Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who like a bit of Sci-Fi

Options
  • 07-01-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

A pseudo documentary on Discovery channel, which has been aired before. Pity I didn't know about it before. But it was enjoyable to watch. I wonder how many folks actually believed this :D

Anyway it is a good bit of flight of fancy if you don't mind dumbing yourself down a little bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaids:_The_Body_Found

and:

Have a laugh.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd reckon a scary amount of people thought it real. Bit of craic as a drama, but that does worry me a tad, especially when it'd shown on a channel like Discovery. Especially given how many out there think god knocked up the universe in a week and then flooded the place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I had the same worrying thoughts Wibbs. No offence intended but I see kids and Americans being the groups with the most belief in that pseudo-documentary.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A lot of the documentary channels show nothing but conspiracy theory stuff and reality shows these days. Can't remember the last time I saw something on History actually relative to history. I remember when I used to watch those channels to learn about stuff that really happened :D

Eden is the best one at the moment I think, its my default channel if there's nothing on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I personally enjoyed it a lot. It is well thought and its good imagination fuel.
    I especially enjoyed the
    Megalodon appearance
    which I really wasn´t expecting.
    I think it was an improvement over the terrible Dragons, A Fantasy Made Real. Anyone saw that?

It raises a very vague memory Adam , but I am not sure to be honest. I probably didn't see it or not take a lot of notice if it is that weak a memory though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:(

was expecting bigfoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Adam Khor wrote: »
    I personally enjoyed it a lot. It is well thought and its good imagination fuel.
    I especially enjoyed the
    Megalodon appearance
    which I really wasn´t expecting.
    I think it was an improvement over the terrible Dragons, A Fantasy Made Real. Anyone saw that?

Was the dragon one , where they found a dragon or the remains of one in a cave ? Set in a mountain range

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It was certainly better than that 'Did Aliens Kill The Dinosaurs?' crapfest the History Channel showed a while back...

Owryan wrote: »
    Was the dragon one , where they found a dragon or the remains of one in a cave ? Set in a mountain range

Yes, that's the one.

You'd swear there wasn't enough real stuff in the world worthy of documentation the way they keep making it up...

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    You'd swear there wasn't enough real stuff in the world worthy of documentation the way they keep making it up...

Well this show did document (kinda) the aquatic ape theory, the dolphin cooperation with fishermen if I remember clearly, and other interesting stuff that is actually real... I see nothing wrong with using these elements to create a work of fiction. I do agree that we need more actual wildlife documentaries tho....

I don't like the way they put it on channels that are supposed to feature real documentaries in order to dupe the unsuspecting public (a look online will reveal that many people are adamant that it's all real). 'The Body Found' is a good film, but it's only that - a film.

Wasn´t there a disclaimer or anything?

I remember my father did believe it was real. Not the CG parts of course, but that the body had been found...

Wasn´t there a disclaimer or anything?

As the end credits rolled. Unfortunately it would seem not everybody can read.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't like the way they put it on channels that are supposed to feature real documentaries in order to dupe the unsuspecting public (a look online will reveal that many people are adamant that it's all real). 'The Body Found' is a good film, but it's only that - a film.
    Ah, its a small step back in the right direction for discovery. How many more look-what-I-found-in-a-storage-unit or look-at-the-big-stupid-gun-I-made shows does the world need?

I will not hear a bad word uttered about Man Versus Food...

I will not hear a bad word uttered about Man Versus Food...

That man is a wimp. :D Got no stomach for food if you ask me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rubecula wrote: »
    That man is a wimp. :D Got no stomach for food if you ask me :pac:
    And it begins!

:D

And so it ends... for Rubecula's account! :mad:

Anyway....back on topic . I ve a downloaded version of "the body found" shown on american as opposed to uk/irish tv . Apart from bad editing from all the bloody ad breaks , every few minures a banner scrolls across saying "this broadcast is a docu-rama and not a factual broadcast".

I will give the makers credit for making a better documentary than many of the so called real docs' shown these days. I genuinely feel tv and esp modern documentarys are been seriously dumbed down .

• Advertisement

Anyway....back on topic . I ve a downloaded version of "the body found" shown on american as opposed to uk/irish tv . Apart from bad editing from all the bloody ad breaks , every few minures a banner scrolls across saying "this broadcast is a docu-rama and not a factual broadcast".

I will give the makers credit for making a better documentary than many of the so called real docs' shown these days. I genuinely feel tv and esp modern documentarys are been seriously dumbed down .

This is about a million times better than Animal Face Off or Jurassic Fight Club IMO

This is about a million times better than Animal Face Off or Jurassic Fight Club IMO

Or 'Dinosaur Secrets' as it is known over here. Both JFC and Dinosaur Revolution ('Reign of the Dinosaurs' over here) followed a very similar pattern.
    Release sub par dinosaur show in the States. Get bad reviews. Release in Europe the best part of a year later with a name change (all you have to do is photoshop the ad bumpers) and hope everyone has forgotten by now.

Bumpity bump bump, bump ..........................who would of expected it ? But there is a follow up ;http://m.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/mermaids/videos/the-new-evidence-are-mermaids-real

Interview style with one of the "scientists" from the original film.

Genuinely wasnt sure if they were trying to be serious or not and unlike the original which was trying to raise awareness of the link between beachings and navy sonar, this time there seemed to be no real message.

The message was, "Holy crap that last one smashed our ratings record - let's do another one!"

So now we have one of these about dragons, two about merfolk, and one about Megalodon.
    What's next? Bigfoot, Nessie, or the Mokele Mbembe?

Dinosaurs from Space maybe, telling us they really evolved on Mars and came here on the back of a comet that picked them up after a nuclear armageddon on Mount Olympus.

Hey what a great documentary that would make, do you think I could sell the idea to National Geographic?

Nat Geo, I'm not sure, but History Channel would buy it in a heartbeat XD

There's been a show on all week called 'Finding Bigfoot'. I bet they don't find him.
    There was also one a year or two ago about a giant anaconda - really badly faked.

There's been a show on all week called 'Finding Bigfoot'. I bet they don't find him.
    There was also one a year or two ago about a giant anaconda - really badly faked.

Amy of those "finding/searching" format shows should just get the guy from "river monsters" in. He always seems to catch what he is after.

• Advertisement

Amy of those "finding/searching" format shows should just get the guy from "river monsters" in. He always seems to catch what he is after.

As rare/little known as the River Monster creatures may have been, there was never any doubt that they existed in the first place... and didn´t he actually discover a new species in one of the episodes? Those weird legless worm/eel/caecilian thingies that even he thought were gross?

Advertisement