Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM upgrade problem.

Options
  • 07-01-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought some RAM (2 x 4GB) to upgrade my current laptop (Asus x52F) from 4gb to 8 gb. All research says that this is possible and the memory I chose was selected by the Memoryc.ie websites configurator.

When I install the memory, the laptop powers on but nothing else. Black screen. Any ideas where the problem might be?

Thanks.

n.b. I recently upgraded my harddrive to a 1tb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Check that the ram is seated correctly.
    Try one stick at a time to make sure neither is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

yes, it is seated correctly. If I try and mix and match with one old and one new I still get the same error.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

Try to check on a different website configurator to double check that you have the correct type of memory
    There is a good one on
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/

This is what Crucial recommends:

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
    DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT1442463
    (0 Ratings)

This is what I bought:

4GB Integral DDR3 SO-DIMM 1066MHz (PC3-8500) laptop memory module CL7
    Item number: 13091
    Mfr. PN: IN3V4GNYBGX
    4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM laptop memory module · 1066MHz PC3-8500 · CL7, 1.5V · 204 pins · Single memory module

I can't see a difference here but I am not very tech savy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Replace the old RAM and see if there is a bios update available for the machine would be my advice

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

Swampy wrote: »
    This is what Crucial recommends:

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
    DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT1442463
    (0 Ratings)

This is what I bought:

4GB Integral DDR3 SO-DIMM 1066MHz (PC3-8500) laptop memory module CL7
    Item number: 13091
    Mfr. PN: IN3V4GNYBGX
    4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM laptop memory module · 1066MHz PC3-8500 · CL7, 1.5V · 204 pins · Single memory module

I can't see a difference here but I am not very tech savy.

Yoyo is right, try the bios upgrade. If it does not work return the memory to memoryc.
    I has similar issues with a samsung notepad, although the type was correct it would not boot.
    Had to buy memory from a different manufacturer to get it working

Would recommend crucial, never had any issues with memory from them

smpillai11 wrote: »
    Yes, try the bios upgrade. Else return the memory to memoryc.
    I has similar issues with a samsung notepad, although the type was correct it would not boot.

Would recommend crucial, never had any issues with memory from them

If the RAM has been opened and isn't faulty you may have issues returning it. I reckon it should work, bios upgrade wouldn't do any harm anyways..

Nick

Hi all,

Quick update. I returned the original RAM to memoryc and they gave me a refund no problem. Got the next compatible RAM they offered me and it works perfectly. The only difference I could see between the two is that the RAM I am using now is CL9 instead of CL7 I had previously tried. Don't know if that means anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick update. I returned the original RAM to memoryc and they gave me a refund no problem. Got the next compatible RAM they offered me and it works perfectly. The only difference I could see between the two is that the RAM I am using now is CL9 instead of CL7 I had previously tried. Don't know if that means anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Different speed ratings, I reckon you got two faulty modules. Good all is fine now though :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

Given the guy's saying he's not that tech savvy, is flashing a new BIOS really a good idea? I'd say just stick with the returned RAM :)

• Advertisement

Given the guy's saying he's not that tech savvy, is flashing a new BIOS really a good idea? I'd say just stick with the returned RAM :)

I reckon if someone can install Laptop RAM flashing the bios would be ok. In most cases it is safe enough, once you follow all precautions. Some bios revisions are seriously buggy and in some cases even for stability reasons should be updated.

Nick

Advertisement