Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good schools in Dublin for advanced Guitar lessons?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 1:44pm

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good school in Dublin or surrounding sprawl for Intermediate/advanced level Blues/Blues-rock/Jazz guitar lessons. I've been playing guitar about 18 years, mainly blues and other genres strongly influenced by the blues, but I'm self taught, and lately I've hit a wall in terms of both improvement and (as a result) interest, and I'm looking for a good place to get lessons in Blues/Jazz lead and chordwork to freshen things up.

Influences are The "3 Kings", Chuck Berry, SRV, Hendrix, Peter Green, John Mayer and a good few more.

I had looked at X-Music academy, and intend on giving them a call, but i'd appreciate any oppinions eitherway before i do, or any other recommendations people might have of good places to go. I'd like to stick to a "bricks and mortar" school or institution if possible, rather than a "this guy i know" scenario, as I'd like to be sure of getting accredited teachers who not only have the playing skill to help me but also the theory and teaching ability.

Any suggestions?

Comments

Anybody??

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

A friend of mine teaches in the xmusic academy, Conor McGouran. I went to him for lessons before and he will CERTAINLY take your playing to new levels if you do the work. The guy knows everything about everything, and can impart it flawlessly, but remains humble and likeable

Another mate Darren Loughran teaches in a place in Ashbourne. Another incredible musician and while I haven't formally had lessons, what stuff he has shown me he imparted impeccably.

hth

A friend of mine teaches in the xmusic academy, Conor McGouran...

He's undoubtedly a fantastic guitarist, but isn't he more metal and shred?

Can he switch styles and teach blues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Try Mike Brookfield. He's really good and suits the styles you mentioned - blues, jazz etc. I'd highly recommend him.

http://www.mikebrookfieldguitar.com

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Try Mike Brookfield. He's really good and suits the styles you mentioned - blues, jazz etc. I'd highly recommend him.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

A friend of mine teaches in the xmusic academy, Conor McGouran. I went to him for lessons before and he will CERTAINLY take your playing to new levels if you do the work. The guy knows everything about everything, and can impart it flawlessly, but remains humble and likeable

Another mate Darren Loughran teaches in a place in Ashbourne. Another incredible musician and while I haven't formally had lessons, what stuff he has shown me he imparted impeccably.

hth

+1 Both lads are great. As far as your concern about Conor's style he is just as capable in Blues type genres as he is in Metal and Shred. If you want to check out some of his stuff look at The Harleys videos on youtube. He really is versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

Seconded on Conor. He can do everything and do it better than most :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Great teacher, fantastic guy and big into blues and jazz, cant go wrong with mike, given your interests.

Great teacher, fantastic guy and big into blues and jazz, cant go wrong with mike, given your interests.

Yeah i took a look at some of his videos and testimonials online, he has a lovely playing style and many of the same influences i do. I'll definitely be getting in touch there.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Yeah i took a look at some of his videos and testimonials online, he has a lovely playing style and many of the same influences i do. I'll definitely be getting in touch there.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I was referred to mike by another member of this site, so the circle keeps on turning;)

You won't regret it;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

Do you know if he teaches jazz? Any contact details - I can't find anything on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mydingaling

There is a guy called Chris Ledwedge who is a full time guitar instructor.
    I was in the same boat, playing years but hit a wall as far as progressing was concerned. Now I am flying! I play acoustic blues and am now getting much better at fingerstyle. He is very good.
    PM me if you want his number. He is based in Castleknock by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 neilspost2

There is a guy called Chris Ledwedge who is a full time guitar instructor.
    I was in the same boat, playing years but hit a wall as far as progressing was concerned. Now I am flying! I play acoustic blues and am now getting much better at fingerstyle. He is very good.
    PM me if you want his number. He is based in Castleknock by the way.

Hi would you mind pm'ing me on chris' no please.

Advertisement