If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re Denon AVR1612 & DTS-HD 1.0 / 2.0

Options
  • 07-01-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind me asking for some help with my Denon AVR1612.

The reciever doesn't seem to recognise DTS-HD 1.0 OR 2.0 audio tracks on some blurays. Of the 6 or 7 blurays I've tried only once did DTS-HD appear on the display. It only seems to be an issue with the DTS-HD 1.0 or 2.0, have not had any problems with DTS-HD 5.1 audio tracks.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Great reciever btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Hi Guys,

Any advice on this?

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

jh79 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

The reciever doesn't seem to recognise DTS-HD 1.0 OR 2.0 audio tracks on some blurays. Of the 6 or 7 blurays I've tried only once did DTS-HD appear on the display. It only seems to be an issue with the DTS-HD 1.0 or 2.0, have not had any problems with DTS-HD 5.1 audio tracks.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Great reciever btw
    Jh,

Apologies for the delay - I've emailed Denon on this as it's a weirdo one - I'll chase them again for a response and revert asap..

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Guys,

Any advice?

Thanks,

Great reciever btw
    JH,

this is from the boffins at Denon HQ,

[size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]“The receiver doesn't seem to recognise DTS-HD1.0 OR 2.0 audio tracks on some blurays.”[/font][/size]

Ohwow a super interesting enquiry – I checked with our engineers both here in the UK and with Germany…

…no-oneseems to have heard of DTS- HD 1.0 in our teams and they can’t understand why anything would be encoded in such a format.

Howeverif the format exists, then as our DSP chipset in the AMP is 100% DTS Master Audio Certified then the format would be playable.

Thespecification of DTS Master Audio can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audioand I have attached the spec sheets for the format also.

Iactually called DTS head office there, as well just to be sure.

Theysaid that they have never published a format called DTS- Master Audio 1.0, but that technically speaking through the encoding software, there would be nothing to stop a production company from producing a mono feed of one channel.

Whatthey did also confirm was that as our chipsets have been tested and scrutinized to the highest level of certification, that if the disc does not play – its because the disc will not have been encoded correctly.

[size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Of the 6 or 7 blurays I've tried only once didDTS-HD appear on the display. It only seems to be an issue with the DTS-HD 1.0 or 2.0, have not had any problems with DTS-HD 5.1 audio tracks.[/font][/size]

Not all discs are encoded in DTS, or in DTSMaster Audio 5.1?   Some are in other formats like Dolby True HD as well.

'Acommon misconception'.. 'with some' experienced users is that they tend to become fixated with one or other format.

Someusers are adamant that everything is encoded in Dolby Digital and others are convinced that everything is formatted in DTS.

What we would need to do is tofind out more details of the disc(s) in order that we can ascertain just exactly what is going on with the disc format.

Can you please ask the customerto contact us directly, using support team via the FAQ – Contact us - system or on the phone @04890 279 830 option 3.

Does that help?

Thanks

That was from Jonny Weston @ D & M European HQ - I'd suggest giving them a shout directly (you can say I sent ya :) ) and they will prob need either info on the discs or the actual discs themselves to check them out! 

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for getting back to me,

DTS-HD 1.0 & 2.0 are definitely down as audio tracks on some of my blurays. They tend to be old horror films from the 70/80's. Maybe it is a marketing thing. Rolling Thunder was the bluray in which the DTS-HD 1.0 track was recognised. Dracula from the Universal Monsters box set claims to have this track but the Denon avr1612 doesn't see it.

By the way my LG bluray player is able to output these tracks (DTS-HD 1.0 OR 2.0 appears in the on screen audio menu) so I should be able to get the lossless audio using the direct option on the receiver?

Will send Denon a list of blu rays I've experienced this with out of curiosity.

Thanks,

JH79

Thanks for getting back to me,

DTS-HD 1.0 & 2.0 are definitely down as audio tracks on some of my blurays. They tend to be old horror films from the 70/80's. Maybe it is a marketing thing. Rolling Thunder was the bluray in which the DTS-HD 1.0 track was recognised. Dracula from the Universal Monsters box set claims to have this track but the Denon avr1612 doesn't see it.

By the way my LG bluray player is able to output these tracks (DTS-HD 1.0 OR 2.0 appears in the on screen audio menu) so I should be able to get the lossless audio using the direct option on the receiver?

Will send Denon a list of blu rays I've experienced this with out of curiosity.

Thanks,

JH79
    I'd give Jonny at Denon Towers a shout - he's an anorak so he will honestly be really interested in this and hopefully it'll increase all our general fonts of knowledge for the future..

..Keep me posted,

John mc

• Advertisement

Just to update on this issue, it seems all Denon receivers have trouble recognising some DTS-HD 1.0 and 2.0 audio tracks. Denon say this due to to incorrect mastering. Distributers whose blurays I have encountered this problem with include Synapse, Anchor Bay, Optimum, Severin and Universal Pictures. Maybe worth bearing in mind if a fan of older cult movies.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Just to update on this issue, it seems all Denon receivers have trouble recognising some DTS-HD 1.0 and 2.0 audio tracks. Denon say this due to to incorrect mastering. Distributers whose blurays I have encountered this problem with include Synapse, Anchor Bay, Optimum, Severin and Universal Pictures. Maybe worth bearing in mind if a fan of older cult movies.
    Hey jh79.

Thanks for the update on the receiver and the problematic blurays. Its always good to have this kind of info should we need it in the future.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.