Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy PS1 classics on the PSVita

Options
  • 07-01-2013 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I was looking to buy FF6 and FF8 for my vita. I know that ff6 had the horrible slow loading and that ff8 had some crap bugs in it. I was wondering if anyone had played them on a vita and know if those problems were fixed or would i just be wasting my money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I've been playing FF9 on my Vita and it's exactly the same as the original PS1 version, including loading times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS1 version of FF6 is particularly crap. The muic is ruined and it has loading times that kill the fast pace of the original game and make it a real slog. I'd say avoid it. Also if you are buying it from the EU store the game is slowed down further and the aspect ratio will be squashed.

The PS1 RPGs play the same as on the PS1. I'd recommend you don't get them from the EU store again because as with most PS1 games on it they are slowed down and have bordering that ruins the aspect ratio. The versions on the US store are far superior and play much better. These aren't bugs, the vast majority of european games until the current generation were slowed down and bordered to fit the resolution and framerate of european TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bleeding_souls

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PS1 version of FF6 is particularly crap. The muic is ruined and it has loading times that kill the fast pace of the original game and make it a real slog. I'd say avoid it. Also if you are buying it from the EU store the game is slowed down further and the aspect ratio will be squashed.

ff6 is slowed down even further :confused: i tried playing the ps1 version and had to stop because the loading just ruined the flow of the game, thought they might have fixed it a bit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ff6 is slowed down even further :confused: i tried playing the ps1 version and had to stop because the loading just ruined the flow of the game, thought they might have fixed it a bit

As I said EU games are slowed from 60 to 50 frames per second, it might not sound like much but it makes a big difference to how a game feels and plays and some games are ruined by it. It's a problem inherent to the original game and since you are just getting an image of the original game it will have all the same problems associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Iv'e been playing FFIX & FFVIII on my Vita and they are AMAZING! Just like when i played them on PS3/PS1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You can't have more than 1 profile on a Vita easily so just get it on the EU store or you'll be have to go thought some effort each time you want to swap between the PS1 game and anything else on your account.

It's not that bad as long as you have two memory cards and definitely worth it if you want to play a lot of PS1 games.

It's not that bad as long as you have two memory cards and definitely worth it if you want to play a lot of PS1 games.

You still need an internet connection to activate it and the memory cards are not cheap for the vita.

Varik wrote: »
    You still need an internet connection to activate it and the memory cards are not cheap for the vita.

Went looking for a 32GB card today. Walked out of the shop after being told the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,374 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anytime I even consider a vita, the memory card completely sway me against the idea.

What an absolute balls up.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Anytime I even consider a vita, the memory card completely sway me against the idea.

What an absolute balls up.

They are worth it though, especially if you have a lot of PSP digital games. I have the majority of mine on a US account so swapping cards isn't an issue really, just need to beat my EU ones so I don't have to go near that card again :) PSP games look absolutely glorious on the Vita screen and it's got a decent selection of games on it now.

They are worth it though, especially if you have a lot of PSP digital games. I have the majority of mine on a US account so swapping cards isn't an issue really, just need to beat my EU ones so I don't have to go near that card again :) PSP games look absolutely glorious on the Vita screen and it's got a decent selection of games on it now.

So, better off buying two of the cheapest cards I can if I eventually make the plunge?

So, better off buying two of the cheapest cards I can if I eventually make the plunge?

If you are planning on buying a lot of digital stuff I'd say no because the 4GB cards fill up really fast.

If you have PS+ then a big card is essential.

If you are planning on buying a lot of digital stuff I'd say no because the 4GB cards fill up really fast.

If you have PS+ then a big card is essential.

Where are all the third-party cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Memory Cards are stupidly expensive but if you have PS+ and are getting most of your Vita content (like me) for free its well worth it. I haven't bought a retail game for the Vita yet!

em... i think this thread might have gone off-topic a little

Where are all the third-party cards?

Sony has copy protection on them so they can't be copied. The cards are much cheaper from Hong Kong on ebay but you'll wait a while to get them and they still are severely overpriced compared to other flash media.

ask and you shall recieve http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/01/21/huge-final-fantasy-sale-starts-on-playstation-store-this-week/#more-107757 :D

thinking of getting 8 and tactics anyway, maybe 1 and 2 as well

No FF III, only one I'm missing.

Advertisement