Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a new exterior front door

• 07-01-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I need to get someone to install a new exterior front door. Is this a job for a carpenter? Any ideas how much this would cost? Any recommendations? I am in the Meath area. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭my user name

anyone anyone bueller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

usually for external doors , its window/glazing companies that you go to looking for quotes, they would have their own fitters that they would use.

I wouldnt have a clue of prices, but i reccomend you ring round a few places and get them to come out and quote you. Its worth getting a good fitter as chances are there will will be areas where the old door was removed that will need touching up etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Get uPVC foam filled. Comes with the frame and seals well. Wood doors are useless, leak air, swell and warp, need painting and rot!

That said if you still want one its a days work to fit the frame and the door. Pay no more than €120 (a days work these days) and get some that is recommended. Some awful carpenters out there ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

If it's a timber door any local carpenter will do it. No idea what they charge.
    Where you bought the door should have someone they'll recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

cgarrad wrote: »
    Wood doors are useless, leak air, swell and warp, need painting and rot!

a bit of a sweeping statement there now :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hitchens wrote: »
    a bit of a sweeping statement there now :confused:
    I agree the same statement applies to crap upvc doors.
    A high quality wood door properly maintained would be excellent, unfortunatly its in the maintenance that alot of people let it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I got a quote from Kellistown Glass in Carlow for a new compsite (securer than PVC) front door. I dont think its breaching any rules to share it, its a good quote. Granted I did not go ahead with it, because I was able to fix my own front door, so I might get another year or two out of it.

The door first of all, I dont have a link, but it was a fairly stylish blue door with 4 small square windows down the side of it, off centre. These can be obfuscated, but I chose to have them clear. I had a look at the door in the shop, and it looked very secure, thick and solid. The door I have at the moment you could easily kick in, its a bit of a joke. Purchase and fitting, (all plastering etc completed) was €850. In my opinion well worth it.

Kellistown glass might not suit you because they are in the Carlow area(or they might?) But Senator or whoever will give you a supply and fit quote that should be around this price. If you can afford it I would suggest getting a composite door if you can afford it and getting it fitted by the supplier.

Price should be around the €600-€800 mark all inclusive(supply and fit). Mine was an expensive style of door.

Other option is to go down the route my mate went down. Keep an eye on adverts.ie. When a second hand wood front door comes up buy it. Get a carpenter to fit it to the existing frame of your door. It won’t look nice, be half as secure and will be draughty etc, but it will be a hell of allot cheaper.

Door : €100-€200
    Carpenter : €100-€200
    depending if your existing frame suits, and the second hand door can be cut accordingly to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

Pendico window company. I found them good. Ill pm number if u want?

Advertisement