant.

Advertisement