Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the IT job sector like in the US?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

As the title says I'm looking to find out from people who have first hand experience of living and working in the states how the IT sector is looking at present. I currently work in Ireland as a senior software test engineer and am interested in relocating to the states, possibly NY/Chicago/California but would be open to other areas as well

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The IT job market doesn't seem to bad these days. Nothing like what it was before but certainly growing.

Do you have the papers to look for work over here or are you hoping to get sponsorship ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Ponster wrote: »
    The IT job market doesn't seem to bad these days. Nothing like what it was before but certainly growing.

Do you have the papers to look for work over here or are you hoping to get sponsorship ?

I don't have any papers sorted yet however the company I am currently employed by have a number of offices over there so it could be possible to get transferred if the right position came along

Do you know which recruitment sites would be good to check out? I've no idea what level of salary jobs are offering in comparison to here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The IT and Software sector are thriving in the US, however, this also means that the standard for really good positions is super high. People from all over the world have moved/are trying to move to the US to gain jobs and they will work day and night to bring themselves above the required skill level.

Silicon Valley is extremely popular among software engineers and, with any successful company, the salary is quite comfortably in the 6 figures. However, the cost of living in this area also reflects that.

Wages decrease outside this area but so does the cost of living, so they go hand in hand.

You could take a look at monster.com or craigslist.org for open positions and rough salaries around different parts of the country. But honestly, if you can gain a work visa through your own company, that is your best bet to get your foot in the door. Its not easy to get a job in another country with no credit or work history in said country, let alone get a work visa.

Advertisement