Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Clarity - New TV

• 07-01-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I have done a couple of searches, but am a bit confused by the answers so hope you can help me out!

Just purchase a new LG HD Ready 42' in the Currys sale.

I have this hooked up to the standard UPC box (scart lead, no HDMI option with the box) and the picture isnt as clear as I was hoping it would be. I watched a match and it was a small bit blurry/ pixilated.

Its still all legible and fine to watch, but i am wondering if there is any way of improving its performance with the channels? Or is it just the case of the UPC channels being strecthed to a bigger TV meaning the clarity is gone?

I was looking into the possibility of upgrading the box to HD & connecting with a HDMI cable, but from the threads i think it may be the quality/ signal of the UPC chanells thats the problem?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You are most likely sending a composite video signal down the SCART cable instead of RGB, try this on the UPC remote....

Menu/Settings/TV Settings/Picture Quality and set it to High(RGB), that will give an immediate improvement in picture quality.
    rosenallis wrote: »
    I watched a match and it was a small bit blurry/ pixilated.

If that was the FA Cup on UTV over the weekend then I'm afraid that UTV is always sh1te on UPC but the procedure above should improve the picture quality on most of the other channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Upgrading to an HD box and an HDMI connection will improve things quite a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rosenallis

coylemj wrote: »
    You are most likely sending a composite video signal down the SCART cable instead of RGB, try this on the UPC remote....

Menu/Settings/TV Settings/Picture Quality and set it to High(RGB), that will give an immediate improvement in picture quality.

If that was the FA Cup on UTV over the weekend then I'm afraid that UTV is always sh1te on UPC but the procedure above should improve the picture quality on most of the other channels.

It was just a taped rugby match i tried to see what sports looked like and it wasnt great.

I changed to RGB but no significant change. I think my expectations are just too high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blindsider

It was just a taped rugby match i tried to see what sports looked like and it wasnt great.

I changed to RGB but no significant change. I think my expectations are just too high

When you say 'taped' what do you mean? Was it recorded on a UPC box or was it a tape/dvd that you recorded on another TV etc?

If it's the latter, then the quality (in my experience anyway) is never the same.

Are you MMDS (aerial) or cable?

A HDMI connection will (almost) definitely improve the quality on your TV.

blindsider wrote: »
    When you say 'taped' what do you mean? Was it recorded on a UPC box or was it a tape/dvd that you recorded on another TV etc?

If it's the latter, then the quality (in my experience anyway) is never the same.

Are you MMDS (aerial) or cable?

A HDMI connection will (almost) definitely improve the quality on your TV.

Sorry, I mean recorded of course. I recorded it a couple of months ago on the UPC box, and when I got the new TV i just tried it out as a tester. I have looked at a couple of sports matches on it, its not illegible of in any way unwatcheable, but i was hoping for a bit more!

I am cable.

I will have to upgrade the UPC box then as there is no HDMI connection facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blindsider

I say 'taped' myself and I get asked the same question, so I know exactly where you're coming from! :)

It's worth a call to UPC to chat it thorugh with them - there is a charge etc, so it might be worth starting with: 'New TV, picture's rubbish - a friend says I need to change to Sky...'

See what they offer you for a HD box subscription

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

I don't want to start a plasma v lcd debate but...

Go and look at the same signal on a Panasonic plasma tv and see can you see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

I have done a couple of searches, but am a bit confused by the answers so hope you can help me out!

Just purchase a new LG HD Ready 42' in the Currys sale.

I have this hooked up to the standard UPC box (scart lead, no HDMI option with the box) and the picture isnt as clear as I was hoping it would be. I watched a match and it was a small bit blurry/ pixilated.

Its still all legible and fine to watch, but i am wondering if there is any way of improving its performance with the channels? Or is it just the case of the UPC channels being strecthed to a bigger TV meaning the clarity is gone?

I was looking into the possibility of upgrading the box to HD & connecting with a HDMI cable, but from the threads i think it may be the quality/ signal of the UPC chanells thats the problem?

Many thanks in advance

Two suggestions:

1) take the TV back and get a full HD TV rather than a HD ready TV and
    2) get a STB from UPC with HDMI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

iba wrote: »
    Two suggestions:

1) take the TV back and get a full HD TV rather than a HD ready TV and
    2) get a STB from UPC with HDMI.

1): :rolleyes:
    2): Looks like the best course of action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

One thing I will say is a purchase of a TV needs to be researched. Too many people walk into Harvey Norman or Currys etc and get fed rubbish and purchase on the spot. Most of the time you will find great offers on Pixmania or sites such as that.

Just because the sales man says it has 17 Flux Capacitors and 15 Fluggelbinders doesnt mean he is telling the truth or if it even matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well, I've always found most of the non-Irish sourced, non-HD channels to be poor quality on UPC; heavily compressed and very noticeable particularly on dark scenes. It seems to have improved of late - either they've done something, or my new plasma does a better job with a poor image.

The other things to check are the resolution & aspect ratio the UPC box is sending out and the TV is set to. I remember a long time ago on the old UPC box it was 'zooming in' the picture, so it was cutting off the left and right edges and the picture was blurrier than it should be. Once corrected, that made a huge difference (sorry, I don't recall the names of the settings on that box).

Advertisement